Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lightweight suit - Florence, London or Paris?

tom78

New in Town
I'll be in Paris for a working trade-show in June, the hottest and most uncomfortable time to be there! In true British style, we will be required to wear dark suits with the awful British black shoes - no continental style allowed for us with the antiqued brown shoes I prefer!

I'm very keen to get hold of a couple of reasonably priced, lightweight navy wool suits.

I will, however, be spending some time in Florence and London before then. Do you have any recommendations for either city, where I can find a reasonably priced suit? Doesn't have to be spectacularly well tailored or expensive as I'll wear them only rarely.

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
Not sure what "Reasonably priced" means these days, given the exchange rate....I haven't been to London in a long time, but recall reading on another board that Marks and Spencer private label suits were a good value. You might also find something at Austin Reed on Regent Street ? I think they have several lines as well.

Florence, well now, that's one of favorite cities for a number of reasons. In fact three shirts arrived today from my shirt maker there... but I can't buy tailored clothing there (or in Italy, in general, off the rack) because of my size, mostly my arm length (I need to get sleeves on a 40L (US) lengthened more than 1.5"). But there are many nice small shops you'll see all over on the Duomo side of the Arno, certainly in the streets around the Duomo itself but also in the streets around Piazza de Reppublica. And if you are willing to go into the residential areas, there are more choices. PM me if you want some streets (not shops) to try.

Also, there are some large stores that might it a little easier - there's a Brooks Brothers in Florence (Brooks is owned by an Italian company) and I think a branch of a popular department store - La Rinascente - though it's smaller than the one in Rome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic