Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liquid Eyeliner and other Makeup Conundrums

GOK

One Too Many
My mother was a redhead Celt-type and my father, a raven-haired Italian. My hair is a mix of both colours - it looks black but actually, if you look at it in the light, it has very deep red tones to it. Because I inherited my mother's skin and not my father's (I got his dark brown eyes though), I am really pale and cold-toned. Blue-reds look great on me....at least, *I* think so! I cannot wear oranges, pinks, yellows etc. but browns look fine and purple doesn't! Go figure! :rolleyes: lol

Back to the subject of liquid eyeliner, Barry M does a range of fantastic ones;

http://www.barrym.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=showproduct&asset_id=83&i_product=471&i_category=85

And the best bit is not just that they are 100% vegan but they work exceptionally well too!

Molly O'Star

New in Town
I use liquid liner every day, but still have mornings when the minx that is my liner brush outfoxes me and covers half my lid in goopy black gel. I have to say that I LOVE L'Oreal's Lineur Intense Felt Tip eyeliner. It's so easy to hold. The other liquid I've found that totally rocks my world is Almay's liquid liner. It comes in a little pot, but the wand you pull out has a felt tip instead of a brush. So nice! They make a beautiful brown and brown/black shade as well, if you feel like black is too bold.

As for red lipstick, I am constantly in search of the perfect red. Right now, I'm loving L'Oreal Sunset Red and Maybelline Superstay in Cherry. Both of them are bold reds that don't look gaudy, which is always my problem. Being pale with green eyes and black hair, I should be able to wear whatever shade of red I want, but OH, NO, that is not the case.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I've just got a MAC Fluidline eye-liner and I'm trying to apply it with a stiff angled MAC-brush but I just can't figure it out!
I'm usually wear cake eyeliner applied with a damp pointed brush without problems. Should I dampen the angled brush before dipping it into the Fluidline pot (reminds me of shoeshine btw) or should I just get a round pointed brush instead? thanks!

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Hi there ,violet yes wet your brush...you may find a lip brush will give you better control. I always use blak liquid eyeliner...rimmels one as i love the brush....but they have changed the recipie and after a few hours it crumbles off...does anyone know a good eye liner with a tiny wand brush it is the only way i can apply it...any other way looks a mess. Apart from If i want smokey eyes i wet a stiff square eyeliner brush and work it in at lash line all the way round my eye...i love bourjious sparkley black eyeshadow...gorgeous. reminds me of the gal out of the silent movies...brooks ???

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
With a gel liner I don't dampen my brush. I'll use either the angled brow brush (266) or their fine liner brush (209); dip it lightly in the pot, and apply using short strokes to the upper lid. I have used their lip brush (316), but I usually prefer the fine liner brush as the tip is a little easier to handle. If you find you are picking up too much product, you can swirl the brush on the inside of the lid. Oh, and make sure you wipe the brush clean after each use, as the gel dries out and stiffens the brush, making it harder to apply a smooth line.

As for a favorite liquid liner, I like the one L'Oreal makes.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
ShrinkingViolet said:
I've just got a MAC Fluidline eye-liner and I'm trying to apply it with a stiff angled MAC-brush but I just can't figure it out!
I'm usually wear cake eyeliner applied with a damp pointed brush without problems. Should I dampen the angled brush before dipping it into the Fluidline pot (reminds me of shoeshine btw) or should I just get a round pointed brush instead? thanks!

i've got the MAC Fluidline eye liner, its great but i use http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT4713&PRODUCT_ID=PROD66191

as a brush instead of the stiff -angled one. its nice and thick which i like.

the other liquid eyeliner i use is Bourjois Liner Pinceau, which again has a thick-ish brush also.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Ah OK, now I see. Thanks!
I checked and the brush I have is #266. It was a gift so I probably just got what the salesperson preferred.
I'll get a #209 instead - or just buy a quality synthetic watercolour brush from an artists supply shop, much cheaper! ;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I find having a lip brush is a must! There's a big difference you'll see when applying lipstick than just taking the stick to your lips.
liquid eyeliner- I also like something that is bendable/not stiff...I feel like I have more control over it.

nolagirl

New in Town
eye-liner makeup trick

my liquid eyeliner trick is to use a liner brush (mine is from mac) and a eyeshadow powder... and dip the brush into some eye saline solution... and then make a paste with the powder... you can make any eye shadow into a liner and it will stay for hours

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I am using Revlon's at the moment and absolutely love it!!!

Im waiting for my MAC brush to arrive to use the Fluidline

I once tried liquid eyeliner and it was such a disaster that I never tried it again, but I was determined to learn! I used to get worked up over how the line would turn out - but I learnt that when you blend and apply mascara - you dont notice it anyway, and I like a thicker visible line!

Inky

One Too Many
alright, this isn't an eyeliner conundrum, but an eyeshadow one and I didn't want to start a new thread....

I am 49 years of age and as things happen, my eyelids aren't the same as they were when I was 29. They are thinner and beginning to get crepey (is that a word??).

I don't like to wear glimmery shadows anymore, and though I do like Besame's light color shadow (can't recall the name right now), it has a bit more shimmer than I want. I have tried some flat matte neutrals but then they appear chalky.

Basically I am searching for a good neutral base color that is attractive on a light/medium skin tone, dark eyes, dark browns and that won't be glimmery or chalky.

I generally go for a simple 40's eye, the neutral, sometimes a touch of color but rarely, strong brows and fine liner, mascara on the top only, light blush and red strong lips.

all help appreciated ;)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
alright, this isn't an eyeliner conundrum, but an eyeshadow one and I didn't want to start a new thread....

