Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Flivver said:
As has been said, they appear rather small to today's eye for a man's watch. I think that's why they often wind up being closed out at bargain prices.

I think many men's watches today are way too big (not to mention ugly), so I wear only vintage watches. I'm not a small guy, but my wrist is small, and they suit me fine.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have the same watch Illustrated. It "feels" big and thick. But it is reliable, looks vintage, and does the trick. I got mine from an Ebay seller for less than $40.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
scottyrocks said:
These are two Elgins I got on the bay many years ago. The 'older' looking one worked for a long time, and stopped recently. I think the mainspring 'sprung.' It probably needs either a new spring, or the one thats in there reconnected.

The 'newer' one never worked although everything is there, except the setting pull handle. When I opne th back and manually start the movemnent, it goes for a short while and then stops, so its probably dirty.

I was told that these date from around 1885, but Im not sure. All I know is that I wanted exactly this type of watch, and I know theyre vintage, so Im happy.

Does anyone have a lead on a good watch repair place that can clean and fix these? Thanks.

0401090725.jpg

I had sent the 'older' looking watch to Paul's Clock and Watch Repair in CA, and it came back in beautifully restored condition, working like a . . . well . . . fine pocketwatch. It did indeed need a new mainspring. Im very happy.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
While I am a large man, I do have small wrists so can get away with smaller watches. If I did have large wrists however, I would still not wear a watch the size of a wall clock as is currently in vogue :rolleyes: as I consider this look to be tacky, and in poor taste. Similarly, I don't wear pyjamas and those nasty injection-molded foam rubber excuses for shoes out in public either, although that seems to be the current trend.[huh] I consider myself confident enough to wear what I like and what I consider to be appropriate, not what is fashionable, or what some trendy magazine tells me to wear.

Granted, some people who have enormous wrists might indeed look silly wearing a vintage wristwatch, but I have yet to meet the person who can wear a watch larger than 40 or 41mm and not make it look like the watch is wearing him, or even worse, like they feel they have something to compensate for.:p

de Stokesay

TheBronze

New in Town
Hamilton Watch

Hello all, I'm new around here. I found the Fedora Lounge while looking for information on a pea coat and have now spent many hours reading and learning from the posts here.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know of model name or number for the Hamilton watches that were issued to aviators in WWII? Was there more than one model?

Thanks so much, I really do love this sight!

Brian
AKA "TheBronze"

davestlouis

Practically Family
My objection to big clunky watches is that they catch on my cuff and bug me. I'm in the funeral biz, and gaudy jewelry is FROWNED upon by the powers that be, so it's either slim, simple watches, or none at all. I'm partial to Gruens, because they were built in Cincinnati, where I grew up. I think the rectangular shape doesn't help things either...they're just too small for me.

Kaliber73

New in Town
Vintage Omega's

On display here two of my vintage Omega's in pristine condition, recently serviced by my watchmaker (and both for sale BTW):

An Omega calibre 30t2RgSC Chronometre 18K from 1947:

640102749_5_IsEd.jpeg

and an Omega calibre T17 in stainless steel from 1938:

640102727_5_B3dD.jpeg

Enjoy!

Andrew

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Kaliber73 said:
An Omega calibre 30t2RgSC Chronometre 18K from 1947:

640102749_5_IsEd.jpeg

Enjoy!

Andrew

This is stunning!! It has a distinct architechtual and industrial feel to it, I don't think I have seen a watch from this period that looked so classic-contemporary to me!

Kaliber73

New in Town
Omega

Darhling said:
This is stunning!! It has a distinct architechtual and industrial feel to it, I don't think I have seen a watch from this period that looked so classic-contemporary to me!

Thank you for the compliment. This Omega is one of the first Chronometers Omega made. Back in the 1940's the accuracy of these watches even surpassed the Rolex Chronometers. It is a holy grail to Omega collectors, especially in this sound condtion.

pantotigga111

New in Town
Lord Elgin watches

Hi there,I have a Lord Elgin Mystery Dial watch from the mid fifties & it appears not to have been worn yet.It is also still in it's box.I have been told it is worth around $700-$800.If anyone would offer me $500 that would be great.
P6130018.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou