Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New movie/show - Vintage Style

VoodooDolly

New in Town
Long post ahead - sorry! (Can't say I didn't warn you.) lol

Sometimes I find myself watching a newer TV show or movie, set in current time, and there is a character with great vintage style. These characters are not 100% period accurate, but they are still a fun opportunity to see a modern person doing a vintage look in a way that can be easily emulated by the rest of us. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate stills that I think properly show all of the characters I listed below, but you may have better luck than I with Google.

The first character I think of is "Chuck" from the show Pushing Daisies. She has a sort of 50s/60s style that is classic, but still fresh. Pushing Daisies generally has a very retro feel to it. It is well worth watching for eye candy alone.

There is a scene in the movie Addams Family Values where Gomez and Morticia are dancing in a restaurant. Gomez stops mid-dance to light a cigarette for a beautiful flapper girl whom I would love to look more like. :D In fact, throughout both the original Addams Family movie, and the sequel Addams Family Values, there are countless characters with a fun twist on vintage style.

There is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode called "Once More With Feeling" where the characters Anya and Xander do a song and dance number. Anya wears a fabulous red satin tap pant and bra ensemble, complete with red marabou topped mules. Xander wears some hep mens satin PJs to match.

Of course I had to mention Brendan Frasier's character in the movie Blast From the Past. He is maybe the only actor I can think of who could pull off some of the clothes his character wears.

Rose McGowan wears great pencil skirts and back-seam stockings in the movie Jawbreaker. Very pin-up.

And finally, Jennifer Tilly in Bound. Her character has a sexy vintage vampy look that somehow works so well in a modern setting.

Now that everyone knows too much about what I watch all day, are there any other newer characters that you folks think have great style?

Kiefer Sutherland in Crazy Moon (1987)

v03774tnrcu.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner