Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Motor

I purchased Dinerman's Stetson "The Motor" zephyr weight fedora via ebay auction... received it the other day. I was captivated by the sweatband imprint and the vintage, which is possibly 1920s. The hat is in relatively good shape. the major flaw being a pair of holes fore and aft. On inspection, they looked less True Grit and more like a William Tell demonstration gone bad, so I decided to do some work on it in the hat studio (formerly known as my kitchen.)

The felt is Stetson's standard quality - lightweight, but not as light or as responsive as my Borsalino featherweight - but a nice 2oz. body that is hard to come by these days. The ribbon on the other hand is heavy and firm - different than any other hat ribbon in my collection. I made two small patches from black fabric to support the two tears and applied them inside the hat with Fabri-Tac (a permanent fabric adhesive that is acid and lignin free and can be removed with acetone if necessary.) I didn't play with the repair too much - sometimes it's hard to know when to stop. The front tear now has a Harry Potter kind of character - a fair nod to the age of the hat and to the life that it's seen.

A little stitching to reapply a loose ribbon and some steam to soften the very sharp creases and it was ready to wear. When the snow season passes, it will be a nice fedora to wear motoring in my black and white mini cooper.

cheers,
Alan

motor8.jpg

motor3.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor1.jpg

motor4a.jpg

motor7.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Looks great on you! And the work you've done seems to have given it a whole new life. Excellent all around.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Cool hat. Too bad about the damaged felt. Your new hat reminds me very much of one of my 30s era Stetsons. Based on what you say, I think mine is probably lighter, but the resemblance of form is striking (to me anyway).

Very cool ... motor on dude :car:

Cool hat. Too bad about the damaged felt. Your new hat reminds me very much of one of my 30s era Stetsons. Based on what you say, I think mine is probably lighter, but the resemblance of form is striking (to me anyway).:

My Borsalino featherweight is 2.5 ozs... the Motor is 3. Still very light. I think the ribbon must account for half the weight... it's a beefy slab of grosgrain.

thanks! Alan

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm really regretting not going for that one, now that I see it in its restored glory! Nice job. You wear it very well.

You've quickly become a formidable player among us hat folks! ;) Another great one, sir!

Cheers,

One Too Many
Stetson

I purchased Dinerman's Stetson "The Motor" zephyr weight fedora via ebay auction... received it the other day. I was captivated by the sweatband imprint and the vintage, which is possibly 1920s. The hat is in relatively good shape. the major flaw being a pair of holes fore and aft. On inspection, they looked less True Grit and more like a William Tell demonstration gone bad, so I decided to do some work on it in the hat studio (formerly known as my kitchen.)

The felt is Stetson's standard quality - lightweight, but not as light or as responsive as my Borsalino featherweight - but a nice 2oz. body that is hard to come by these days. The ribbon on the other hand is heavy and firm - different than any other hat ribbon in my collection. I made two small patches from black fabric to support the two tears and applied them inside the hat with Fabri-Tac (a permanent fabric adhesive that is acid and lignin free and can be removed with acetone if necessary.) I didn't play with the repair too much - sometimes it's hard to know when to stop. The front tear now has a Harry Potter kind of character - a fair nod to the age of the hat and to the life that it's seen.

A little stitching to reapply a loose ribbon and some steam to soften the very sharp creases and it was ready to wear. When the snow season passes, it will be a nice fedora to wear motoring in my black and white mini cooper.

cheers,
Alan

motor8.jpg

motor3.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor1.jpg

motor4a.jpg

motor7.jpg
Good family hat, stetson is one of my favourite brands, this is really a nice hat ¡¡¡¡¡

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

cheers,
Alan

motor8.jpg

motor3.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor1.jpg

motor4a.jpg

motor7.jpg

Alan,
That is a very impressive piece of work in that Zepher you have repaired from your photos to the hat itself !! I have to say that THAT hat truly works on you! Your head size/shape works well with that tallcrown/short brim 30's style! :)
Onward thru the fog :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR