Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last Lakota code talker passes on....

Chas

One Too Many
That's sad news.

The service of North America's native peoples in the armed services of the USA and Canada has a long and distinguished history, and fortunately there are some sources to be found on the subject.

What I have gleaned from my readings on WWI is that in the native people's cultures (with some minor differences) there is a common thread of the "Warrior Culture" where the true indicator of a man's status in his community is his status as a warrior. That is the best explanation for why people who's culture and traditions were actively supressed in both the USA and Canada would put their lives on the line for a country where they were considered second class citizens.

During the outset of WWI the British Army specifically suggested a Regiment of Mohawk Indians- the British having not forgotten the contributions of the Mohawk people in the Seven Years' war, the Revolutionary and The War of 1812. Canada's Minister of Militia and Defense, Sam Hughes, being a racist, refused the idea outright. That didn't stop hundreds of young native Canadian men from volunteering. Canadian native soldiers distinguished themselves in both wars, excelling at bushcraft, sniping, scouting and so on. They were natural soldiers. Francis Pegahmagabow, an Ojibway from Ontario, holds the British Army's record for confirmed sniper kills - somewhere in the 300+ range. Another famous sniper of the Great War was Johnny Norwest, a Northern Cree.

Canada's most famous native soldier of WW2 was Tommy Prince who distinguished himself in Italy. He was also awarded the US Silver Star, while serving as a member of the joint US-Canadian unit, the "Devil's Brigade."
PA_142287.jpg

The highest rank achieved by a native soldier is that of Oliver Milton Martin (Six Nations Mohawk), who served in the CEF, The RFC and achieved the rank of Brigadier General in WW2.

There are two Navajo Code Talkers Memorials -one in Phoenix, AZ and one in Window Rock, Az. I know of one more place to visit next time I'm in the Southwest. There is a myspace page. Wolf Guts was Lakota, and I don't personally know of any Lakota monuments to their code talkers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy