Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Listen- 1940s MP3 of Dream Band / unplayed 1930s grammophone

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Ladies and Gents,

Just wanted to share a moment... since I'd pulled the grammo out to take pictures the other day, wanted to post a closeup pic, and shuffling through a box 78s (aint it fun re-discovering cool stuff youve got), came across this one, totally had forgotten about. You've heard of "dream bands", where you rattle off names of your favorite music artists you would have loved to hear play together in the same band...

dorsey.jpg
ellington.jpg

Tommy Dorsey ("Song of India", "I'm gettin sentimental over you", "I'll never smile again"), guest trombonist, sitting in with Duke Ellington and his top-flight orchestra of the 1940s ("Take the A Train", "Warm Valley") - Dorsey side by side with Johnny Hodges' alto sax: check out the MP3, a one-of-a-kind moment to really be savored...

ellington2.jpg

MP3, 1.4 meg, 3 mins, "Tonight I Shall Sleep (With a Smile on my Face)": http://www.eternalgoods.com/14344.mp3

Here's that grammo: 1930's unused, kept in storage. has a gold sticker from the dealer marked "Cesar Vincente (Madrid / Barcelona)"; the machine is English-made; somehow ended up in the States - cool. Was told it belonged to an actress who left it in her closet, never played. Looked at the grease on the clockwork inside; still clear amber-colored, no blackening - never played. Solid!

grammo01.jpg
grammo02.jpg

Even has the little key sticking out the front latch, so you won't worry about someone stealing the felt off the turntable.

If anyone wants to talk music (or get into a fight about what was Dorsey's or Miller's hottest number, or who played the best tenor, etc...) drop me a line

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hey! Sweet!

I have that model (or a near miss, mine is not an HMV), but mine saw use by a youg fellow who became a local basketball coach of some note. It has his name inside on a 4-H sticker.
A clean and unused machine like that is a sweet thing indeed.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cousin Hepcat, welcome to the Lounge! I see you know something about music! And 78's too! I collect them crazy brittle gems! For me, there is nothing like sitting in my room with one vintage lamp burning and listening to a Miller V-Disk of Bye Bye Blues and Wang Wang Blues, (that medley is so haunting it's not even funny) on my 1940 GE radio/record combo. It's an electric job that plays like nobody's business!

I could talk about music of the 78rpm variety for days! Drop me a line some time and we'll chat about these crusty old records we cherish!

WR.

PS. Lovely player by the way! Such a rare untouched little item! Very nice!

PPS. Lauren, I hope you get your player soon!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
That is beautiful! I want my phonograph *sniff* :cry:

Oh boy, only been here for 2 days and already made someone cry...

Sorry Lauren, don't cry, didn't mean to cause trouble. So tell us what happened to your phonograph. Launched out the rumble seat on a sharp turn? Got hit by a train?

I lost one one time when a canoe tipped over, now it's at the bottom of a lake (long story- never try to swing dance in a canoe in the dark, even just joking)

Hey, you got the whole "revolution" out there in CA right, Everyone's retro swingin out there, there's gotta be most everyone has one of these. Someone's gotta have a loaner.

Looked in the storage room and all I've got for portables is the two Ive been avoiding deciding what to do with, after I got my nice one... come to call them the "Gruesome Twosome":

gruesome.jpg

Gads. Not fit for a lady are they. They'd make nice halloween props... sure you can do better. (if you're desparate, the one on the left works, actually best sounding portable or floor model I've heard, sounds like an electric tube amplifier, if you can live with the rust... you'd want to replace the fabric over the metal case, that should be easy. no kidding though, these really look terrible)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Tempting!

I bought a panotrope portable phonograph on Ebay, but the seller never sent it. I guess she has Lupus and got an attack. She emailed me and said she was sending it and I would have a tracking number on monday two weeks back. I've been emailing her, but it's not use! Hopefully she'll get back to me. I hope she's not sick again... But I think it's been at least a few months now! I wanted it for the Queen Mary summit!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I know envy is a sin (Shazam taught me that)

That is a solid turntable! It looks like you went back in time and brought it back new.
Thanks for sharing the Dorsey and Ellington. It sounds great.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Hepcat, that "ugly" one looks identical to one I have. It worked and sounded great for a while until the cast part that holds the tone-arm up broke off and the reproducer died.

I know what you mean about the sound though, the orthophonic reproducer on that thing had a really great sound to it before it died.

Now I am also looking for a new turntable, hopefully a Victor 50. I love the way the wood with metal accents looks on those.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Lauren, Wild Root, Vladmir, Wolf, Everyone -

Wild Root: I just wrote you a 3-page long private response to your post about your similar (and might I add, OUTSTANDING) tastes in music - and browser died! Danged f---nology! Will try again soon... Weve Got to trade stories/pics/etc...

Vladmir: Yeah pot metal sucks! On the working (left-hand) one, the entire arm is pot metal and really top condition (no swelling), base is steel, nothing to really break. So, a model 50... don't know them by model numbers, looked it up - Wow that is a sweet choice! Check this out, some guy bought one for $15 with water damage & totally fixed it up even replaced wood veneer & refinished:
image002.jpg

http://www.msu.edu/~atchiso5/Victor50_2.htm

Lauren:

Lauren Henline said:
Tempting!

I bought a panotrope portable phonograph on Ebay, but the seller never sent it. I guess she has Lupus and got an attack. She emailed me and said she was sending it and I would have a tracking number on monday two weeks back. I've been emailing her, but it's not use! Hopefully she'll get back to me. I hope she's not sick again... But I think it's been at least a few months now! I wanted it for the Queen Mary summit!

Man, that Queen Mary summit looks like Heaven! *I* want to go on the Queen Mary Summit... :cry:

auugh, in the middle of launching first stage in a major gradual career change, software engineering to medicine (the best final answer I could come up with for a career with "job market stability"), but lets skip the vulgarities of everyday life, this place is too cool for that...

Thats too bad about your ebay purchase. Sure everyone here knows what its like to get really excited about one and it doesn't come through... I'm sure everyones already given their 2 cents but I'd use both the seller's feedback rating and trust your gut as a factor in deciding how much to trust them (have you tried requesting their "contact info" from the ebay system and calling them??)

Wolf Man: Glad you enjoyed. gosh everyone here's so friendly :p Yeah you just gotta dig the Ellington/Dorsey. Man, if Ellington's lush warm style of pre-war music don't make you all Squooshy, nothing will... and cap it off with Dorsey's trombone - Murder! in the first degree!

Everyone: So, someone who lives closer to someone who's going, has got a phono that can be borrowed, or will be going on the bouey with a portable you l can all share. For the heck of it, just got an estimate to ship mine from east coast to CA for a loaner - round trip would cost you near $60 by UPS or USPS cheapest, a real drag. Even if I shipped to someone closer to NC who may be going, if they fly to CA, extra baggage fees. Sorry can't think of any way help, hope everyone enjoys the trip, maybe I'll catch up with everyone next time.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, they're not ugly!

Man, those have age! They have been loved and used. Maybe abused as well but hey, one of them works! I'm not too picky when it comes to cosmetic condition. As long as it works and sounds good! A little beat up player just looks cool I think looks well, old!

I have a 30's Columbia portable! It was working when I bought it but, I think I need some new needles and maybe get the reproducer fixed up. The interior is great! But, the black case is a little beat but, not that bad. Any way, I need to dig that thing out of storage and get it back in action.

Lauren, I pray that you'll get your player soon! It would be so fun to have it at the Queen Mary! I'd bring some 78's if you get it before then! Maybe even give you a few copies I have to get you started off right.

Any way, records rule!

WR.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
OH MY GOSH! That phonograph is my absolute favorite of all time! I saw one like that restored and wanted it so badly, this was probaly 6 years ago, and I have been kicking myself ever since because I didn't pick it up. I think it's the same, anyways. The guy referred to it as the "picnic model".

I have a Edison, but didn't know until a few years back that you can't play regular 78s on it! My grandpa would go around to garage sales in Atwater (near Glendale, CA) in the 70's probably and would pick up records for nothing. He also picked up other cool things like an icebox and an old slot machine. I wish I could have known him better. He died when I was very young. Guess I get my spirit for antiques from him!

Root, thanks so much for the offer to bring the records! I'll have to rummage though what I have and see. It's been a long while since I looked at them and chances are I might actually know some of the tunes now!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Not a problem Lauren! Say, if you or any one in this area want's a good Victrola, come on over to Robbin's Antiques in Pomona! There is a dealer that has two great fully restored players from the 20's for sale. He buys them beat up and fixes them up very nice! Prices aren't too bad but, they're not cheap.

WR.

VoxAudi

New in Town
Thanks for the sweet sounds!!!

Thanks for the sweet sounds!!!

Wow, brings back so much - as if I knew this music. Reminds me of my parents listening to their 78's and dancing around the livingroom or kitchen.

Makes me nostalgic for an era I didn't even know personally.

...but then aren't we all???

Kaela

Vendor
That recording sounds great! Thanks for sharing with us!
Well, I just stumbled on this and was hoping maybe any of you folks know a little about victrola's to help me figure out... mine is of the wind-up variety, and I'm not sure how to take care of it. When I wind it, it doesn't make it through the whole song, but I don't want to overwind it, and the owner's manuals that I have read on similar models don't really give a good idea of how much it can be wound or what sort of mantainence needs to be given. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
here's a picture of the same model victrola.
VV-IX%203.jpg

Oh, and one other thing, what should be noted about different needles?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Kaela said:
That recording sounds great! Thanks for sharing with us!
Well, I just stumbled on this and was hoping maybe any of you folks know a little about victrola's to help me figure out... mine is of the wind-up variety, and I'm not sure how to take care of it. When I wind it, it doesn't make it through the whole song, but I don't want to overwind it, and the owner's manuals that I have read on similar models don't really give a good idea of how much it can be wound or what sort of mantainence needs to be given. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
here's a picture of the same model victrola.

Oh, and one other thing, what should be noted about different needles?
That is one great looking record player (glad you enjoyed the Duke & T.D.)

How hard to wind it is unique for every machine. Still when I get a new one it takes a long time to get the "feel". You're doing right by starting gingerly. If the phono is in reasonably decent condition (which it definitely looks to be), unless the mainspring is about to break, you should wind it enough to get one full play on a not-terribly-worn-out record, generally speaking. Your machine probably has a multi-spring motor so it should play through one. Just trial by error tighter each time till it makes it, thats how you tell.

As for care: It's not bad idea to apply some oil occasionally to the workings. I use bearing grease from the local hardware or automotive store on the big gear connected to the spring can (looks like a big tuna fish can) and auto motor oil any weight on the faster-spinning gears, applied very sparingly to bearings and teeth. How often depends on how much its used. Opening the cannister with the spring is dangerous but some would say to repack spring grease for even unwinding; I say if it aint broke...

If you want all the details of how to fix anything that could ever possibly break on it over a lifetime by yourself, you can buy this book, "The Compleat Talking Machine" by Eric Reiss: It'll also tell you how to rebuild the reproducer if the sound has any rattles or buzzes:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...7/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-1744921-9538237
eBay: http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...title=the+compleat+talking+machine&category0=

Steel needles - they come in 3 different thicknesses/volumes: Loud, Medium, & Soft. I've only ever used soft. They are thinner and sometimes a bit longer, wear the record down less, and have a lower volume & more "mellow" sound. It should still play Loud enough for folks in a medium sized living room to all hear & dance to; these machines were all pretty loud. The price I'm used to seeing is about $5 for a new pack of 100.

As for the spring, if you're going to leave it unplayed a long time you can let it run Almost all the way down, but Not All the way. else the spring can come unhooked when the turntable momentum keeps spinning...

Hope this helps, nice machine, enjoy

swinggal

One Too Many
I have a gramaphone made in the 30s and loads of 78s. I find that there are a lot of 78's out there, but not from the era or style that I prefer (swing and big band). BUT they do pop up occasionally. The pride and joy of my collection consists of:

Lets Dance - Benny Goodman
Twelve O'Clock Jump - Benny Goodman
Air Mail Special - Benny Goodman
Two O'Clock Jump - Count Basie
9:20 Special: Count Basie
Gone with what wind - Count Basie
Easy Does it - Count Basie
Chatoonga Choo Choo - Glenn Miller/Tex Benneke
Blue Skies - Maxine Sullivan
Don't be that way - Chick Webb
Trumpets and Cantabile - Harry James
One O'clock Jump - Harry James
Begin the Beguine - Artie Shaw
Nightmare - Artie Shaw
T'aint what ya do - Erskine Hawkins
Sunny Side of the Street - Lionel Hampton
Chesapeake and Ohio - Ella Fitzgerald
Quicksilver - Bing Crosby/Andrews Sisters
Woodchoopers Ball - Woody Herman
Sweet Georgia Brown - Cab Calloway

And I heap I've forgotten. I got my gramophone for $20 AUD at a garage sale...I saw it in the corner of the shed and I knew what it was. The lid was closed and I said to the guy, "How much do you want for that?" he said, "Thats dusty old thing...$20" so I gave him the money and ran!!! It's in awesome condition and I use it a lot. Now its even starred in a movie that was made set in the 40's and partially made at my house. I'll find a pic sometime and post it.

Make sure to always change the needle after each record too. Two plays at the MOST.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
swinggal said:
I have a gramaphone made in the 30s and loads of 78s. I find that there are a lot of 78's out there, but not from the era or style that I prefer (swing and big band). BUT they do pop up occasionally.

Any native Aussie swing bands ??

International swing is Great!!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Lauren, ebay has a system to use when sellers don't follow through, but they only give you so long to take advantage of their help. After that you're on your own. I would email the seller and tell her you want her to put something like delivery confirmation and you want the tracking number and that if you don't hear back in 48 hours from her that you're contacting ebay to submit a complaint for not delivering the product. Or something along those lines.

ITG said:
Lauren, ebay has a system to use when sellers don't follow through, but they only give you so long to take advantage of their help. After that you're on your own. I would email the seller and tell her you want her to put something like delivery confirmation and you want the tracking number and that if you don't hear back in 48 hours from her that you're contacting ebay to submit a complaint for not delivering the product. Or something along those lines.

Yeah, you get about a month after the item ended, right? I got burned on this one. Someone claiming to make vintage-style waistcoats overstretched and couldn't follow through. Kept my money, and refuses to answer email. :rage:

bk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner