Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Vintage Inspired Office!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Hammelby said:
A book, by Lee Silber "Organizing from the Right Side of the Brain: A Creative Approach to Getting Organized". One of the advices I am trying now is the "PHAT" method (4 piles): Pile (stuff that needs to be filed/piled), Hoard (stuff that I dont know where should go), Action (Important stuff, bills), Trash.

And when I put stuff away, I use the japanese Noguchi filing system.

Would you believe I just found the Structured Procrastination site the other day? I pounced on it - finally, someone *else* thought that way too!

Thanks for the links. I gravitate towards the PHAT method myself (although I loathe that word...), with a few tweaks. If I had lots of space, I'd buy a bunch of these. I have just one right now, and it's worked well - I just need more room so I don't overstuff it! That's where I keep my "Action" items. Stuff I'm just storing and reference material (old magazines, etc.) go into file folders.

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
Slim Portly said:
Were my office anything like this I fear I would only go home to water the cat and let the plants out.

No kidding. I would just have it built IN my home. But add in a roll top desk, I've always wanted one of those.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Update to my office

I have added a vintage banker's chair to my office. While it doesn't match the desk (not dark enough), it is way more comfortable and stylish than the "modern" chair I had before. I traded my old chair with another office on campus who had the old chair and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

IMG00296.jpg

My desk also now has a vintage Empire State Building my grandfather had.

IMG00297.jpg

poetman

A-List Customer
I'm still trying to make my office more vintage. I've been looking for some desk lamps. Can someone tell me what kind of lamp this is?

http://www.garbes.com/house_troy/2007/P14-202-AB.JPG

I found one that has two bulbs on top and a wider base on the bottom. Is there a specific name for this type of lamp? Also, is there a good place to purchase vintage desk items?

Also, I should say that I'm looking for a lamp that will illuminate a large portion of my desk.

Thanks.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I would assume that's a banker's lamp. It looks like a nice one.

poetman said:
I'm still trying to make my office more vintage. I've been looking for some desk lamps. Can someone tell me what kind of lamp this is?

http://www.garbes.com/house_troy/2007/P14-202-AB.JPG

I found one that has two bulbs on top and a wider base on the bottom. Is there a specific name for this type of lamp? Also, is there a good place to purchase vintage desk items?

Thanks.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An enjoyable thread.

Long ago I had a banker's lamp but for no good reason I gave it away, for which I kick myself monthly.

I have revamped my home study and I'll try to post pics soon. Mainly I revamped it because I FOUND on a nearby street a dark wood desk that looks 1940s, streamlined moderne style but pretty rustic, plus, separately on my own street, a 1950s black naugahyde love seat that folds out into a day bed and whose sides can assume any angle, like (speaking of Freud) a psychologist's couch. (Miss1929 and her husband have seen it and, sadly, disabused me of my desire to think it was leather. It is naugahyde, but of a rare and prized species of nauga.)

I still have not reupholstered a very comfortable armchair and ottoman set which presently has a hideous 1970s yellow and orange striped pattern. I'll probably use red velvet both because I love dark red and because that way it will fit a vintage decor scheme better. I have a proper staple gun now, so the annoyance level of reupholstering it should be manageable if I go into the project with a decent attitude to begin with.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
I would assume that's a banker's lamp. It looks like a nice one.

No, with the double swing action it is a piano lamp. It would work well, on a desk, though, and would be very good perched atop a rolltop desk.

anon`

One Too Many
Doran said:
Long ago I had a banker's lamp but for no good reason I gave it away, for which I kick myself monthly.
Mr Doran, sir: should you ever again find yourself struck with the urge to voluntarily part with any item of reasonable vintage pedigree for something other than the love of money, do kindly give me a ring first, yes?

Sincerely,
Me

;)

poetman

A-List Customer
Doran said:
An enjoyable thread.

I have revamped my home study and I'll try to post pics soon. Mainly I revamped it because I FOUND on a nearby street a dark wood desk that looks 1940s, streamlined moderne style but pretty rustic, plus, separately on my own street, a 1950s black naugahyde love seat that folds out into a day bed and whose sides can assume any angle, like (speaking of Freud) a psychologist's couch. (Miss1929 and her husband have seen it and, sadly, disabused me of my desire to think it was leather. It is naugahyde, but of a rare and prized species of nauga.)

I still have not reupholstered a very comfortable armchair and ottoman set which presently has a hideous 1970s yellow and orange striped pattern. I'll probably use red velvet both because I love dark red and because that way it will fit a vintage decor scheme better. I have a proper staple gun now, so the annoyance level of reupholstering it should be manageable if I go into the project with a decent attitude to begin with.

Doran,

That sounds marvelous. You must post photos. Please.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Doran said:
DSCF3113-1.jpg

Slightly better angle on the last. Gives you that study feel. It's not an office, dammit, it's my "study." (Pretentio-meter in the red.)

Dig the office! Love the antique pieces... the phonograph and typewriter... and the lamp ain't so bad either!

Just one note... I see a candlestick phone... the receiver is to hang on the hook the other direction like so:

milestone_1919.jpg

Thought ya should know that ;)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Shanghailander said:
Here's a shot of the desk, floor lamp, and bookcases.

Office06.jpg

The lampstand matches the fluted columns in the desk corners.

Everything except the computer is vintage.

I swear we have nearly the same desk. I had always thought mine was oak, however. Mine also lacks the medallions on the front, but my drawer pulls match your medallions. Do you know anything else about these desks? Information is hard to come by, even though I live only about 40 minutes from the old Stowe/Davis Factory.

Home_Office005.jpg

-Dave

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
I believe Stowe-Davis was bought out by Steelcase.

Your desk looks like a smaller model - probably 60 inches? Mine is 66 inches, designed for a executive. Lower right drawer is actually a file drawer, with two more drawers above it.

Brass knobs were made by various companies - big brass industry in Michigan back before WW II, and even up to the 1980s. Same knob could have been used by several different furniture manufacturers.

Stowe-Davis desks are usuall "signed" somewhere in the central drawer.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Desks were made of oak, walnut, and mahogany.

Other office furniture was made from the same woods - file cabinets, etc. Wernicke and Globe were other big manufacturers of this stuff.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I can't believe I missed this reply. My desk is also a 66" model, the angle in the photograph just makes it look shorter. My lower right drawer is a file drawer as well, with two normal drawers above. By "signed" do you mean the Stowe-Davis stamp? That's on the left panel of my center drawer.

I would love to find some more matching furniture now that I've got an actual home office. Right now all I have are a bunch of stacked crates and an old Air Force foot locker.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Spade & Archer

Does anyone have any screen captures that show Sam Spade’s office from The Maltese Falcon? It’s been a while since I’ve seen the film, and I don’t own it.

-Dave

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
John Boyer, that is an amazing space! Wonderful. What is that oak box with the flip open front/doors and storage inside called?
Is that the "stationery cabinet?"
IMG_0692.jpg

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Scotrace,

Yes, that is the Parkins & Grotto Oak Stationery Cabinet w/ Writing Slope, Watch, Calendar, &/c. C. 1880. I purchased this about a year ago after a relatively long search. It actually came from an antique shop in the UK. It is a very functional period piece.

Thanks for the complements.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran