Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Hi all, I hope I'm not duplicating a previous thread. Balloon tire bicycles represent the golden age of bicycles, and they were most prevalent between 1933 and the late 1950s. A number of balloon tire retro cruiser models are still made today. What's a balloon tire some may ask? One with a width of more than two inches, such as the 26" x 2.125" found on most adult size ballooners. I've posted some photos on another thread, but I'll post them here again so you don't have to search. Below are a few from my collection.

ColumbiaF9T41.jpg

This is a reissue of the 1941 Columbia F9T "Superb" Dashboard Bike.

jy18_022.jpg

This is a 1936 Elgin I restored last year.

my30004.jpg

This is a 1946 or '47 JC Higgins I restored and subsequently sold to a friend.

ap25_002.jpg

This is a Roadmaster of indeterminate year. It's a real "mutt" of a bike, with many non standard parts, many from other makes.
-Chris

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
(it wouldn't let me PM this)

Hey there,

I noticed your post about your balloon tire bikes and I have to say the first photo (the remake of the "superb") is exactly what I am looking for.

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction to find more information about that bike, where I can get one, and how much they are?

Thank you,

Jeff Walker

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Those are some sweet rides, Kilroy!

My bike is a new bike with a vintage look. I have a Felt Racing Surf City USA. It looks like a woody - I added a big, geeky basket and a huge DING DONG bell.

m86045032.jpg

Here is a better stock photo with a full view:

huntingtonbeach_06.jpg

I love Felt bicycles - I have ridden several and they all ride like a dream. I may be getting a 1903 because I love the way it looks.

felt_1903.jpg

Let's see more of everyone's bikes! :)

Regards,

Matt

KilroyCD

One Too Many
crazylegsmurphy said:
(it wouldn't let me PM this)

Hey there,

I noticed your post about your balloon tire bikes and I have to say the first photo (the remake of the "superb") is exactly what I am looking for.

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction to find more information about that bike, where I can get one, and how much they are?

Thank you,

Jeff Walker

They are available new through only one source (unless you find an unused one on eBay or at a bike shop as I did), and that is "Boston Mike" Kaplan, who has the website www.nostalgiamerchants.com . He also sells on eBay as "Bac2the50s". The only color left now of the production run is "Berkshire Blue" and cream, as the "Mohawk Maroon" and cream bikes like mine are sold out. However, the maroon ones pop up from time to time on eBay. Expect to pay anywhere from $700 on up. The new ones that Boston Mike sells on eBay are $999 plus shipping. They are now out of production, and he only has a few left. Hope this helps!
-Chris

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Matt Noir said:
Those are some sweet rides, Kilroy!

My bike is a new bike with a vintage look. I have a Felt Racing Surf City USA. It looks like a woody - I added a big, geeky basket and a huge DING DONG bell.

m86045032.jpg

Here is a better stock photo with a full view:

huntingtonbeach_06.jpg

I love Felt bicycles - I have ridden several and they all ride like a dream. I may be getting a 1903 because I love the way it looks.

felt_1903.jpg

Let's see more of everyone's bikes! :)

Regards,

Matt

Matt, the Felt bikes are great! A friend of mine from the Minneapolis e-mailed me about his, and he loves it. He has a 2005 Felt VI (Vintage Iron) model. Nobody in my neck of the woods sells Felt bikes, so I can only drool over the website.
-Chris

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have two, both shown in other threads --

bike.jpg

This is my childhood bike, a 1962 Schwinn Hollywood -- not a ballooner, technically, but its middleweight cousin. Still a very solid ride, although it's got a few dents and chips.

crescent.jpg

1946 Westfield Crescent, salvaged from the dump. A *very* smooth riding bike, and my current daily ride to work.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
fe03002.jpg

I figure I'd post a pic of another one of my bikes, this time a Western Flyer (Columbia-built) that was a reissue of a 1953 model, but this bike was made sometime in the 80s. I added truss rods, a crashrail seat and mudflap.
-Chris

KilroyCD

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I have two, both shown in other threads --

bike.jpg

This is my childhood bike, a 1962 Schwinn Hollywood -- not a ballooner, technically, but its middleweight cousin. Still a very solid ride, although it's got a few dents and chips.

crescent.jpg

1946 Westfield Crescent, salvaged from the dump. A *very* smooth riding bike, and my current daily ride to work.

WOW! Nice Westfield! I'm rather partial to Columbia / Westfield bikes. I wish I had luck like that, finding something as nice as that at the dump. Nice original paint as well. Most of the bikes I get to restore are nicely rusted. The Schwinn is a beauty too, and I've noticed an increase in interest in the middleweights of the late 50s and early 60s. In fact, I'm in the middle of a "cost-is-no-object" restoration of a 1959 Columbia Apache 3 for a friend. It's the same model of bike he had in high school and into college (until it was stolen). He is looking to get a perfect, "as new" example when it's finished.
Below is a 1960 Ross Super Deluxe middleweight I restored for a customer.
-Chris
ja15014.jpg

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Here's my oldest bike, a 1969 Raleigh Sports. I posted this earlier regarding the Lake Pepin ride. Not quite a balloon tire, but it rides very nicely, much smoother than my 1980's Trek touring bikes. The Raliegh is a great bike for around town and easy country riding.

3speedtour20070519003.jpg

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie, I forgot to mention, keep you eyes out for bikes, they often turn up for little money in odd places. My Raliegh I bought for $20 and later added the cork grips, Brooks saddle and Blackburn racks. I found a 1989 Trek 520 touring bike at a Good will for $6.99; Trek still makes this bike - new retail on that bike is $1240. There are lots of bikes out there for little money if you keep looking.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
1949: Paperboy Phil's New Columbia

Phil Parsons lived in this unusual modern house in Ames, IA, in 1949.
He took this picture to show off his brand new Columbia bicycle, which he'd won for signing up new subscribers to the Ames Tribune.

The house has been owned by my family since 1971. I grew up there.
Phil still lives nearby and gave me the photo.
Click it to enlarge and see the bike.

The model appears to be the "Newsboy Special", popular for deliveries because of its heavy duty frame.

bikes2.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
nobodyspecial said:
Here's my oldest bike, a 1969 Raleigh Sports. I posted this earlier regarding the Lake Pepin ride. Not quite a balloon tire, but it rides very nicely, much smoother than my 1980's Trek touring bikes. The Raliegh is a great bike for around town and easy country riding.

3speedtour20070519003.jpg

Maybe I should have labeled this thread "Let's see your vintage bikes", as classic sportsters and roadsters are great bikes as well. I have a '62 Hercules Sportster and a "72 Humber sports that are both very similar to your Raleigh. Below is my 1940 Raleigh 28" Roadster. This has drum brakes front and rear, and is a really smooth ride.
-Chris
raleigh.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Phil Parsons lived in this unusual modern house in Ames, IA, in 1949.
He took this picture to show off his brand new Columbia bicycle, which he'd won for signing up new subscribers to the Ames Tribune.

The house has been owned by my family since 1971. I grew up there.
Phil still lives nearby and gave me the photo.
Click it to enlarge and see the bike.

The model appears to be the "Newsboy Special", popular for deliveries because of its heavy duty frame.

bikes2.jpg

Wow, that's a nice "Newsboy Special" in the second photo. That one is a late production example, as the curved middle bar was introduced late in that model's production life. Prior to that, the middle bar was straight. It's probably from the early to mid 1960s. The bike in front of the house is very definitely Columbia-built, but the frame style is the prewar style like my 1941 Superb reissue. The middle bar is slightly curved. The "hockey stick" chain guard was used by Columbia on many Westfield series bikes (actually, Westfield was the manufacturer, and Columbia was their premium line). This bike is likely either a Westfield, or one of the Columbia-built Goodyear "Highway Patrol" bikes. I'm leaning towards the latter, as Westfield bikes would likely have had the straight middle bar by 1949, since it was introduced in late 1945.
You can tell I'm into these bikes, huh?
-Chris

Mike K.

One Too Many
Okay, here's mine...

MikesBike.jpg

Now I know it's not in the same vintage category as some other balloon tire bikes, but this is my custom-made Schwinn Stingray. For those of us (of a certain vintage age) that remember, the original Stingrays were rather small 20 inch bikes. I decided to make an adult-sized Stingray. For the restoration, I took an old rusted 24 inch cruiser frame, had it sandblasted and powder coated in candy apple red. Next, I found as many original/repro Schwinn parts as possible (like the banana seat) and began the assembly. I located some 18 inch apehanger handlebars (larger than the original bars) in order to get the appropriate size proportions. Finally, I hand cut the chrome fenders and put on the finishing touches.

It's quite the smooth ride and always attracts attention!!
:D :D :D

Jay

Practically Family
I've been waiting for someone to start this thread. I'll get some pics of my bikes up tomorrow. I've got a late 40s Roadmaster and a Schwinn made in 68 or 69. The Roadmaster needs a little work to make it looks real good, but I think I done alright considering I had the flu at the time.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
MikesBike.jpg

Now I know it's not in the same vintage category as some other balloon tire bikes, but this is my custom-made Schwinn Stingray. For those of us (of a certain vintage age) that remember, the original Stingrays were rather small 20 inch bikes. I decided to make an adult-sized Stingray. For the restoration, I took an old rusted 24 inch cruiser frame, had it sandblasted and powder coated in candy apple red. Next, I found as many original/repro Schwinn parts as possible (like the banana seat) and began the assembly. I located some 18 inch apehanger handlebars (larger than the original bars) in order to get the appropriate size proportions. Finally, I hand cut the chrome fenders and put on the finishing touches.

It's quite the smooth ride and always attracts attention!!
:D :D :D

Really neat ride! I'm planning on doing up a similar bike, but a 26". I have a Sun Retro Cruiser that I'm going to put a banana seat, sissy bar and high rise handlebars on. It'll retain the whitewalls and the full-sized chrome ducktail fenders. All the parts are on hand, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Right now I'm in the midst of two other bike rebuilds, the Columbia Apache I referred to earlier and a quasi-military bike I'm building up for a reenactor friend of mine. Maybe I'll get around to converting that Sun Cruiser after I'm finished the military bike.
-Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner