Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Location, Location, Location

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
A phrase overused in the film industry, location can mean everything in a film.

Two discussions:

One- Where did it take place?

Name a film and where it supposedly took place or did take place and perhaps where it actually was filmed. Many times what appears to be New York City in the film is actually a set in Los Angeles. This applies to many other locations and places.

Two-Has your town/city/home or a town/city you were visiting taken part in a movie production?

My house has been used a few times in film. I've personally used it in my own work and my friends have as well. You can see a few here
Night of the Living Doll was in my old bedroom in my first home. We had to clear every single item out to make it appear empty. In this film, my friends, his house and mine were both used.

Students from a Los Angeles based film school just two years ago came to my neighborhood looking to use one of the homes. Originally there were three homes that would be used, but they decided to use my house for the entire location. They used the entryway, the backyard and the front yard. A crew set up outside with trucks and things. It was interesting but not my first time seeing a movie being made. The location "scout" as they are called, was the one who found my home in the first place. Itis this person's job to search for a place that will complete the director's vision of a movie. It can be a dream come true job if it means an all expenses paid trip to the Caribbean just to take photos and video to bring back home.

One night around 2am I was taking a walk down one of our adjacent streets, when I saw a bright light shining through the trees. It looked like a UFO. It turned out to be a film crew making a movie, and the bright lights were huge and high above the ground. They shined onto a home's front yard, bright enough to appear to be day time through the camera. I spoke a little to one of the "gaffers" whose job it is to work the lights.

Fairly recently there was a crew in my town around the downtown area. Equipment trucks and catering filled the front of a abandoned super market's parking lot. I walked by and saw them filming.

A few blocks down the street, the television show "24" were filming near a power line field, driving a car in and out of the field.

The location scout from the film school production contacted us recently to ask use of our home again, this time for a Hewlett Packard commercial.

So where were the "location, location, location's" taken place?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
happyfilmluvguy said:
A phrase overused in the film industry, location can mean everything in a film.

Two discussions:

One- Where did it take place?

Name a film and where it supposedly took place or did take place and perhaps where it actually was filmed. Many times what appears to be New York City in the film is actually a set in Los Angeles. This applies to many other locations and places.

Two-Has your town/city/home or a town/city you were visiting taken part in a movie production?They just filmed a part of the last Spiderman movie in Cleveland Ohio,...I think it was a 10 second car crash scene or something.

One night around 2am I was taking a walk down one of our adjacent streets, when I saw a bright light shining through the trees. It looked like a UFO. It turned out to be a film crew making a movie, and the bright lights were huge and high above the ground.
Ya mean to tell me all those UFO sightings over the last 60 years or so were just Hollywood film makers!? :eusa_doh:

Trickeration

Practically Family
Okay, I've got some.

Top Gun is supposed to take place at Mira Mar down San Diego way. The house Kelly McGillis' character lives in is in Oceanside, just down the street from where my husband lived when we dating. They had to have the camera angle just right to film, because it's pretty rough all around there.

CSI Miami is filmed here in Long Beach. I run across their crews all the time downtown and near the Boy Scouts sea base by the bay. Same with Power Rangers a while back. We also had an episode of Cold Case filmed at Lakewood High School in the pool building and on the track. I think it was supposed to be Chicago.

Speaking of Chicago, Ferris Bueller's house is also just a couple of blocks from me.

The Hillary Duff movie Cinderella Story, which takes place somewhere in L.A. filmed the Fiona's Diner scenes at the Georges 50's Diner 2 blocks from me, too. It looks a lot uglier in it's regular state and they keep it bare bones inside so it's ready for other films.

My son is just finishing up at Hughes Middle School in Long Beach, which was the school Robert Downey Jr.'s character attend's as a child in Heart And Souls.

My daughter's school gym was used in Coach Carter and Pleasantville.

We also have commercials filmed in our neighborhood fairly often. When the new Star Wars toys came out a few years ago, they filmed the commercial a few houses down from us. It was pretty entertaining. They brought in flats of extra flowers and bushes to make the yard they were using look "more authentic" [huh] . And they rented my son's best friends front yard to set up the lunch area and park a massive catering truck. I walked my son over to play with his friend Kevin (I had to explain to security who we were, and get their okay) and Kevin's mom and I drooled over the menu we could see from her porch, and the smells. They had prime rib, grilled salmon, cornish hens, all the trimmings for them, chocolate cakes that were even decorated with curls of chocolate on top... It was amazing. The I went home to my tuna sandwich for lunch :eek: .

It's been interesting living in Long Beach. I'd never known so much filmimg goes on around here. Now whenever I see those yellow or orange signs with a word written upside down and right side up, with arrows pointing 2 directions, I know not where to go. Either a roadblock or traffic will slow me down if I follow the arrow. But, if you see a sign like that, it'll lead you to some sort of filming location if you want to check one out.

Oh and I've been to the beach from the movie From Here To Eternity.
My epic post is over now. :) Trix

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's a couple...

The Matrix - which is meant to be a US city but was filmed in Sydney. Having lived in Sydney I found it quite amusing to see various shops and buildings in the background of shots.

The Last Samurai - purporting to be 19th century Japan when in fact it was filmed in the Taranaki in NZ. Cruise was apparently a bit of a hit with the locals and Mt. Taranaki did a good job passing as Mt. Fuji.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Smithy said:
Here's a couple...

The Matrix - which is meant to be a US city but was filmed in Sydney. Having lived in Sydney I found it quite amusing to see various shops and buildings in the background of shots.

The Last Samurai - purporting to be 19th century Japan when in fact it was filmed in the Taranaki in NZ. Cruise was apparently a bit of a hit with the locals and Mt. Taranaki did a good job passing as Mt. Fuji.

You mean it wasn't filmed in 19th C Japan!?! How inauthentic. ;)

Cinderella Man was filmed here in TO; the sets were entire streets made-up to look like 20s and 30s New York. It was fun. Shame about the movie though.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
jake_fink said:
You mean it wasn't filmed in 19th C Japan!?! How inauthentic. ;)

If you've ever been to 21st century New Plymouth you'll know just how very different it is ;)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well the cult classic movie The Warriors was positively shot entirely on location in NYC:)
w.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Denver

Several Perry Mason movies were shot in Denver. I've also read that Denver was used for films set in Chicago. However, Denver is a lot cleaner than Chicago, and they had to stop using Denver because of the lack of a fresh coat of grime.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As Trickeration mentioned, Long Beach is used for a lot of filming. It's always turning up - Legend of Ron Burgundy (which I believe was supposed to be Miami), Dexter (HBO series - again, supposed to be Miami but they use Alamitos Bay and Naples in Long Beach), and while most of Ferris Bueller's Day Off was filmed on location in and around Chicago, Ferris' house was actually in Long Beach. Six Feet Under - another series filmed in Long Beach. Along with Palm Desert, Desert Hot Springs, Palos Verdes & Santa Monica, it was also featured in the classic, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. I always get a kick out of seeing the old Palm Springs & Long Beach of my early childhood in the 60's - Sid Caesar & Edie Adams walking into Imperial Hardware in downtown Long Beach, and after dynamiting the basement wall, walking out of a Chinese laundry in Santa Monica...which I'm sure, in reality, wasn't a laundry at all. Corinna, Corrina was filmed there more recently (about 15 years ago) masquerading for the 50's, and we watched filming at a friend's restaurant in Bixby Knolls (Whoopi Goldberg - not a nice person at all). And the Queen Mary, of course, shows up in lots and lots of movies & TV shows. But it's always fun to be sitting here and recognizing something in a movie or TV show and say, "Wait a minute...is that....?!?!?!?!"

My mom's old office, Unocal Center in downtown LA, is showing up in a lot of movies as well, now that Unocal's moved out. It was the bank in Cellular. In one, at least, they were using the same visitor parking space I'd always be put in when I'd run up there. Back in the 70's or 80's, she was coming back from lunch one day and they wanted to use her in an episode of Sledge Hammer they were filming out front. She declined, but a couple of her friends ended up in the episode.

Monk, set in SF, is filmed mostly in LA. But a lot of other USA & SCI-FI channel shows are filmed in Vancouver/Victoria, B.C. Dead Like Me, supposedly set in Seattle, was actually filmed in Victoria and Vancouver. The more recent Outer Limits series was filmed there. They film a lot of TV shows up there. They get cheaper labor than filming with US union crews and fewer restrictions. Always seemed a little hypocritical of me - Hollywood elite saying everyone needs to be in a union in interviews, and then they're asked about their next project, and they're in Victoria filming their next project due to lower costs. Go figure...

Seattle was used extensively for Stephen King's Rose Red. Friends got to be extras but I couldn't get away to join them. Shots of the characters looking through the gates at Rose Red were shot in downtown Seattle. Shots from behind of the characters looking through the gates at the house were shot in Lakewood (Tacoma). The wonders of film - they also moved the setting sun, the Space Needle and put Mount Rainier about 100 miles northwest of it's actual location for the overhead shots of the house with downtown Seattle & Puget Sound in the distance. Why didn't they just matte in Rose Red on Queen Anne or Magnolia?

Seattle was also in Sleepless in Seattle, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Twin Peaks, Fabulous Baker Boys, Assassins, loads of others that I'm leaving out, and loads of commercials. But it's always fun seeing somewhere you recognize on the screen.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I'd like to see a film that takes place in Vancouver but is filmed on location in New York City.
Some of the Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton movie Bandits was filmed near my work. The funny thing is when the Thornton movie The man Who Wasn't There came out someone said "You know that was filmed here." I should have nodded and shut up. Instead I mentioned that it takes place in Santa Rosa but was filmed in Los Angeles. "they filmed it it near my friend's house she saw Billy Bob." "That was probably Bandits." says I. "Why would TMTWT have it take place in Santa Rosa and not film it there?" was her question. Again, I should have shut up. I posited that the Coen Brothers tend to make reference to other writers and movies, they probably chose Santa Rosa because of Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt. She became unhappy with me. Kind of like a discussion/row I had with someone about Double Jeopardy.:eusa_doh:
I lived near the Charlie's house from Shadow of a Doubt.
At one point three movies were being filmed in around Santa Rosa at once.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The Wolf said:
Personally, I'd like to see a film that takes place in Vancouver but is filmed on location in New York City.
Some of the Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton movie Bandits was filmed near my work. The funny thing is when the Thornton movie The man Who Wasn't There came out someone said "You know that was filmed here." I should have nodded and shut up. Instead I mentioned that it takes place in Santa Rosa but was filmed in Los Angeles. "they filmed it it near my friend's house she saw Billy Bob." "That was probably Bandits." says I. "Why would TMTWT have it take place in Santa Rosa and not film it there?" was her question. Again, I should have shut up. I posited that the Coen Brothers tend to make reference to other writers and movies, they probably chose Santa Rosa because of Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt. She became unhappy with me. Kind of like a discussion/row I had with someone about Double Jeopardy.:eusa_doh:
I lived near the Charlie's house from Shadow of a Doubt.
At one point three movies were being filmed in around Santa Rosa at once.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Is that great old library still standing? What about the train station?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Todd Field drama "In The Bedroom," with Sissy Spacek and Tom Wilkinson and Marisa Tomei was filmed here in Rockland a few years back, and several people I know had bit parts -- it's one of the few Maine films I've seen that really*captures the crusty ambience of a pre-touristy coastal town.

About fifteen years ago, Mel Gibson's "The Man Without a Face" was filmed in several of the towns around here, and Mel made a royal pain of himself by disrupting local fishermen and just generally pushing people around. Adding insult to injury he stiffed the local media, of which I was then a part, by refusing to hold a promised press conference about the project in any kind of an accessible location, meaning most of us ended up missing out. Long before he became controversial, he'd burned his bridges here....

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
joan of arcadia is another one filmed all around Long Beach, CA. my university and the coffeehouse i worked at were featured multiple times!

and in my current location, portland OR.... the other night i hung out at the cafe that is housed in what used to be the drugstore in drugstore cowboy (or so i've heard).

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Rumors have it that Apollo 13 was not actually shot in space. Rumors are unconfirmed.

I know Chicago wasn't filmed in Chicago. Hah.

My high school, Venice High, was the set for Ridell High of Grease fame. It was also the set of the high school scenes in American History X. And the music video for Britney's Hit Me Baby One More Time.

LA has about one toll booth in the entire county. That one toll booth is used for probably more than half of all toll booth shots in Hollywood, regardless of what the location is supposed to be.

M*A*S*H was filmed in the Santa Monica Mountains.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
sorry to get back to you so late, jake

Mike is right the old Carnegie library in the movie was razed and a new one built. The original cornerstone is all that remains.
However the trainstation and Charlie's house have changed very little.
If anyone is in the neighborhood I'll show them the (movie) sites.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy