Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Like Hell It's Your Hat!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
facade said:
Certainly a colorful phrase. This strikes me an odd tone for a gentlemen's hat though. Something like that seems to be more befitting of motorcycle helmets and John Deer hats.

lol You may find those in John Deere hats are more upstanding then what would pass for a 'gentleman' now or then. But I think salty wording was always popular as the cards are an example of.

facade

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
You're right, facade, but then as now there were far more common men than gentlemen. The vast majority of hats were sold to regular working stiffs, not landowners and those of superior social status. Those gentlemen were across town at a totally different supper club. :)

Understood, a hat, however fine, is just a hat. It only rarely imbues one with magical powers and, almost never, manners. My point is solely that if you wish to act as a gentleman or even just a respectful person, that message really isn't consistent with that goal.

donnc

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
You're right, facade, but then as now there were far more common men than gentlemen. The vast majority of hats were sold to regular working stiffs, not landowners and those of superior social status.

I think he's right about that - if it's really just to inform someone he has claimed the wrong hat, the message does have the wrong tone. Ungentlemanly or just silly, I don't know, but all it takes is a prominently displayed `This hat belongs to _ _.' I'm sure some hat owners left that card in there, with more or less that idea in mind, but I buy the explanation offered in the older thread linked above: it's hat store advertising.

J.B.

Practically Family
Lefty said:
...There's also a thread that I'm searching for right now in which someone made new cards that anyone could print.

I am remembering that tFL member "Pilgrim" displayed a beautiful hat card that he created -- but the only JPEG image I captured appears to possibly contain personal i.d., and for that reason -- I'm reluctant to repost it without his okay?! I believe that his original intent was for prospective users to edit/replace the existing i.d. with their own?! Anyway, I couldn't find that original post... Maybe he will re-share?!

This thread shows other nifty examples -- including the infamous Peter Lorre "threat" card! :D

Oh, and this thread is all about "press cards" in hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany