Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
Ouch, that's pricey. But thanks. They are located
in my town, so maybe I should drop by and see what
they have. Thanks!

Yeah, but they were the only folks with the correct bracelet for my 1968 Omega Seamaster 300.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Vostok make some great looking watches auto and manual their designs have not changed since the fifties.NB Vostok Europe are modern designs and not the same thing at all

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My watches came in today. They're in great shape, and keeping perfect time. I'm going to try to get them into the shop sometime this week, to get them looked over if possible, and to get a new band put on the Clinton.
Also, got in an Avalon ladies watch, another Christmas present, this one for a friend.

Group shot, with quarter for size comparison
IMG_0280.jpg

Gruen
IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Clinton
IMG_0261-1.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

Avalon
IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I saw an add today for a vintage remake it was a dashboard watch from 1935
instead of hands on a dial it had the numbers showing through a slot
it had a seperate dial for hours and minutes

any one familiar with this watch?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
der schneider said:

I know that there are quite a few vintage watches that have this design. While I'm not familiar with any from 1935, I have a Benrus Dial-o-Rama that has the same "direct read" function and looks like a dashboard. My Benrus is from the 1950's.

elginandbenrus2.jpg

Pardon the semi-bad photo, but you can get the idea of how the watch works. The "second hand" is the star in the middle that rotates.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
der schneider said:

Stauer does a reproduction, or at least a "vintage-inspired" called the "Dashtronic 1930." I have one. I like it. I believe I posted a photo of it somewhere on this thread; if not you can go to their website and see a picture there. Everyone likes it who sees it on my wrist except a few people who have heard bad things about Stauer. It's an automatic, too, which is nice.

Talbot

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
This thread seems to be getting quite a bit of traffic once again, so I'll try with a question I never got answered before - what can you tell me about "Helios" watches?

rx2666.jpg

I have one, but it's in pretty bad shape.

helios_closeup.jpg

Sorry for the crummy photo.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get it restored and what its origins might be. I inherited it from my grandfather, but I have no idea where or how he acquired it.

-Dave

Dave,

Helios are still in business:

http://www.helioswatch.com/go.html

You might be able to get some info from them. I understand that they manufactured german military watches at some stage, so that excites the interest a bit. I can't see your first pic for some reason. Are there any serial numbers or engravings on the rear of the case? Are they solid or removeable pins?

JEEP

Practically Family
Nice to see so many fine vintage watches.

Dinerman; a light polish of the cases and a new crystal for the Gruen and these watches are ready for action. I would advice against trying to clean the dial of the Clinton, unless it can be done very gently.

Michaelshane; simply stunning, a very interesting dial indeed.

Unlucky Berman; a beautiful watch in pristine condition. Has it been worked over or is it just very well preserved?

Regards.

Jakob

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
JEEP said:
Unlucky Berman; a beautiful watch in pristine condition. Has it been worked over or is it just very well preserved?

13952d1232740520t-zeigt-doch-mal-eure-vintage-dresswatch-sutton1.jpg

The dial is refinished and cleaned, so it looks like new. But the case was in really good condition. There are some minor scratches at the back and a small dot where the gold is worn away at the lugs, but nothing serious.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
JEEP said:
Dinerman; a light polish of the cases and a new crystal for the Gruen and these watches are ready for action. I would advice against trying to clean the dial of the Clinton, unless it can be done very gently.

The crystal on the Gruen's in excellent condition. No need to replace it. The cases were lightly polished after taking the pictures, and I wouldn't dream of messing with the dial of the Clinton.

JEEP

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
The crystal on the Gruen's in excellent condition. No need to replace it. The cases were lightly polished after taking the pictures, and I wouldn't dream of messing with the dial of the Clinton.

Good to hear. It just looked cracked from the second pic. But maybe it it the light catching the bend of the crystal?

Good to hear that you won't be touching the dial of the Clinton - I personally much prefere a heavily patinated dial before a re-dial.

Regards.

Jakob

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Not sure if it's vintage but it is special. Today my mother gave me my dads Soviet era Raketa mechanical watch. It needs some work done, but it is something special so the price isn't an issue. I'll post pictures soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot