Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

liquid eyeliner?

Moodle

New in Town
Goldfish said:
do you think gel liner is better/easier to apply than the liquid or pencil one?

I think liquid liner is probably a bit more difficult than gel or pencil, because it's harder to correct mistakes with it, and sometimes it can be tricky to get a smooth, solid line. That said, though, I'd guess a lot of it is personal preference--I find gel eyeliner the easiest of all to apply, but I have friends who swear by eye pencils and would hate having to switch. If it's feasible, I'd say go to the cosmetics section of a department store or somewhere else where they have testers, and fool around with different types and see what you think!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Goldfish said:

I used MAC's Fluidline (which is gel in a tiny pot and you apply with a brush) and I much prefer the look it gives compared to liquid liner. However, because you apply it with a brush it does take some getting used to but I find it quite easy now to get the shape I want. The only bad thing about it is that it's extremely difficult to remove when you make a mistake. You have to drench a cotton bud in make-up remover and really rub at it, compared to liquid liner which is really easy to correct. So, in my opinion, it is not perfect but I like it for now. Using liquid, gel or whatever, takes some getting used to (and lots and lots of practice!) and it's all about experimenting and finding what works best for you. I personally wouldn't use pencil because it drags the skin so much but if it works for you, stick at it.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Goldfish said:

Gel liner is much asier to use. It's much more forgiving and you can build the liner up into a defined line that looks just like liquid liner.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
SarahLouise said:
I used MAC's Fluidline (which is gel in a tiny pot and

I really like Clinique's gel eyeliner. It's less expensive than the Mac gel liner and just as good. Plus, the Clinque one gives you a brush to apply the liner with. With Mac you have to buy one. The Clinique brush works so well. It's tiny and it's easier to use than the larger Mac brush.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Did anyone here try Loreal HiP Cream Eyeliner?
It seems to be very easy to apply and comparable to MAC´s!
Left is MAC, right Loreal HIP

WetnWilds H20 Liquid Eyeliner is like a permanent marker for eyes a lot of people say and that made me wanny buy it, but there´s no way to get it.

I searched around on the net and someone recommend me Collection 2000 waterproof eyeliner - just ordered one and will tell you the results!

Aorta

Familiar Face
I've been using the "Dipliner" from H&M for years, since it was cheap and easy to apply. But unfortunately, H&M doesn't sell it anymore, so I had to look for an alternative. Went to the Bobbi Brown counter and bought the "Long-wear Gel Eyeliner" and the "Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush". That haul was quite expensive, but the liner is applied easily and it stays all day. Just dip and brush it on with one stroke and that's it!

Jojo

New in Town
I use liquid eyeliner for about 9 years now. Started with Collection 2000 dipliner bud that one is no longer available her in Holland.
I'v tried a lot of brands but the best one for me is the liner express from maybelline.
It's still my favourite eyeliner. Does not smudge and even if it rains it stay on the eye.
Perfectly:)

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
My favorite is the bare escentials liner shadow in Onyx. They also make a liner sealer called "weather everything" it makes the liner, waterproof and smudgeproof. It lasts all day and then some. Since it starts out as a powder, you control the amount of water that you add giving it anywhere from a cream to a liquid consistancy.

jazthejitterbug

New in Town
Cheesecakecutie said:
RAINBOW

You can get the "get bent brush" from Benefit...its fab, but a lip brush should do in the meantime.

Use it wet,(i have a small lid i fill with water to wet my brush i do this several times in application to keep it nice and moist) like paint, you can use it lightly to get a faint line or build it up to get a dark full on look .....Mix the colours together for a deeper brown...its fabulous...enjoy :D

Hello ladies: I'm the new girl around here, I suppose! Hope you don't mind me sidling in and posting here without proper introductions (been lurking for a little while, admiring, mainly) but I have a question about this product- or rather your experience of it.
I'd been looking for a new liner (all my makeup got stolen recently :mad: ) and looked in this forum for a little impartial advice. A week ago I got Benefit's Babe Cakes liner- and I was very pleased with it... at first.
But this morning- woe is me! It's shattered, or at least the brown part has. It hasn't had any hard knocks, and all of the rest of my makeup was absolutely fine. Pooty.
My question is- has anyone else had this happen with Babe Cakes, or any similar product?

ruby_cadillac

New in Town
Hi ladies, I'm also new like the lady above me! Just had to post in this thread as my first..

I've been using liquid eyeliner for about 4 years now - started using pencils and just couldnt get the right effect.

I've floated from product to product for a fair few years, but the two best i've found (due to me favouring a finer brush not an odd little sponge that i've found in some products - it gives a much cleaner line and easier contol.)

My two favourites;

Ruby and Millie I-DEFINE - medium thickness synthetic brush which tapers to a thin end like a normal paintbrush would, won't dry out as it works like a YSL Touch Eclat-style clicker pen which allows you to get as much or as little out as you want at a time. I find this also gives a superb 'flick' at the end if this is the look you prefer as it naturally kicks out when you flick the brush. Very good product (retails about £11 in the UK, unsure if it's available in the US but E-bay will always have it.)

Secondly - Christian Dior Style Liner in black - This one gives a SUPER FINE line (particularly good product if you're just wanting subtle definition and not such a bold line.) Again it's a synthetic brush, but this time its only tiny therefore it doesnt taper at the end. This one is best for getting right in the corner and avoiding smudging. Only downside to this one is you have to make sure you use it at the perfect non-smudging angle, else it will smudge. However, when it dries, this is the best eyeliner I have found so far for stayability.. it WILL NOT budge from your eye all day.

Butterfield 8

New in Town
I've been using HIP's gel eyeliner for a while now. It's a good price and it's waterproof. it doesn't smudge though, but when needed I combo it with a good black shadow.

Liz

I just bought Clinique's cream eyeliner, and it's great! The brush isn't the best, but the eyeliner itself is very nice -- it really is true black, and it didn't budge the whole time I was wearing it. A definite improvement on the MAC pencil I was previously using, which gave me major racoon eyes.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I tried out the HiP liner and it's awesome!
Doesn't look like plastic on your lid like most of the liquid liners out there, I will definately try out more cream / gel liners! *love*

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Admittingly, I am a cheapskate. I use wet n wild liquid and pencil eyeliners.

Many moons ago when I started using eyeliner it was 100% pencil. As a goth kid I would smoke my eyes glam style using black liner with red, silver, or black shadows. When I started to get into [authentic] vintage more and more I took a step up to liquid, but with a felt brush until I learned better control. In order to get thinner lines I finally tried it with a brush. I do alright and still make my mistakes, but when I try to use a felt tip anymore I find I make more mistakes than not.

I haven't tried a dry pigment with slanted brush yet (me = cheap), but when I start making millions maybe I will as I am happy with what I do now.

So now I just use liquid eyeliner on my top lid if I want more of an ethnic look to my eye shape and if I want bigger rounder eyes I will add a hint of pencil to the bottom lid with a bit of shadow to help soften the pencil.

More info than I am sure anyone wants. lol

ruby_cadillac

New in Town
LolitaHaze said:
Admittingly, I am a cheapskate. I use wet n wild liquid and pencil eyeliners.

Many moons ago when I started using eyeliner it was 100% pencil. As a goth kid I would smoke my eyes glam style using black liner with red, silver, or black shadows. When I started to get into [authentic] vintage more and more I took a step up to liquid, but with a felt brush until I learned better control. In order to get thinner lines I finally tried it with a brush. I do alright and still make my mistakes, but when I try to use a felt tip anymore I find I make more mistakes than not.

I haven't tried a dry pigment with slanted brush yet (me = cheap), but when I start making millions maybe I will as I am happy with what I do now.

So now I just use liquid eyeliner on my top lid if I want more of an ethnic look to my eye shape and if I want bigger rounder eyes I will add a hint of pencil to the bottom lid with a bit of shadow to help soften the pencil.

More info than I am sure anyone wants. lol

If you ever have a few spare pennies, get hold of some Guerlain Terracotta Loose Powder in Black - works well as you can draw your lines then get a more subtle look by lightly brushing over the line downwards towards the eyelashes with a clean brush. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24