Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Conditioning and Cleaning Products

G-1_USN_USMC_USCG

New in Town
Hi there, Shipmates,
Was just wondering if anyone had ever used the Urad brand of leather conditioning and cleaning products? I have a late 60's G-1 jacket that has some very dry leather areas. Was wondering if these type of products could help to make the leather more supple and soft? Thanks for the advice and counsel. Hope those of you in U.S. are having a restful and safe Memorial Day weekend.

Cheers,
Mike

AdeeC

Practically Family
Hi there, Shipmates,
Was just wondering if anyone had ever used the Urad brand of leather conditioning and cleaning products? I have a late 60's G-1 jacket that has some very dry leather areas. Was wondering if these type of products could help to make the leather more supple and soft? Thanks for the advice and counsel. Hope those of you in U.S. are having a restful and safe Memorial Day weekend.

Cheers,
Mike
I have used plain Vaseline on my M422A navy type jackets with great success. Also avoids the solvent smells from propriety dressings that take ages to fade away.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
There's a range of threads on this subject - do a search. Pecards usually wins the popular vote. Lexol and Renapur also work well in my experience.

Peacoat

Bartender
There's a range of threads on this subject - do a search. Pecards usually wins the popular vote. Lexol and Renapur also work well in my experience.
Yes, there have been a wealth of threads on here about this topic. Pecard is usually the favorite. I have used it, as well as others, with good results. Our friends down under like R. W. Williams, which is evidently widely available there. I have looked for it locally without success.

Thank you for the Memorial Day reminder. I am temporarily out of the country, so it was nice to be reminded about it.

Duty, Honor, Country. Ron.

Peacoat

Bartender
Now, the internet is full of people whining about how Pecard basically ruins leather 'cause it's based on petroleum which eats through fibers, dries up leather and kills your pets.

Which I believe is nonsense because: https://www.pecard.com/is-petrolatum-safe-for-leather/
Thanks for finding that and posting it, Monitor. Good job.

Of course Pecard is safe for leather; that is what it is formulated for. I have been using it, as well as other products containing petroleum distillates, for 28 years with good results.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Mike, Peacoat -- Thank you for your service!!

To anyone else serving or who has served - thank you as well.

Ok for the OP topic, In cases of extremely dirty/stained or reeking jackets and boots I find in consignment and thrift shops, I use "Bick 1" for cleaning and let it sit overnight, then "Bick 4" for re-oiling. It's a lot like Rubbing compound you use on a car, then polish the painted service afterwards.

For lighter, routine teatments, I use Fieblings 4-way care or Lexol leather treatment, these products and the Bick products purchased from a local saddle shop. However for the Aero's I don't use anything....right off thier website: "This is even easier. Do nothing, absolutely nothing. Do not oil it, don't treat it with hide food - even ours, this is for old steerhide jackets and dried up old vintage horsehide jackets from the 1930s and 1940s, not for your Aero, well not until maybe 2035."
Read the whole break-in/care story here:
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/break-in.php

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i found a dry spot on my cow jacket today near the zipper, naturally I licked my finger and rub on it... maybe later at home I will dab it with some conditioner if I remember.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I use Obenauf's Leather Preserver. Darkens the leather a bit but seems to be relatively safe. I bought it for some boots and it does a nice job on jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner