Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lindy Hop, West coast, East coast swing

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
I really want to learn Lindy Hop but the only kind of dance lessons I can get around here are west coast swing. How similar to each other are they ? Would I be happy learning this style since I can't learn Lindy?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Why don't you kill two birds with one proverbial stone? Do some good for someone. Visit a couple of old folks homes and ask around. Not only can I guarantee one of the ladies there will gladly volunteer to teach you, but you'll give someone some welcome company.

Richard

Ryan

Familiar Face
Richard is right on. At the senior center they have classes and those folks know how to dance. Don't be surprised if you see a lot of younger folks there to learn also, they already know this.
As a Balboa dancer I recommend folks to try EC first. A 6 count dance that every swing dancer knows. Seems to be a little easier and forgiving to learn. Those who don't know swing can follow EC if you lead them right. EC can be done to a lot of music, 30-50's and fast to slow. Sometimes when 50's rock comes on I look around and see a lot of single step EC being done with their own flare. An older gal I dance with said EC used to be called Bop when she was in school back in the 50's. Plus once you have EC down, you will find some of the moves in other dances like Lindy or Shag. Also if you go to a dance and they have intro lessons before hand, most likely it'll be EC. There are so many variations of EC moves, I always take advantage of a lesson. Whats the difference you say, it's the count. East coast and the simple form of lindy is 6 count. It has a proper name but I'm at lost for it right now. West coast tend to be 8 count. EC and Lindy I would say are "open" positions, so footwork doesnt need to be dead on (don't have to worry about stomping on your partner) and appear more free form. Not sure the WC being taught in your area but what I know as WC is an 8 count that is done foward/ backwards and then 1/4 turn and done forward/backwards and the pattern looks like a cross.

$ally

One Too Many
I third that; start with Easy.. I mean, East Coast first and learn from/with people who were around when it all started. If you learn from college kids they'll put their own twist on it, so you'll be doing SWOP (Lindy Hip Hop). That's fine if you want that. Official expensive lessons aren't really needed, imo, if you have a good scene, you can just learn socially at the clubs. Most public libraries have instructional vids/DVDs you can check out.
West Coast is danced on a straight line, like up and down a plank, which is handy on crowded social dance floors. Lindy Hop is more circular and is where the air steps evolved. Most dancers where I live do Lindy if they like swing music, or do EC if they like rockabilly. I do both and like both, so call me a traitor.

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone

I would like to do both also I myself like rockabilly too I guess I can go to the retirement homes and ask but it might be a little hard for me. Also if there are classes there that would be really cool so hopefully I have luck we'll see how it goes.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The advice given so far is excellent! :eusa_clap The Loungers above really know their stuff.

I'd like to add this:

If you haven't danced before, an easier method than a dance studio is your local community center. It's usually slower than a dance studio, and anything you learn, no matter how different than Lindy, will give you the basics of dance. It's also cheaper.

A dance studio will accelerate you faster and with more precision and costs more money, but many have introductory specials for under $100.

The Lindy is a fantastic dance. It can be really hard to learn, especially if you don't know the basics of dance. There are many components of the dance that could be frustrating if you haven't danced before.

And as a side note:

I've danced for over 10 years. I've studied all types of dance as an amateur, including taking dance lessons and group lessons. Lindy is hard for me and I haven't mastered it yet. This isn't said to discourage you, but rather to let you know that no matter how hard you try, someone else is out there struggling along with you. :)

Keep us advised of your progress!

Vintage Betty

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
Thank you VintageBetty, I did take a salsa and swing class before but I forgot what kind of swing all I remember is STEP STEP ROCKSTEP lol I don't know if that helps but yea I have danced a little swing before and it was ALOT of fun!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yup, know that well... my husband chants it out loud when we dance! lol (That's because he's a much better dancer than me and is trying to help me)

Seems like you are well on your way to having even more fun in the future.

Looking forward to hearing how things are going.

Vintage Betty

Ryan

Familiar Face
Hey Paisley, that link to the past thread was great. The need for the right frame in Balboa, so important. Back to this thread.
Onlyman...Step/Step rock step is what they call EC. Don't know why, some dance organization came up with it not so long ago. Anyway if you got the step/step rock step going on, work on the triple step/ triple step and rock step. You can build on your EC, and it'll be good to know when you tackle Lindy or even a dance called Boogie?

katylouise

New in Town
I just wanted to give anyone who wants to start learning a heads up to check out your local universities. I found some great beginner lessons taught by some cats from Houston Swing Dance Society at the Rice University Social Dance Society. Most University's social dance societies are open to the public and are CHEAP. Best thing is, it's an entire semester worth of classes (once a week) and since I'm a uni student (although not at Rice) I'm only paying $10 for the entire course! Wooh!

$ally

One Too Many
Ryan said:
Onlyman...Step/Step rock step is what they call EC. Don't know why, some dance organization came up with it not so long ago. Anyway if you got the step/step rock step going on, work on the triple step/ triple step and rock step. You can build on your EC, and it'll be good to know when you tackle Lindy or even a dance called Boogie?
As in boogie woogie jazz? Go on YouTube also, lots of vid clips there.
To me, East Coast is like bass, and Lindy Hop is like guitar. You can do so much more with Lindy. I'll have to throw that one at Steve today, he's an instructor who loves analogies.
Lindy is kinda like step/step triple step, step/step swivel step... well, for a follow. Leads don't swivel. It's syncopated though, so it would be more TRI-ple step. OK, I probably didn't help at all. :eek:

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Boogie Jazz?

I think he means "Boogie Woogie" which is a heavily styled variation of East Coast Swing. The rock-step is replaced by a kick-ball-change (which is more dynamic) and the triples are still used, but the movement is more syncopated. Rather than shuffling left to right, you sorta "hold back" and then finish the movement at the end. It's incredibly athletic- if you can do Boogie Woogie you can handle anything!

Jp

$ally

One Too Many
I see. I've learned a style of boogie-woogie jazz that was danced in the 30s, but haven't learned a boogie EC.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
katylouise said:
I just wanted to give anyone who wants to start learning a heads up to check out your local universities. I found some great beginner lessons taught by some cats from Houston Swing Dance Society at the Rice University Social Dance Society. Most University's social dance societies are open to the public and are CHEAP. Best thing is, it's an entire semester worth of classes (once a week) and since I'm a uni student (although not at Rice) I'm only paying $10 for the entire course! Wooh!

Around the Denver area, there are lots of cheap and even free dance lessons out there, especially at clubs. Yet my dance teacher knows people who have paid $2,000 at Arthur Murray, and then lost interest after a few months. Crazy!

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Boogie Woogie

$ally said:
I see. I've learned a style of boogie-woogie jazz that was danced in the 30s, but haven't learned a boogie EC.

Most people won't teach it. It involves a lot of up and down action of the feet and legs- much more physically demanding than the standard ECS.
Marcus and Barbl (from Munich) did it for years. Rumor has it the BW competitions shifted away from true improv/ freestyle dancing to more of a "Showmanship" approach, but it's still floating around in Europe. If you watch Marcus and Barbl when they do Lindy Hop, you still see traces of their BW training. It really adds a great energy to the dance!

Jp

$ally

One Too Many
dakotanorth said:
Most people won't teach it. It involves a lot of up and down action of the feet and legs- much more physically demanding than the standard ECS.
Marcus and Barbl (from Munich) did it for years. Rumor has it the BW competitions shifted away from true improv/ freestyle dancing to more of a "Showmanship" approach, but it's still floating around in Europe. If you watch Marcus and Barbl when they do Lindy Hop, you still see traces of their BW training. It really adds a great energy to the dance!
Jp
Sounds like a good calf work out. We get some decent workshops here, so I'll ask around. Maybe I can find someone to demonstrate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic