Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Armholes

One of the Regulars
It all depends what's your interpretation of comfortable,if your jacket is for casual use,or MC riding, if you like snug fit or loose fit, there are so many variables.
I prefer snug fit jackets, and no so loose sleeves made for body builders arm trees.
Up to this point the majority of my jackets (not all) has armholes to big for my liking.
Hence I ordered a full custom made jacket with specific instructions about the arm holes.
When I get it I will open a new thread.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've never had uncomfortable armholes - but I have had armholes which were too big and thus made the jacket ride up like bat wings when I lifted my arms.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks for the replies.

I suppose what I have in mind for uncomfortable armholes is this: when raising the arms, the whole jacket rides up including the shoulders - like what happens with most modern suit jackets. I think this is referred to as "low armholes", but I am not sure.

I'm not sure if this is the same as the "batwing" effect, or if that concerns having too much fabric in the armpit area.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the replies.

I suppose what I have in mind for uncomfortable armholes is this: when raising the arms, the whole jacket rides up including the shoulders - like what happens with most modern suit jackets. I think this is referred to as "low armholes", but I am not sure.

I'm not sure if this is the same as the "batwing" effect, or if that concerns having too much fabric in the armpit area.

Yep that's the batwing effect. And it's not just armholes - it's generally inadequate tailoring that does this. Mind you, many vintage jacket's I've had do this too. A tailor I spoke to said it had to do with the cut of the side panels as well as the armholes and how the arms were stitched into the jacket body.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Yep that's the batwing effect. And it's not just armholes - it's generally inadequate tailoring that does this. Mind you, many vintage jacket's I've had do this too. A tailor I spoke to said it had to do with the cut of the side panels as well as the armholes and how the arms were stitched into the jacket body.

Thanks. This is something that really bothers me about jackets: shouldn't one of the primary concerns of a jacket manufacturer be that the user may move around comfortably? On the other hand, I suppose most people don't perform any appreciable work in their jackets anymore, and so most manufacturers don't have to take freedom of movement into account.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thats one thing I dislike about the Aero Halfbelt, movement is so restricted due to the low armholes.

Someone else had mentioned this about an Aero jacket, though I can't remember if it was a Halfbelt. If I remember correctly, the person insinuated that this is true of Aero's civilian jackets, but not of the military repos. Is this true?

NewVintage

New in Town
u got it rite in ur last post before this one. dont think many ppl care about changin tires or something in their jkts anymore.

pretty dumb 2 make motorcycle jkts so that they lift up when u actually ride em not sure why i had to search a long time 2 find something good.

u got it rite in ur last post before this one. dont think many ppl care about changin tires or something in their jkts anymore.

pretty dumb 2 make motorcycle jkts so that they lift up when u actually ride em not sure why i had to search a long time 2 find something good.

Would you mind using whole words? Is it that difficult? This is not myspace.

acl1

Familiar Face
it also has to do with the scythe, ie the angle with which the armhole is cut. Some manufacturers use more symmetrical circles than ovals, which results in a much less flexible armhole, as it doesn't contour with your arm shape.

Tim Tempest

New in Town
Yes this thread is the closest to my problem although I am not certain that arm holes are the problem...
I'm on my second Aero chips,having gone from a 44" to a 46" & while there is plenty of actual chest room,it is still annoyingly tight around the back/shoulders/arms..or one or more of those..
I Wish I knew exactly what the cause is so I could give them coherent instructions ..I have to order a third anyway as the current ones too short in length & sleeve length,I think another inch or two is required..& I want the red quilted lining..
My brother has the first jacket (a 44") & I may sell the second.
I heard these are meant to hug the body snuggly,so probably unwise to go up to 48"..especially as I will be losing some weight..
I'll get there in the end hopefully..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529-025807.png
    Screenshot_20220529-025807.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 114

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
I have what many consider to be high armholes on my Aero Seven.

In all honesty, they are not as comfortable as the armholes on an old Schott and newer Ralph Lauren jacket I have. When I move my arms forward there is a slight pressure into the front of my shoulder.However, they do not cause the jacket to ride up with the batwing effect and the narrower sleeve barrel width looks much better on.

i guess there is some trade-off between ultimate comfort and something that you would like to be seen in out in public. Dad jeans are comfortable but look ridiculous.

Tim Tempest

New in Town
It all depends what's your interpretation of comfortable,if your jacket is for casual use,or MC riding, if you like snug fit or loose fit, there are so many variables.
I prefer snug fit jackets, and no so loose sleeves made for body builders arm trees.
Up to this point the majority of my jackets (not all) has armholes to big for my liking.
Hence I ordered a full custom made jacket with specific instructions about the arm holes.
Ah I see..yeah thats what I shall have to do when its time for the final measurements..inform them it was tight across the arms..I will look forward to your thread then..nice one

Edward

Bartender
i guess there is some trade-off between ultimate comfort and something that you would like to be seen in out in public. Dad jeans are comfortable but look ridiculous.

Had to google "dad jeans". Just looks like high waist, wide leg - standard 30s-50s sort of fit. Quite popular in these cyber-parts for some reason.

Tim Tempest

New in Town
Yeah the 44'' barrel would of been ok if the arm holes had been..farther apart I suppose..Going up to 46'' didnt change that..so I guess I need to include like shoulder to shoulder measurements..I'll ask Chloe..
That front quarter horse hide though..love it..warms up nice in the sun

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This might be a good question for @JMax, I believe he owns an Aero CHP in blue FQHH.
In any case I would be very clear with the folks at Aero regarding the fit problems you experienced with the previous two jackets because it would be a real shame to have this one turn out wrong as well

Tim Tempest

New in Town
Yes..I suspect it might be shoulder to shoulder as opposed to body barrel size..
Definitely researching this one in time for final measurements

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo