Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Here's the watch my dad gave me for my 18th birthday.

DSCN0018_zpsuxdev9be.jpg

Nothing special, not even vintage. It's an inexpensive Seiko dress watch made circa 1999. They don't even have a fancy name for it! Ah well, it looks good enough, and looks like a good of a place as any to start a collection.

It's a very nice looking watch. Being a gift from Dad is a big plus. Years down the road you may find it's value immeasurable.

And like you said, every collection has to start with something.

TM

A-List Customer
Question for you all:

I am looking for a vintage watch. However, recently I had cataract surgery and now my distant vision is great! Better then ever in my lifetime. But the side effect is my near vision is bad and I need reading glasses. I hate putting reading glasses on just to read my watch.

So I am looking for a not-too big watch that can be somewhat read by someone with fuzzy vision.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Tony

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Question for you all:

I am looking for a vintage watch. However, recently I had cataract surgery and now my distant vision is great! Better then ever in my lifetime. But the side effect is my near vision is bad and I need reading glasses. I hate putting reading glasses on just to read my watch.

So I am looking for a not-too big watch that can be somewhat read by someone with fuzzy vision.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Tony

Also, make sure you can see the hands on the watch! Large numbers are useless if you can not see where Mickey is pointing.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, TM. Some years ago my wife bought me a Longines Evidenza for the occasion of attaining tenure at my teaching position. Later, I found out (on this forum) that this was the very style worn by Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca," which made it, for me, the ultimate vintage style. It has a large, but not too large, face and can be read easily at a glance. Nice big Arabic numerals, too. All the best.

Hi, TM. Some years ago my wife bought me a Longines Evidenza for the occasion of attaining tenure at my teaching position. Later, I found out (on this forum) that this was the very style worn by Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca," which made it, for me, the ultimate vintage style. It has a large, but not too large, face and can be read easily at a glance. Nice big Arabic numerals, too. All the best.

Just looked it up on line - your wife has nice vintage taste. Very classic looking watch and, as you said, how great is it that Bogey wore it in "Casablanca."

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a photo of my grandfather's pocket watch. My grandmother bought it for my grandfather for Christmas, 1922. According to the serial numbers, the watch was made in 1920. The watch passed from my grandfather to my Dad, and from him to me. Some day it will pass to my son, WFB, IV, and then eventually to his son, WFB, V. I'm hoping my grandson will one day have a son of his to pass it on to. It would be nice if he named his child WFB, VI.

The watch had stopped running several years ago, but after a lot of searching I finally found someone who I trusted to repair it and give it a good cleaning. I keep the watch wound every day, and it sits in a covered stand on the fireplace mantel in the same room where my grandfather died in 1932. I wear it to church every Sunday and on other special occasions like Christmas. Every time I look at that old watch it's like I can make a little bit of a connection to the past.

TM

A-List Customer
Tropicalbob,

Thank you for the suggestion! That is a very fine watch. It looks like there is a sufficient contrast ratio between the face and the hands that should make it fairly easy to read the time. And if it's good enough for Bogart. . .

I'm going to look for one of those.

Tony

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
Nice KonTiki

In an early 60's vein, here is a 1964 Heuer Carrera re-edition

Strictly this is a homage watch as Heuer didn't issue this watch in 1964 anyway, but I couldn't afford a Heuer Daytona chronograph, or the car to go with it, so....

That is nice. I have one of their Silverstone re-editions, a great looking piece.

Rick Morgan

New in Town
The Best Watch I've ever worn. Just perfect Speidel band fit, keeping time well and just serviced. 1967 Hamilton Electric, made in Lancaster Pa. ARMCO Presentation watch in Stainless Steel. These were never sold to the public, only given as awards within ARMCO. It is made from that companies main product, stainless steel! This watch uses the improved 505 movement.
E77D63E9-FA8D-49A4-B899-21F526AF3EC6-804-000000D12FAA1314_zpsbxxuwam0.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
If it is permissible to deviate from the theme slightly, here is a chain I picked up recently:

It appears to be made (from the hue) either of copper or brass with a high copper content. It is quite unusual in having a ring bolt instead of t-bar and integral fob. It isn't quite me, so I have offered it to my son, who is into Steam**** (it has that quality to my eye) in the hope he will like it. It is one of the less fancy ones within the lot I acquired, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21