Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lead in Lipstick!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
This is outrageous! Thank you for posting this! I use Clinique Angel Red which has detectable but "allowable" levels of lead. Now I am wondering about my other Clinique lipsticks- the study says levels vary by state and shade.

As far as I'm concerned there should be no lead whatsoever.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Blondie said:
i realise that.
Delete it if you feel it isn't relevant.

Blondie- I don't have the power to delete- it's not my forum. I was simply adding onto your post in case someone thought it was referring to the original article.

Foofoogal

Banned
I am sorry but I got this off the Yahoo main page this morning as well as it being in my local Houston Chronicle newspaper this morning.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5207412.html

Ignorance is not bliss and I am not a fearmonger at all. I think it is beyond ludicrous and insane that we need to worry about lead at all. The other day they found it in babies bibs.
I think it is very relevant to this forum.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
Thank you for posting this! It was the first thing I read on Yahoo News this morning. Really scary, if you ask me.

Thanks to all the ladies who put those other websites in to find out more about the products we use -- I'm going to share that with all of the ladies dear to me.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
If I remember correctly, this has been a problem for many years. I vaguely recall my Cosmetology school teacher saying something about red lipsticks having lead in them, especially the old ones (or more vintage if you will) and that she didn't care, she was going to wear red anyway, and she did! This was 12 years ago. It's so fuzzy, my memory of it, but I do remember her red lips, the tiny vintage tube of lipstick, and that it was definitely a vintage red, and she said they don't make lipstick like that anymore. And she said you can't find a true red anymore because of the lead problem. Something to that effect anyway. I just looked at the list, and they are reds. So maybe it's something about the color red, and where they get it from? Obviosuly, some had more lead than others and not all were of a true red color. But it is definitely not a *new* problem.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Good news to know, but it seems everything causes cancer lately! I just stopped keeping track and started doing what I believe will be good for me in the long run, as to not become paranoid about everything. But it is refreshing to know that I did pick the brands that contained little to no lead in them!

shebagrl

Familiar Face
BakingInPearls said:
Good news to know, but it seems everything causes cancer lately! I just stopped keeping track and started doing what I believe will be good for me in the long run, as to not become paranoid about everything. But it is refreshing to know that I did pick the brands that contained little to no lead in them!

Absolutely, BakingInPearls, and I agree. Personally, I think life is just too short anyway, why spend it in crippling fear of everything? I think it's just great to be aware of it -- then it's up to each of us to make that choice in the end. It's the not knowing upfront that bothers me the most!

Red -- I heard the same thing years ago from my sister when she went to cosmetology school. My grandmother, God bless her, was so funny about her lipsticks, too!

nyx

One of the Regulars
~*Red*~ said:
If I remember correctly, this has been a problem for many years. I vaguely recall my Cosmetology school teacher saying something about red lipsticks having lead in them, especially the old ones (or more vintage if you will) and that she didn't care, she was going to wear red anyway, and she did! This was 12 years ago. It's so fuzzy, my memory of it, but I do remember her red lips, the tiny vintage tube of lipstick, and that it was definitely a vintage red, and she said they don't make lipstick like that anymore. And she said you can't find a true red anymore because of the lead problem. Something to that effect anyway. I just looked at the list, and they are reds. So maybe it's something about the color red, and where they get it from? Obviosuly, some had more lead than others and not all were of a true red color. But it is definitely not a *new* problem.

Don't you remember a long time ago when they removed red m&m's from the mix? They finally brought them back, but I believe the issue had to do with the dye they were using back then. I think a lot of red dyes needed to be reformulated because of possible toxins, so I agree that it's not a new problem. That's probably why the vintage red your instructor wore isn't possible to get anymore.

What I found interesting about the original article was how the one company said that it was no more lead than was found in water. So that makes it ok? Any lead is bad, but the more you add the worse it gets. I deliberately bought a Brita filter for my tap water so that the lead doesn't get into my baby's water. The difference in taste was amazing and makes me feel a little better about what he's drinking. Reports about the neurological effects of lead ingestion in children are plentiful. I don't want to take the chance of kissing my baby (which I do about 400 times a day) and having him ingest any lead at all. Thanks for the articles, ladies. I think it's all very relevant. I can easily find a "low-lead" red from the list (which MAC seemed to be in--yay!) rather than a higher one. Even if the results don't "prove" that Cover Girl and L'Oreal are really higher, I'd rather not take the chance.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
And what is interesting is that the Body Shop, which had been an independent company with a strong commitment to the environment and concern about chemicals is now owned by Loreal. The Bodyshop had a low lead content, Loreal had a high lead content.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
nyx said:
I can easily find a "low-lead" red from the list (which MAC seemed to be in--yay!) rather than a higher one. Even if the results don't "prove" that Cover Girl and L'Oreal are really higher, I'd rather not take the chance.

Actually, the MAC matte lipsticks were ranked in the middle, listing moderate risk.

Adele

One of the Regulars
I was just about to post a link about this, but I'm glad that y'all already know about it.

Actually, the MAC matte lipsticks were ranked in the middle, listing moderate risk.

Noooooooo. :(

Brooksie

One Too Many
The makeup line I use is von Natur mineral makeup- they do not use any lead in any of thier products (they also have some nice red lip colors). von Natur is a full disclosure line, so each and every ingredient is listed every time (most of the products on the market are not full disclosure). Also there are no parabens in any of the products and they use organics and wild crafted ingredients in thier formulations.

www.vonnatur.com

Brooksie

lyburnum

Practically Family
Interesting that this should come up, as last night I was watching the british documentary "How Toxic Are You?" http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/T/toxic/ and it has a section on how to lighten up your chemical absorption.

After watching it and realising that actually I'm absorbing a lot more into my skin than I thought, I've decided to phase out some of my beauty products for more natural ones. Mostly replacing my MAC makeup with lily lo lo mineral cosmetics. I've been thinking about this for a while anyway as they're supposed to be better for your skin, but I guess the documentary kicked me into action. I'm not going to become obsessive about it, I just think it's probably a good thing to do what you can to make a difference.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Ditto Lyburnum, I watched it, and was pleased to see Lily Lolo as I have been using it for about 9 months now. I also use a few different Lush products (Coal face and Angels on Bare skin) a SLS-free shampoo, only pure witch hazel for toning and a paraben-free cream cleanser and moisturiser from Tescos (though they do have some man-made chemicals in, they have lots of good stuff too).

I do still use a silicone-filled conditioner, chemical-y hairspray and various cheap other makeup brands though as I haven't found any good, affordable substitutes.

I love Ecover and method branded cleaning products, though Ecover does not get my clothes clean enough so I stick with Ariel. I hope they keep making improvements so I can try and switch out more of my products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff