Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket in "The Big Sleep" 1946

Charlie

Familiar Face
Hello

What a movie, what a jacket !!!

bigsleep2.jpg

bigsleep3.jpg

bigsleep.jpg

really looks like this one (especially the back patern with the plea of eas):

img55908764.jpg

img55908763.jpg

img55908880.jpg

img55908884.jpg

anyone own a half-belt jacket with the same back patern ???

J

john z

I'm sorry to say I don't own a jacket with that kind of back detail. My halfbelt is a of the plain & simple variety. That Neal Cassady you put pics up of is a beaut. Is it a current repro & if so where can I buy one from? Cheers.

Jay

Practically Family
Wow. I've seen that movie so many times yet missed the nice details on that jacket. Thanks for the pics. That was the guy who shot Joe Brody, right?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Is there a Ginsburg one?

Edit: No, there isn't. Well, pull my daisy.

These are beautifully designed and built jackets, but for GBP 1000 you could get a couple custom made in the hide of your choice from you-know-who. (It's unfair to mention the competition when suggesting copying jacket styles.)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
Is there a Ginsburg one?

Edit: No, there isn't. Well, pull my daisy.

These are beautifully designed and built jackets, but for GBP 1000 you could get a couple custom made in the hide of your choice from you-know-who. (It's unfair to mention the competition when suggesting copying jacket styles.)

Wouldn't any custom maker just try to talk you out of the style? Except one, anyway. (The guy currently making really righteous A-1s.)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
You're right, but I reckon you could get quite close.

What do you see as the sticking points in replicating these jackets: the slim cut or the finer details, like the pointy collars and 2-button cuffs. etc.?

fishmeok

Vendor
There is a lot of work required to make something like that, but if you can make an M-422A or a G-1 you can make any half belt. The hardest part as always is getting the pattern correct- the only way to really get it right is to study period jackets and patterns. It's a time consuming and money losing situation, unless you enjoy that sort of thing, or charge high-fashion prices, or can make it up in volume.

I only fit into one of those catagories, and it's not the ones where I make money...:)
Cheers
Mark

Feraud

Bartender
Creeping Past said:
You're right, but I reckon you could get quite close.

What do you see as the sticking points in replicating these jackets: the slim cut or the finer details, like the pointy collars and 2-button cuffs. etc.?
Demand.

It is no long lost secret to shape a collar, add snaps, buttons, pleats, etc. to a jacket. Jackets on the market today will have many of these individual details. What the vintage crowd likes are the particular combination of details.
There has to be a demand or a trend (as in those 30s-40s era jackets) for makers to produce these garments.

mattfink

Practically Family
Man, my heart was full of joy until I read that * people made it....

HoosierDaddy said:
The repro jacket in the photo is made by "The Few"..and sold in Japan.
HD

*An uncool reference to anyone. - Feraud

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24