Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Le (Vintage) Mot Juste!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Post here those passages from Golden Era literature that just make you sit back and sigh with delight.

For starters, here is a passage from Fred Allen's introduction to "Low Man On A Totem Pole," a 1941 collection of essays by the newspaperman H. Allen Smith. Smith is forgotten today, alas, but Allen's description of the man in his foreword is truly unforgettable, and might be especially interesting to those who frequent clothing fora:

"Smith, sartorially, baffles description. He is at once the despair of the moth and the tailor. His overcoat appears to be a tight Inverness with mess-jacket sleeves. His hat is felt at a disadvantage. Even the tiny feather that juts from his hatband seems to be moulting. His suit is a rhapsody in rummage. The coat cascades from his clavicle and sort of peters out north of his sacral plexus. The horizontal wrinkles in the cloth give one the impression that Smith is standing behind a tweed venetian blind. His vest hangs down like a cloth noose. At first glance it appears to be a sarong with no sense of direction. His Elk's tooth has a cavity in it. His trousers bag from the hips on down. From the front they look like herringbone funnels. In profile you find they are butt-sprung and hang in the back like cloth jowls. Smith's haberdashery is the talk of surrealist circles. His necktie is a cross between a hawser that comes with a toy boat and three feet of twine in Technicolor. His shoes can only be described as leather figments of a demented cobbler's imagination. In general appearance, Smith can only be saluted as Saroyan's conception of a white-collar worker."

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Dorothy Parker:

"The woman with the pink velvet poppies twined round the assisted gold of her hair traversed the crowded room at an interesting gait combining a skip with a sidle, and clutched the lean arm of her host."
(--"Arrangement in Black and White")

". . . They are not long, the weeping and the laughter; love and desire and hate I think will have no portion in us after we pass the gate. But none, I think, do there embrace. I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree. I think I will not hang myself today. Ay tank Ay go home now."
(-- A mental monologue amid insomnia, in "The Little Hours")

If you only know her poems, hie thee to a bookseller or library and check out her incomparable short stories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn