Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Vintage Inspired Office!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Home "Office"

Thread Posting Central.
(My work office is a '70's turquoise horror)
homeoffice1.jpg
homeoffice2.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks! Had to snap the pic during the 8.2 seconds it was tidy.
I think it's called a student lamp. The shades are chipped, but replacing them equals the price of a hat. So chipped they'll be.

The D.A.

Familiar Face
Scotrace,

After the "playing outside" thread I already had the impression that we're on the same wavelength, but seeing that you're a Mac user, too, pretty much confirms it. "Great minds" and all that. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Some of us take the Kool-Aid via Pressure Washer

There are a surprising number of us here. I'm pres. of the local Mac User Group. We're 4 years old this Saturday, about 80 members.
I'm trying to set up an iChat video Fedora Lounge Virtual Gathering for any members who might have an iSight. More to come...

Do I understand correclty that law firms often have macs? At least your info is secure.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Never... has been in a closet for decades. It belonged to my mother, who got it as a gift in High School in the early '40's. Or maybe it had been her mother's from a bit earlier.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Story said:

That is cool! I've often wondered if there is really any market for fully functional computers that are more disguised to better blend into an office with retro styling.

I wonder the same about MP3 players and iPods. Surely there is a market for a cathedral radio that you can drop an iPod into. Why would I want some silver plastic monstrosity in the midst of my leather and wood furniture? :eusa_doh: I'm having trouble finding a retro clock radio that I like. Of course, we're hampered here by a complete lack of any radio stations of merit, so I'm trying to find one with a CD player. Good luck, right?!

Crosley Radios

Mojave Jack said:
I wonder the same about MP3 players and iPods. Surely there is a market for a cathedral radio that you can drop an iPod into. Why would I want some silver plastic monstrosity in the midst of my leather and wood furniture? :eusa_doh: I'm having trouble finding a retro clock radio that I like. Of course, we're hampered here by a complete lack of any radio stations of merit, so I'm trying to find one with a CD player.
======
Crosley does some reproductions, you should write them and outline what you are looking for!
It just might be the next big idea for reproductions of old radios.
;)

The D.A.

Familiar Face
I'm with you, Mojave Jack. I love my high-tech toys, but I wish that they didn't look like high-tech toys. My gleaming white iPod and my white-and-chrome iMac stick-out like sore thumbs in my office. I much prefer "stealth technology." A cathedral radio-style iPod dock is an excellent idea, one that I hadn't thought of before. I can see Crosley maybe doing something like that.

I seem to remember seeing, some years ago, some wooden tower computer cases, but they obviously weren't a success.

Story

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
Lots of people are stuffing Macs into retro looking cases. One of the coolest is this guy that set one up to look like it was from the movie Brazil.

Err... JM, check my last post. [huh]

All joshing aside, there's probably a cottage industry for someone on these forums (or a Friend-of-a-Friend) who has basic computer hardware skills and an artistic bent. Anyone in an Undergraduate or Graduate Design course might also be a good candidate.

There's a perfect opportunity for someone to bridge the 21st century world of necessary technology with art, particularly Art Deco. I know that ElectriClerk caught my eye about four years ago and I've never forgot it, so I'd be interested in 'disguised technology'. I'm saving up for a Bose WAVE system to hide away in a cabinet, since I don't want a modern monstrosity in my domicile.

FWIW, if anyone takes up on the creative idea expressed above, drop me a line - I'm a pretty good scrounger and I've passed by scads of pre-WWII typewriters (in fact, I've got one boat-anchor example in my garage as I type this, should anyone be interested).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran