Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Rolex watches

Talbot

One Too Many
Couple more pics

The Super Oyster stumped my watch guy as the crown is not the screw in type. Turns out it's some kind of limited American model...

P1020455.jpg

The new Explorer I is noticeably larger than previous models.

P1020456.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
web.jpg

This was given to me by my Grandfather, the story that goes with this watch is, it was presented to my Grandfather by the Crown Prince of Bahrain or some other small Arabian kingdom for outstanding service while working in the oil fields in the 1940's.

Whether it's true or not, I'll never know he has dementia and no longer remembers the story.

Anyway, it's a beautiful watch and the although I'm pretty sure the band is aftermarket it's pure gold and probably worth more than the watch.

Talbot

One Too Many
BB@M, I assume you mean the one on the right in the first pic.

I don't have the tool to get the back off, but I seem to recall 9298(?).

Not sure though. :sorry:

Last edited:

CSG

Familiar Face
At the moment, wearing a a pepsi bezel GMT II. Also have a Sub Date and my first Rolex, a gold and steel Datejust I bought for myself after landing a big client when I was in the financial business. I rotate between all three (and an Omega Speedmaster Professional).

Lone Wlf

New in Town
I've got 4 and depending on the definition of vintage, at least 2 probably qualify. One is a gold Day Date with a white (looks like pearl) face and stick markers that is from the early 70's, and the other (my first Rolex) is a Sea Dweller from the mid-to-late 70's. I had them dated when I first got them 10-12 years ago and have since forgotten when they were manufactured. I've had the SD serviced once but the DD is in need.

Also have a GMT II and a Yachtmaster but I think that the latter went into production too recently to qualify as vintage, and the other I bought new 3-4 years ago.

mrdraper

New in Town
wish list....

Always craved a 60's sub! there are a few places here in london that have beautiful old ones but the price may be a little prohibitive for now!

The no date Sub`s have gone up quite a bit since I last had one,was 1994 paid 900.00 for it it was a COSC.Now a no date will set you back around 4K.Geez hind sight is 20/20 now I can not afford a sub,gmt,explorer or any of the so called sport models.40 years ago I paid 60 bucks for my first Rolex(Precision)!

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
The no date Sub`s have gone up quite a bit since I last had one,was 1994 paid 900.00 for it it was a COSC.Now a no date will set you back around 4K.Geez hind sight is 20/20 now I can not afford a sub,gmt,explorer or any of the so called sport models.40 years ago I paid 60 bucks for my first Rolex(Precision)!

Mind you, $900 then bought you a little more than it does today, and represented probably the same proportion of the newRolex-buying customer's income...

kyboots

Practically Family
Mind you, $900 then bought you a little more than it does today, and represented probably the same proportion of the newRolex-buying customer's income...

Bought my first also in the late 80's when IBM still gave them as 25 year gifts to employees. Stainless steels were around $1800 retail then, but IBM employees who had received them as 25 year gifts would often sell for half price. Employees were readily available then. All I had to do was file off the engraving on the back and I was set. Then traded up to a two tone, then traded to a blue dial President in 2001 when the gold was increased. Now "ridiculous" as saying goes. I do note that there are a lot of the newer ones on Ebay most likely a reflection of the economy. John

Last edited:

univibe88

One Too Many
I love vintage Rolex watches. My dad bought a non-date sub around 1972 and dove on the Alaskan Pipeline with it. Sadly it was stolen from our house in the mid 90s. I wish that watch was still around.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Rolex finally upped the quality of their bracelets. I don't know what took them so long.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Hello,
These are my prized Rolexes. Hope you enjoy.

Brian

'74 Datejust w/ Rolex Alligator band - background is a Good Wear Monarch A-2
P1010009-4.jpg

2002 Rolex Datejust w/Rolex Oyster band - background is a Good Wear Monarch A-2
P1010013-4.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Like you, I bought my first Rolex in the '90s, 1998. I happened into a Rolex dealer's shop when I lived in Denver, and he had a late '70s no-date Sub, the 5513 model -- though I didn't know much about the model numbers then. I wore it for a couple of minutes and said, "I've wanted one of these since I was 12. Let's do it." And $1400 later, I brought it home. Wore it that weekend dancing, auto-crossing, and hiking. Still wear it every day.

The second was from the same shop in 2000. I'd been seeing this early '70s Date with a gray dial and black strap in his showcase for about a year. Finally, Christmas was coming, and I was recovering from a cold. I said, "Scruit," went down, found it still there, and made a deal for cash. It's on my wrist as I write -- now with a sapphire blue dial from Rolex Service a couple of years ago, and an aftermarket Jubilee bracelet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy