Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

SGB

One of the Regulars
1946 BF Goodrich original (made by Schwinn)

I just got my bike back 2 days ago from the shop, it was in for a 'tune-up'. It's pretty much all original.
It is painted and set up as a WWII military bike; clanger bell, red balloon tires, rack, etc.
I don't really ride it except at car shows or air shows.
I like the looks of the Felt Cruisers though, a nice rider instead of original antique. My wife might need one of their cruisers, we are going to go look at some this weekend perhaps.

SGB

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You're breakin' my heart!

These pix are bringing back fond memories. My mom bought me my first bike in the summer of 1953. It was (I believe) a Columbia 20 inchers, with deep deep maroon fenders. Every time I see a maroon of that color I remember that old bike. It's long since taken that last trip to the dump. In Chautauqua, being an insular world, bikes often were passed from family member to family member, or sold from friend to friend. So you'd see the same big under a various different fannies over the years. There's one J C Higgins still around with the chain guard that goes entirely around the chain.
But you folks must live in pretty flat places to be so nostalgic about those old heavyweights. Chaut being built on a hill, there was always a moment of truth in any long ride when you had to get off and push that big old piece of rolling dead weight up the hill. That's the nice thing about gears, you can climb slowly up without getting off.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
These pix are bringing back fond memories. My mom bought me my first bike in the summer of 1953. It was (I believe) a Columbia 20 inchers, with deep deep maroon fenders. Every time I see a maroon of that color I remember that old bike. It's long since taken that last trip to the dump. In Chautauqua, being an insular world, bikes often were passed from family member to family member, or sold from friend to friend. So you'd see the same big under a various different fannies over the years. There's one J C Higgins still around with the chain guard that goes entirely around the chain.
But you folks must live in pretty flat places to be so nostalgic about those old heavyweights. Chaut being built on a hill, there was always a moment of truth in any long ride when you had to get off and push that big old piece of rolling dead weight up the hill. That's the nice thing about gears, you can climb slowly up without getting off.
I know what you mean about bikes being passed from family member to family member, as below is a photo of me, circa 1964 or 65 sitting on my older sister's old Hawthorne 20" kids' bike. By the time it filtered down from my sister through my brother to me, it had lost its rear fender.
-Chris
oldbike.jpg

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
KilroyCD said:
Here's an old '46 Columbia I customized and hung a small engine on. It's a real grin generator!

Hey Kilroy, that looks sweet! I love it! It reminds of what someone did to the Felt 1903 cruiser I want -

moto-cruiser_04.jpg

Regards,

Matt

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Matt Noir said:
Hey Kilroy, that looks sweet! I love it! It reminds of what someone did to the Felt 1903 cruiser I want -

moto-cruiser_04.jpg

Regards,

Matt
Nice, clean installation! One thing bothers me about it though, it appears to lack a front brake. Both of mine have front brakes, as I found out really quickly that the rear coaster brake alone is not what you want to rely upon. The Columbia has a Sturmey Archer Steelite drum brake up front, my Western Flyer uses a caliper. Here's a pic of the Western Flyer:
ag13015.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Here's may latest rebuild. It's a "pseudo-military" Huffy I refurbished (and modified) for a friend who is a WWII reenactor. It recieved a set of NOS wartime Torrington handlebars in addition to the olive drab paint and a set of new balloon tires to replace the original middleweight sized tires.
FtMiles002.jpg

Behind is my Columbia motorbike.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I was trying to find a certain family photo this evening and I came across several pictures of my ancestors with their bikes:

tombike.jpg

Great uncle Tom with his bike sometime in the early 1920s

bike.jpg

My grandmother in the mid 1930s; I wish this one would have been waiting for me but, alas, it was long gone!

karenandjonny.jpg

My mother and uncle around 1950

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I have two balloon-tyre bikes. The first one is a vintage repro, made by a company called Mercury Cycles. I couldn't find any info on them, so I'm assuming they're out of business... I bought it about 7 years ago at a Dick's Sporting Goods, and have put many miles on it. Right now it's got a Burley trailer hooked to it so I can take my son for rides.
100_1517.jpg

This is my vintage Sears bike. The tires are original, but are in need of new tubes. My husband rides it once in a while, but it's not nearly as comfy as the bike above.

100_1516.jpg

griffer

Practically Family
Nothing vintage in our house, but my wife's is pretty keen-

electra_deluxe1_l_red2fwhite_06_m.jpg

and mine is just about the OPPOSITE, everything is flat black, 'cause i roll like a ninja.

Backstreet.gif

Anyone got a lead on some cool baskets? My wife would love one...white wicker, preferrably, with a lid.

I think she is still trying to find a way to pack her cat harold in it. I found her some goggles sized for very small dogs that would round out the image. Harold is a black sphinx cat. I hear the witch theme music in my head when I imagine her riding around with him in the basket.

KillroyCD, I love the military bike. Someday, i'll have my Zundapp.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
griffer said:
Nothing vintage in our house, but my wife's is pretty keen-

electra_deluxe1_l_red2fwhite_06_m.jpg

and mine is just about the OPPOSITE, everything is flat black, 'cause i roll like a ninja.

Backstreet.gif

Anyone got a lead on some cool baskets? My wife would love one...white wicker, preferrably, with a lid.

I think she is still trying to find a way to pack her cat harold in it. I found her some goggles sized for very small dogs that would round out the image. Harold is a black sphinx cat. I hear the witch theme music in my head when I imagine her riding around with him in the basket.

KillroyCD, I love the military bike. Someday, i'll have my Zundapp.

You might want to try www.BikeWorldUSA.com for the basket. They have baskets of all types, wicker, willow, plastic and metal.
-Chris

KilroyCD

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I was trying to find a certain family photo this evening and I came across several pictures of my ancestors with their bikes:

tombike.jpg

Great uncle Tom with his bike sometime in the early 1920s

bike.jpg

My grandmother in the mid 1930s; I wish this one would have been waiting for me but, alas, it was long gone!

karenandjonny.jpg

My mother and uncle around 1950

The 1930s photo of your grandmother shows what looks like an Iver Johnson bike. That would be quite the collector's item if you had it. It appears to be a pair of Schwinns in the photo of your mother and uncle.
-Chris

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Sweet Leilani said:
I have two balloon-tyre bikes. The first one is a vintage repro, made by a company called Mercury Cycles. I couldn't find any info on them, so I'm assuming they're out of business... I bought it about 7 years ago at a Dick's Sporting Goods, and have put many miles on it. Right now it's got a Burley trailer hooked to it so I can take my son for rides.
100_1517.jpg

This is my vintage Sears bike. The tires are original, but are in need of new tubes. My husband rides it once in a while, but it's not nearly as comfy as the bike above.

100_1516.jpg

Your Mercury bike was made by Murray, just as the originals were in the late 1930s. Unfortunately, I got into the hobby right after Dick's Sporting Goods sold through their supply of Mercuries, so I never got one. The Sears bike is a toned down version of their avant-gard "Spaceliner", lacking some of the space ship styled trim pieces but using the same frame. These were made in the early to mid 60s, and were also Murray-built. You have a nice pair of vintage / vintage style bikes.
-Chris

griffer

Practically Family
Texasgirl, yes the Electra women's deluxe 3 speed.

Bepopbaby and Texas girl, thanks for the suggestions. She is for some reason aversion to painting the basket, but those are exactly what she wants.

I will troll the eBay!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info on my grandmother's bike KilroyCD, that's good to know. Alas, that bike was long gone by the time I made the scene. By then my grandparents had a matching pair of Schwinns that they bought in the late 1960s (didn't get those either!).

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
KilroyCD said:
Your Mercury bike was made by Murray, just as the originals were in the late 1930s. Unfortunately, I got into the hobby right after Dick's Sporting Goods sold through their supply of Mercuries, so I never got one. The Sears bike is a toned down version of their avant-gard "Spaceliner", lacking some of the space ship styled trim pieces but using the same frame. These were made in the early to mid 60s, and were also Murray-built. You have a nice pair of vintage / vintage style bikes.
-Chris

Thanks, Kilroy, for the info. I always wanted to know who made the Merc but never really got the time to dig. :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I passed a charity shop today and saw this bike in the window:

bike-1.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

It's in kind of tough shape and I don't know how much they want for it (the shop was closed) but I like the decoish look of it. Does anyone (ahem, KilroyCD, ahem!) know what kind of bike this is, how old it might be and/or what a fair price would be? It looks sort of similar to the JC Higgins posted earlier in the thread, but I know nothing of bikes. TIA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot