Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Lazy" Vintage Hair Ideas

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tease my hair at the roots, throw it in a pony tail, tie a velvet ribbon, instant rockabilly pony tail!! Luckily for me my hair stylist is a good friend, I can stop in any time and she puts my hair up for me. This is a huge help!! I just haven't had much energy to do much of anything, let alone set my hair. Carusoe Steam Rollers are my best friends at the moment when I need to actually leave the house and don't have Shell's around to do it for me! Those things rock, heat up so quickly, give a great curl that lasts all day.

PS

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
Tease my hair at the roots, throw it in a pony tail, tie a velvet ribbon, instant rockabilly pony tail!! Luckily for me my hair stylist is a good friend, I can stop in any time and she puts my hair up for me. This is a huge help!! I just haven't had much energy to do much of anything, let alone set my hair. Carusoe Steam Rollers are my best friends at the moment when I need to actually leave the house and don't have Shell's around to do it for me! Those things rock, heat up so quickly, give a great curl that lasts all day.

Daisy,
Could you give me some tips on using the steam rollers. So far they haven't done a darn thing for me. First I was letting them get too wet, but when I steam them for just a few seconds I don't get much wave or curl. I have to wrap tiny tiny sections of hair to get much effect.

Thanks xo

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
retromom147 said:
Sometimes I roll my hair in french twists on both sides of my hair winding it away from my ears then pull it all into a ponytail and clip...It looks vintage and cute. Hairnets can be helpful with a ruined set to...brush it as best you can do the twist on both sides ponytail and wrap a hairnet around a pageboy looking end.
Could you please post a pic of the french twist - pony tail combo? I don't really get the idea.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Some of those polygamist Mormons have rather cute hairstyles :eek:

Polygamist_Retreat_249471c.jpg

f8b82a41-59e2-4408-816b-7d98fd8beccd.widec.jpg
]

Smuterella

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
Some of those polygamist Mormons have rather cute hairstyles :eek:

Polygamist_Retreat_249471c.jpg

f8b82a41-59e2-4408-816b-7d98fd8beccd.widec.jpg
]

oh, the Zion "rescue" yes, I saw that. apparently they aren't allowed products and so only used sugar water

Magpie Annie

Familiar Face
Oh my goodness! Fleur I almost fell out of my chair! Polygamist cult! I cant believe that I had not heard about this! And I think you are right, far far from lazy dos, but post-worthy nonetheless! lol

Joan

New in Town
French twist

Smuterella said:
its awful to admit but I have no idea how to do a french twist or a french plait
I've seen directions for a french twist in magazines, and they're bizarre. They all seem to be written by male hairdressers, and not by women who do their hair like that, so maybe that explains it. Here's how I was taught to do a french twist (by a woman who did her hair like that every day):

1. Pull your hair back into a low ponytail, then begin twisting the hair as if to make a chignon.
2. When your hair is twisted, pull the hair up toward the crown.
3. When you get to the crown, either twist the rest of the hair into a little chignon on top (as my neighbor did) or fold it down and tuck it under the twist.
4. Stick pins in the seam and in the top. I use one in the top and two in the seam.

This takes me about 30 seconds, and I'm not particularly dexterous. :)

Here's a nice site with directions and photos. She starts her ponytail high (which apparently is the standard way to do it):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1047277717/French+Twist

MissHannah

One Too Many
Joan said:
I've seen directions for a french twist in magazines, and they're bizarre. They all seem to be written by male hairdressers, and not by women who do their hair like that, so maybe that explains it. Here's how I was taught to do a french twist (by a woman who did her hair like that every day):

1. Pull your hair back into a low ponytail, then begin twisting the hair as if to make a chignon.
2. When your hair is twisted, pull the hair up toward the crown.
3. When you get to the crown, either twist the rest of the hair into a little chignon on top (as my neighbor did) or fold it down and tuck it under the twist.
4. Stick pins in the seam and in the top. I use one in the top and two in the seam.

This takes me about 30 seconds, and I'm not particularly dexterous. :)

Here's a nice site with directions and photos. She starts her ponytail high (which apparently is the standard way to do it):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1047277717/French+Twist

You get a french twist to hold with three pins??!!! It takes me about a million pins, half a can of hairspray and it STILL falls out after about 5 hours. My hair is mutant.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Figured this is the best place to post this. With summer now here, what do you ladies do to keep you hair off your neck and easy peasy? Looking for something to do with my hair for work, other than a pony or twist. Hotter weather equals a more sensitive head for me and I am SSSOOOO trying not to cut it off again. Right now it's just past my shoulders. I'm not an office gal, do a lot of bending, lefting, etc.
Thanks

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't know what I'll do if we have a heatwave again. I'll probably just be grateful that I live in a time when no one expects me to have curled or polished hair. I do know that I don't care that everyone wants me to grow my hair out one length. I need layers from the ears and down so I can get some air to my scalp. Of course this means I can't put my hair up.

pretty faythe, could you roll the front and just keep the rest in a net or scarf? I really don't know what to suggest. Twist hair and cover with straw hat. This could be an excuse to search for pretty hat pins.

Sunny

One Too Many
I do a back roll. Gather my hair smoothly at the nape of my neck and roll it up, then instead of pinning, using a metal clip of some kind through the roll to secure it to the scalp. Depending on how desperate I am, how fast I work, and how uncooperative my hair is, it can be either very neat or rather crooked; but the point is that it's UP.

The only pictures I have show a pretty fast (i.e. messy) version, but you get the idea.
DSC00846.jpg
DSC00854_detail.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sugar water works great!

If you don't mind the bees being attracted to you...

I have used it in a pinch. Honey water is a bit better though. And of course, you all know that you use honey water to stiffen your organdy when ironing?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Referee Whistle Tweets

Ladies Ladies.....

Fine to discuss their hair....but Please do NOT start discussing anything past that. Social Commentary about this belongs elsewhere.

I have already cleaned up the comments that were not adding to the -topical- discussion...

I will just start editing and removing comments about anything past their hair. Got it?

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
Sorry about that Miss N!
I guess I am just a little passionate about some things!lol
Miss Neecerie said:
Referee Whistle Tweets

Ladies Ladies.....

Fine to discuss their hair....but Please do NOT start discussing anything past that. Social Commentary about this belongs elsewhere.

I have already cleaned up the comments that were not adding to the -topical- discussion...

I will just start editing and removing comments about anything past their hair. Got it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy