Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liqueurs We Love

Mojito

One Too Many
Forgive me if there's another thread that deals with this - I'm happy to see it amalgamated if there's another place more appropriate for it!

I've been thinking about the recommendations we see crop up for proper Triple Sec and real Creme Fraise...it seems that now, when we go into a liquor store we have the inexpensive and often sickly sweet rather generic liqueurs, in identical bottles save for labels, distinguisable only by garish colours, labelled as "Strawberry Liqueur", "Banana Liqueur", "Triple Sec", "Creme de Cassis" etc.

I've just been given a bottle of St-Germain and am rather enjoying going through a repetoire of cocktails, often classics with a twist, like a "Paris Gimlet". Have to say I have a new appreciation for this elderflower liqueur, with its lovely bottle and delicate flavour.

What other favouriates are there out there? And does anyone have a particularly favourite Creme Fraise?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Hey, thanks for starting this thread. :)

If you're talking strawberry liqueurs I'd check out the Gabriel Boudier Creme de Fraises jammy and not too sweet.

Creme%20de%20Fraises.JPG

I'm quite a fan of whisky liqeuers, here the Glenfiiddich and Old Pulteney liqueurs as well as Drambuie are both checking out.

W-LIQ_GLE1.jpg

W-LIQ_PUL1.jpg

And finally a nice alternative to Bailey's:

amarula.jpg

Amarula Creme.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Harry Street said:
:arated:

Amarula is definitely worth trying. It is head and shoulders above Baileys.

Really? ...because I gotta tell ya, Bailey's is pretty good to this unsophistcated gal. :D If this is better, I gotta try it!

I like to keep company with the Monks:
Frangelico.jpg

Mmmmm...hazlenut in a glass.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I'm a huge fan of Grand Marnier. A fabulous rich orange that's not too sweet. I've even designed my own martini (sort of): using the standard vodka martini recipe, replace regular vodka with Stoli Vanil, and replace the vermouth with Grand Marnier. Shake with ice, strain into a glass with a sugared rim, add a twist of orange, and voila! A Creamsicle Martini, and a slippery slope ;)

GrandMarnierRed-1.jpg

anon`

One Too Many
Hey, don't be talking bad about crème de cassis. I'd like to see you try to make a Kir without one!

I'm horribly partial to Cointreau and Grand Marnier, myself, as well as Quercy Noix, Sarlanoix and those two liqueurs that I don't really drink neat, but could not get by without: Luxardo and--somewhat more generically, though I prefer Grand Rubren to the locally-found alternative--crème de violette. I wouldn't mind having a bottle of bärenfang around, either.

Absinthe_1900 said:
Crème Yvette
Where in the heck do you find that?

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Drambuie does it for me and can be cut with whisky for a Rusty Nail if something less sweet is required. Cointreau is probably the most useful and the one to have if you are only stocking one liqueur in your bar. Just thinking about it makes me want to have a Sidecar. There are some wonderful but deeply obscure ones that tend, in my experience, to gather dust at the back of the shelf after the novelty wears off.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Cointreau, as Alex Oviatt said, for the Sidecar. Bailey's for festive holidays and for pumping up the coffee when dessert is served.

Is Schnappes considered a liqueur? If so, then Schnappes in the eggnogg makes the season bright.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Now in winter, with 1 or 2 icecubes. Perfect little warmer :)

20fcld4.gif

I'm a huge fan of Grand Marnier. A fabulous rich orange that's not too sweet. I've even designed my own martini (sort of): using the standard vodka martini recipe, replace regular vodka with Stoli Vanil, and replace the vermouth with Grand Marnier. Shake with ice, strain into a glass with a sugared rim, add a twist of orange, and voila! A Creamsicle Martini, and a slippery slope ;)

GrandMarnierRed-1.jpg

Oh yes ... chin chin! :D

Last edited:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
There was an advertisement in the local newspaper for this, I have never heard of it, it says it can be mixed with Champagne, smashing looking bottle, it was about $50.00 at Dan Murphy's here in Town, for a 750 ml bottle, its made from Elderflower, I may give it a try, i'm getting rather bored with Cointreau & Champers

stgermain.jpg

http://www.stgermain.fr/index2.php

Last edited:

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
St. Germain is nice. Flowery, but not overpoweringly so. Also not quite as sweet as many liqueurs. It's in one of the cocktails in our regular rotation, the Vieux Mot.

1 1/2 Gin, 3/4 St. Germain, 3/4 Lemon Juice, 1/4 Simple Syrup

It's basically just a fancy sour, but the St. Germain makes it a little more interesting.

A liqueur I simply couldn't mix without though is Maraschino. Yes, from the cherries of the same name, but it's not fruity. It's made from the cherry pits, so it's more nutty, almost almond-like. It's basically cocktail glue. It can take all the different flavors in a drink and somehow smooth out the sharp edges between them, making a smooth, cohesive flavor. Very nice.

We started with Luxardo, but now use Maraska. I've never personally used it, but I hear to avoid Stock if you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24