I am 49 years of age and as things happen, my eyelids aren't the same as they were when I was 29. They are thinner and beginning to get crepey (is that a word??).

I don't like to wear glimmery shadows anymore, and though I do like Besame's light color shadow (can't recall the name right now), it has a bit more shimmer than I want. I have tried some flat matte neutrals but then they appear chalky.

Basically I am searching for a good neutral base color that is attractive on a light/medium skin tone, dark eyes, dark browns and that won't be glimmery or chalky.

I generally go for a simple 40's eye, the neutral, sometimes a touch of color but rarely, strong brows and fine liner, mascara on the top only, light blush and red strong lips.

all help appreciated ;)

Hi Inky,
For these types of "satiny" shadows (that's what I refer to shadows that are neither matte nor shimmery), I really like Merle Norman shadows. The company has been around since the 30's, and they are really very lovely. For a lighter color, I really like "Oyster" (which almost is a gold-ish color although it looks white in the case) "Bare" and maybe even "Almond" (some are cooler, some warmer. It depends what you like or are looking for). They have a shadow color in their Luxiva Luminous shadows which are waterproof and have a "glow" to them, but they are certainly not shimmery or sparkly. May favorite for a base is "Sand Dune".

For a medium shade, I LOVE Lancome's Mannequin. It's a beautiful shadow that I use all the time. I mean, ALL the time :D On myself I use it as either a crease shade or even an accent shade if I am doing a very natural eye. If I am doing a smokey eye, I will use it as a base color for my lid. It's incredibly versatile and one of my favorite shadow colors.

I hope this helps a little! Have fun with new makeup :D

pretty faythe

One Too Many
this might be previously stated on this thred, but I am being lazy & on my life battery sucking g1 phone, so searching the thread will suck the life from my phone lol. Has anyone else had a prob with mascarra life in the hotter months? It seems that in the summers it quickly statrs to clump in the tube, and I a getting tired of spending $ on a new tube a lil over a month of purchasing it. Is it just this freaking las vegas climate or does it happen other places? Should I change how I store it for 2-3 months out of the year? I usually have it on the top of my 'vanity' in a cut little cup.

Inky

One Too Many
RebeccaMUA said:
Hi Inky,
For these types of "satiny" shadows (that's what I refer to shadows that are neither matte nor shimmery), I really like Merle Norman shadows. The company has been around since the 30's, and they are really very lovely. For a lighter color, I really like "Oyster" (which almost is a gold-ish color although it looks white in the case) "Bare" and maybe even "Almond" (some are cooler, some warmer. It depends what you like or are looking for). They have a shadow color in their Luxiva Luminous shadows which are waterproof and have a "glow" to them, but they are certainly not shimmery or sparkly. May favorite for a base is "Sand Dune".

For a medium shade, I LOVE Lancome's Mannequin. It's a beautiful shadow that I use all the time. I mean, ALL the time :D On myself I use it as either a crease shade or even an accent shade if I am doing a very natural eye. If I am doing a smokey eye, I will use it as a base color for my lid. It's incredibly versatile and one of my favorite shadow colors.

I hope this helps a little! Have fun with new makeup :D

thank you Rebecca! I will check those out - i think we have ONE merle norman studio in our county, lol, so it may be a while before I can get there. ahhh, green acres is the place to be....

zendy

A-List Customer
I tend to do a traditional 40's eye as well and have had the best luck with aveda products. they are smooth and come in tons of neutral tones.

Inky said:

all help appreciated ;)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
pretty faythe said:
this might be previously stated on this thred, but I am being lazy & on my life battery sucking g1 phone, so searching the thread will suck the life from my phone lol. Has anyone else had a prob with mascarra life in the hotter months? It seems that in the summers it quickly statrs to clump in the tube, and I a getting tired of spending $ on a new tube a lil over a month of purchasing it. Is it just this freaking las vegas climate or does it happen other places? Should I change how I store it for 2-3 months out of the year? I usually have it on the top of my 'vanity' in a cut little cup.

That happens to the mascara's in my professional kit sometimes Pretty Faythe (I tend to store it in my trunk when I have various shoots set up during the week). What you want to do is swirl the wand, NOT pump (pumping will trap extra air in the tube and your mascara will go bad quicker) and swirl it for a good minute. This will help the formula to return to a more normal state. If you get an extra little globby at the end, just wipe it on the inner part of the rim and it will get pushed back in when you return the wand. Hope this helps!

Emer

One of the Regulars
I too was going to toot MAC's fluidline. I vary between Blitz & Glitz or Blacktrack. B&G is only slightly lighter, and it's my "summer" color. I'll usually reshape the brush with a bit of water to keep the point nice and thin--keeps it from getting matted and helps to keep the liner from going on too thick!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I have to give much love to L'oreal Lineaur Intense, it's like a thin-tipped marker. Liquid, but sooo easy to apply, and it doesn't drag on my eye like pencils do. I had tried pencils before and could never do it right - had thought I'd never learn to use eyeliner - the very first time I was using this, I got a not-very-fancy but totally wearable look.

No cat's eyes yet for me but for newbies, I have to say it really is foolproof. I am the fool! lol

I bought carbon black and its quite nice. It was on sale at Target for seven something.

PS

A-List Customer
I am fond of using a fine art paint brush with some water and a shadow. You can get the finest line this way. You can also draw on a shape you want and then go over it with your traditional method, Fluidline or a liquid liner pen. This way both eyes are more even. And the fine tip brush gets all the way to the lash line, I can't stand seeing gaps. I have some pics around here somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24