Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Links Mid War (1941-42) Irvin Jacket Larger Size 46" (Size 7 or 8)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Here is a mid-war pattern Links Irvin in a larger size (the characteristic rounded collar is evident).
The label is missing, but it compares very well with an Eastman Leather Company RAF reproduction jacket in a size 46, so presumably it equates with a size 7 or 8. I previously had a 2-panel Links from 1939 (http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9528&hilit=links+irvin), but this is in better all round condition (and more complete) as the older jacket had sleeve repairs and two replacement zips.

Aside from the label, the jacket is otherwise complete: zips (front and sleeves) are period Lightnings and the belt/buckle/loops are all sturdy.
The hide needs a feed as it's a little dry from storage, but otherwise it's in very supple condition.
The fleece is incredibly dense and colourful (bronze/honey interior) with minimal loss on the cuffs and windflap.
I'll edit with measurements later.
Thanks to John Lever for taking the photos, which show the colour very well.

image1_zps4u2z1pfx.jpg

image_zpsqwc9i0o8.jpg

83c9f1ea-10bf-4a7f-9185-e314f50f3587_zpsspziko88.jpg

image1_zpsh6diloya.jpg

image_zpst2dqpzt7.jpg

image3_zpspobkpunc.jpg

image2_zps5uvgwehj.jpg

image1_zpskqjutoiz.jpg

image_zps0l847qqa.jpg

image3_zpsegtqwqaw.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for sharing these pics Ian. The sheepskin has stood the test of time better than the seam tapes which are crying out for Pecards!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Some of that stitching looks fragile too, nice one, you plan to Wear it I presume.

may I ask what it was worth.

Previous owners took good care of it, hopefully they passed it on to the right guy! Excellent looking Jacket!!! truly!!! you must be pretty happy with it! :eusa_clap

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Some of that stitching looks fragile too, nice one, you plan to Wear it I presume.

may I ask what it was worth.

Previous owners took good care of it, hopefully they passed it on to the right guy! Excellent looking Jacket!!! truly!!! you must be pretty happy with it! :eusa_clap

This is a lovely jacket - the stitching looks stronger in the flesh (once the tapes have been dressed with Pecards this will improve).
The previous owner took great care to preserve it and it's survived very well.
I've tried it on and it fits me perfectly.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
The dimensions of the jacket put it closer to a 44, which is odd as it's definitely more roomy than the ELC RAF '42 pattern that I tried on at the same time (must be depth of fleece or more relaxed cut, I guess).

Zipped and laid flat:

Chest (pit to pit) 24"
Front length (base of collar to edge of fleece) 22.5"
Back length (base of collar to edge of fleece) 24.5"
Shoulders (seam to seam) 22"
Sleeves (shoulder seam to edge of cuff, measured around edge of sleeve) 26"

I'm resisting the urge to put it on again as I'll get attached to it - I'm a typical ELC 46 fit in an Irvin and this is really comfortable.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Yeah, ITs classic Example. Picture perfect timeworn and everything! The left sleeve has some nice nice Cracks happening in the finish! oooOOOOoo!!!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mods, please can this thread be moved to the original Irvin thread so all original Irvin information can be in the same place.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Apologies, 'my bad' as the young people say...
I posted in the wrong section.
Thanks for picking it up Andrew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore