Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, I just wanted to be sure, because I'm still trying to figure out how this thing works. I'm familiar with a few microregulators, just not the STAR one. I have seen it before, but never had to use one. I'll get the watchmaker to sort it out when I send it for servicing.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I bought a gold-filled watch-chain today at the flea-market. Albert chain with a fob-drop, including the original fob, which the seller and I suspect is a sealing-stamp.

Pictures:

chain1.jpg

chain2.jpg

Last edited:
Needing a watch battery, I bought this Elgin today at my local watch shop:

31f7028e.jpg

Any clues as to its vintage?

-Dave

Those were fairly common in the 30s with the radium dial numbers. Tank watches like that were produced well into the 1940s as well though. If I had the serial number off the movement I could give you all the info on the watch that there is available through elginwatches.com.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Those were fairly common in the 30s with the radium dial numbers. Tank watches like that were produced well into the 1940s as well though. If I had the serial number off the movement I could give you all the info on the watch that there is available through elginwatches.com.

Unfortunately, I am too nervous to open it up. I’ll have to stop back in the watch store and see if the guy knows anything about it.

-Dave

Unfortunately, I am too nervous to open it up. I’ll have to stop back in the watch store and see if the guy knows anything about it.

-Dave

:D If you are nervous then I wouldn't advise opening it yourself. I sometimes forget how many hundreds I have opened so it seems second nature to me.:p
I am sure it is in that general vintage though. Knowing how many jewels and what model it is would entail opening the movement though.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Here's my everyday carry, a Hamilton 992B from somewhere between 1951-1953 by its serial number. Runs perfectly. I had one of these back in 1970 that I carried while working as a relief railway agent and switch tower operator for the Norfolk Southern, but stupidly let it go when I changed professions. It took many years to find another one in good enough shape for everyday carry.

watchclose.jpg

watchback.jpg

ssfilez

New in Town
I totally admire vintage wristwatches, actually. They look more stylish than the few modern watches that I see in stores today. I have to comment on Bugsy's pocket watch, though. I definitely love what you have there and I hope to buy myself that kind of watch one of these days.

Talbot

One Too Many
Needing a watch battery, I bought this Elgin today at my local watch shop:

31f7028e.jpg

Any clues as to its vintage?

-Dave

Dave, very nice looking unit and fits your wrist well. Interesting it has no seconds, or is there a centre sweep I can't see?

You're wise not opening it up if not sure. Easiest thing in the world is to get something apart....

T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy