Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lipstick: Shiny or Matte, what's more vintage?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The lipsticks were oil-based, and so were actually on the creamy/shiny side (but not pearlized). Blotting them, as well as topping them with powder, gives that matte look. If you study magazine ads and photographs you will see that many wore their lipstick with a soft sheen to it, rather than a flat matte finish.

GOK

One Too Many
I suspect that lippy had to be very matte for movie cameras and lights. IIRC you couldn't have anything white either because of the glare. And I know from working in theatre, that reflective surfaces had to be dulled down for the same reason. However, in still images of the period, there seems to be a lot of sheen - postively glossy in some cases!

Sunny

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
The lipsticks were oil-based, and so were actually on the creamy/shiny side (but not pearlized). Blotting them, as well as topping them with powder, gives that matte look. If you study magazine ads and photographs you will see that many wore their lipstick with a soft sheen to it, rather than a flat matte finish.
OK, it's time for a really dumb question here, but I can't stand it any more! How on earth do you blot lipstick and/or powder it? What specifically does this do, and what are the benefits? I guess this is common knowledge for every other woman in the world, but I keep reading about it (here only) and just don't get it! [huh]

Elaina

One Too Many
Blotting is usually done with a tissue, you press the tissue lightly to your lips to remove the excess (or in my case, I kiss my son, it does the same thing). It's like blotting the oil from your face, or if you write with old instruments, blotting the ink. What it does it stop the bleeding, excess wear and is supposed to keep the lipstick on your lips, not on your cup.

Powdering it is ususally done with a large brush, and you dot your lips with it, then lightly brush it off and let it set the lipstick on your lips. It's like foundation and powder: the powder "sets" the color on your lips and also helps keep it where it's supposed to be. Then you apply the glossier top coat. All it does is keep the longevity of your lipstick, but with the less oils used in lipstick today, this doesn't work as it once did.

The technique isn't actually all that common anymore with lip glosses and manners changing. Up until the 80's it was improper for a woman to reapply lipstick anywhere but a bathroom (or to touch her makeup up in public) but as that got more acceptable, this particular makeup tip went out of favor. Usually you'll find it in prom issues, so you're really not alone in not really understanding it. I only know about it because my Aunt gave me a 1950's beauty guide for teenagers (along with the also outdated tip of "Make your fella feel special: you should always let him think he knows more then you).

P

Paul

Vintage lipstick

I have a original 20's lipstick I have not yet plucked up the courage to try out as intended, it certainly is hard to take off the back of your hand it is a little like a cross between grease paint and coloured wax and think it would be matt, with age it is hard to tellhow it would have gone on.

lipstick.jpg

20bag_contents.jpg

Seen here in the center.

Paul.

GOK

One Too Many
Elaina, I love that bit about making your fella feel special! Reminds me of the good housewife guide!

Your comment about reapplying lippy in public was interesting - I didn't realise it was actually acceptable to to it! I've always been of the belief (even wayyyy back in the 80s!) that it just isn't the done thing.

Regarding blotting etc. my nanny taught me how to do this when I was 14 and first allowed to wear makeup, so it's something I've taken for granted for almost 30 years. Oh, and I loathe lip gloss. Yukky stuff!

I always press really hard with the tissue to get off as much excess lippy as possible, then use little round flat puff thing that comes with powder compacts to press powder onto my lips. I then press my lips together a few times to make sure it's even, brush away any excess and reapply my lippy. Oh, and blot again with tissue.

This works perfectly, ensuring that a) I don't have to reapply and b) leave a mark on glasses (something else I was brought up to believe was bad manners).

Paul that is such a sweet set there but I am curious, what is the long white object in the bottom left, below the rouge? Is it a lip brush?

Kim_B

Practically Family
I always have blotted my lipstick - a thing I picked up from my Grandmother (in her 70's now). I always used to watch as she'd apply her makeup in the mornings, watching in awe the transformation that took place. She's a beautiful woman without the makeup, but it always added that extra finishing touch and made her all the more radiant. She'd always blot her lipstick as the very last thing she did - she'd apply an even amount of lipstick, roll her lips together, then take a tissue and press and roll her lips. I used to sneak into her makeup and put it on when playing dress up - boy did she ever give me a talking to!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Powdering lips

The technique I use is to blot with a tissue, then take a fresh tissue, lay it over the lips and with a bit of loose powder on a brush, sweep over the tissue (or pat with powder on a powder puff)-- it lets just a bit of the powder thru and sets the lipstick nicely.

Honey doll

texasgirl

One Too Many
OK, so how does it not get lipstick on your powder puff or powder brush? Do you have a separate one you use just for this? I was wondering the same thing Sunny- thanks for asking!

GOK

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
OK, so how does it not get lipstick on your powder puff or powder brush? Do you have a separate one you use just for this? I was wondering the same thing Sunny- thanks for asking!

I use separate ones, although I find that because I've blotted my lips first, the remaining lipstick rarely comes off on the puff. (I also never apply powder to my face with a puff - just a brush.)

I have a pretty to show off (JUST got it yesterday, I had gotten some clothing from this lady's estate & saw these, then they vanished....then the estate company running the sale found them again & now they're MINE!).....3 lipsticks from the Stork Club (only one actually still twists up, a very bright BLUE PINK). The other 2 are red. They all have the Stork Club on them w/ the stork image in white. There is a tiny bottle of fragrance and a little leather holder to conceal & protect any 2 of the pieces in your bag.

100_3111.jpg

Pardon the lame pic, cloudy today so light is an issue. Anyway, I was wondering.....can you actually put your own lipstick into an old container like this? How would one go about that? I'd love carry one to use! Ang

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yes, I agree, Paul- please tell us about your goodies! They're lovely!

And Dorathea, that's striking! I've never seen one of those before!

P

Paul

Lauren said:
Yes, I agree, Paul- please tell us about your goodies! They're lovely!

You can see and read about what I have got relating to the 1920's bags etc here, But I confess to be no expert I just like the thing for what they are.
1920's and others items

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
OK, it's time for a really dumb question here, but I can't stand it any more! How on earth do you blot lipstick and/or powder it? What specifically does this do, and what are the benefits? I guess this is common knowledge for every other woman in the world, but I keep reading about it (here only) and just don't get it! [huh]
I just started wearing red lipstick the other day for daily use (before that it was just for theater), and I find that if I try and blot with the tissue we use in this house, my lips get all linty. I tried kissing my hand which solved the lint problem, but then had to get all that lipstik off my hand. I decided the latter was better than wiping off the lipstick from my lips and starting all over again.
On a side note: yesterday I was getting some money out of my purse to tip the pizza man, and I saw one of the bills had a big lip print on it. At first glance I thought "how did I manage to get my mouth that close to the bill and not realize I did it? Is my lipstick smeared?" Then I realized the shade on the bill was pink, not red. I was soooo grosses out! Who the heck blots their lips on their dollar bills? Don't people know how much fecal matter and other nasties wind up on dollar bills? ::shudder::.

Since no one has answered this portion of my original question yet, I'll re-ask. What about nail polish? Any shimmer, or all matte?

Kim_B

Practically Family
I'm not sure about the nail polish - I'd assume it was a plain color without the glitter or shimmer, but I really have no clue. The link some one posted a while back in another thread just states:

"It was popular to wear nail polish according to clothes and accessories. Therefore a lot of colors were used. Especially blue-reds, brown-reds, bright reds, green, mustard yellow, black, navy blue, plum, and mauve were popular." (which doesn't really tell you much!)

I love the look of polished nails but can't find any polish that stays on for longer than a day. I've been debating about getting acrylic nails, but I hate the way they damage the natural nail underneath. I suppose that's the price of beauty, eh? Maybe this weekend I'll get that done...I'm in need of a good eyebrow waxing and a hair trim...might as well torture the hubby and get the full works done :)

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Kim_B said:
I'm not sure about the nail polish - I'd assume it was a plain color without the glitter or shimmer, but I really have no clue. The link some one posted a while back in another thread just states:

"It was popular to wear nail polish according to clothes and accessories. Therefore a lot of colors were used. Especially blue-reds, brown-reds, bright reds, green, mustard yellow, black, navy blue, plum, and mauve were popular." (which doesn't really tell you much!)

I love the look of polished nails but can't find any polish that stays on for longer than a day. I've been debating about getting acrylic nails, but I hate the way they damage the natural nail underneath. I suppose that's the price of beauty, eh? Maybe this weekend I'll get that done...I'm in need of a good eyebrow waxing and a hair trim...might as well torture the hubby and get the full works done :)
Don't do it! I went the acryllic route for about a year, and when I stopped I had fungus problems, and my real nails were so ravaged they would split down the middle and bleed.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Oh goodness, that is just awful!! I can see what you wouldn't want that done again! I can't say I blame you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany