Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Retire These Movie/TV Plots!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I just watched Stand and Deliver. It's about a man who quits a good-paying job to teach inner-city kids. He teaches calculus to East L.A. kids whom he convinces to come to school during the summer, early mornings and over Christmas break; it's not clear why most of the kids do so. The movie was just about as interesting as a...calculus class. Sorry, but I think he was nuts to quit his job and they were nuts to take the class.

I think Sister Act 2 belongs on this list.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Speaking of tiresome classrome cliches, how about campus hijinks with the zany frat boys going up against the Evil Dean and his minions. Just once I'd like to see them all expelled, disinherited, and flipping burgers for a living.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Speaking of tiresome classrome cliches, how about campus hijinks with the zany frat boys going up against the Evil Dean and his minions. Just once I'd like to see them all expelled, disinherited, and flipping burgers for a living.

Agreed!

Marcus

A-List Customer
Sorry if it's mentioned here already, but I'd like to put in a motion to stop a entire genre of TV.

Obliterate ALL so-called "reality" TV. If I see one more commerical for a show about dog-grooming, fat/drunk/high celebrities, people with a whole litter of kids, idiots trying to win the hearts of some other idiot or anything of the kind.... I will shoot my TV.

I would like to see a new Terminator where they send back a machine to take out Mark Burnett. After "Survivor" came out, everything went down the toilet.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:

About half the people in my immediate family are or were of that mold: hates school and authority. Only two of us finished high school. Almost all of us will work very hard at any job--we just won't do it for a jerk.

Not that troublemakers shouldn't be expelled: working at a crummy job will do more for your attitude towards school than all the ad campaigns and presidential speeches ever will.

LizzieMaine said:
Yeah, but what about the geeks finally refusing to take being pushed around by the musclebound oafs on the football team and their enablers in PE Dept. and Admin anymore? (IMO, they tried to milk the Revenge of the Nerds franchise for far too long, but the theme of "brains over brawn" is one that could stand a little more use, even if it is at risk of giving young Poindexters false hope that someday they, too, might woo a cheerleader of their own.)

Can we 86 the perennial-losing-team-makes-championships cliche, too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy