Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London vintage shop - Levinsons

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen,

Yesterday I was in Levinsons on Cheshire Street (just off Brick Lane). I thought I would report back on some of the stock, just in case there is anything that any of you might fancy.

He have an entire rail of rowing club blazers. Some appear to date back to the twenties or thirties (although the style has changed so little that it's difficult for an amateur like myself to tell). it was odd to see so many in one place at one time. Surprisingly, they weren't all small sizes. I noticed that one had a theatrical costumiers label and a couple werevery basic. I'm guessing it is stock from a costumiers that was having a clear out and some of the stock were original pieces and some were costume pieces. That's my guess. Certainly worth a look if you want something for a summer party.

He also had a dinner suit that looked to me to be from the 1910s or 1920s. Not in perfect condition, but pretty rare, I would think.

There was a rather impressive 1950s double breasted besoke suit, make in North London, that had covered buttons. Interestingly, for a British suit of that period, it had outward facing pleats, in the American style. Certainly a bit of a flash suit. It was in a moderately large size.

There was an almost perfect looking 1940s double breasted Burtons pin stripe suit. Damn good condition.

There were, as always, a few good Harris Tweed jackets. I got a nice grrenish-blue one - that I think is from the fifties - for £40. Not a bad price considering what some other places charge for much more modern, less tasteful, jackets.

I was pleased to see a shop in the Brick Lane area that was selling vintage clothing that has actually got a vintage, not just some fifteen year old cast-offs.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Is it 'House of Vintage'? They are opposite Levinsons (on their website, you can see Levinsons reflected in the window!).
I was in there a few months back and the selection of men's stuff was good, but too American for me, and a bit overpriced.
But this weekend, the men's selection was far smaller, with hardly any suits.

As for Levinsons, I noticed that their prices seemed not to be as high as they had been in the past. There was at least one suit for £90, whereas in the past everything was over £100. To my mind, they desperately need a website or at least an Ebay store, although that might undermine the chances of finding good stuff in store. I can only imagine how hard it is to survive by trying to sell genuine vintage clothing in an area where so many shops are selling 1980s suits and 1990s knitwear and calling it 'vintage'.

Yeah, I guess. That store (Levinson's), though, has been around in various guises in that shop, and one 'round the corner, for quite a few years now.

Yes, it was House of Vintage I meant. I remember some of their shirts being reasonably priced, but yes, very American. Have you been to (is it still there) the one further along Cheshire Street towards Beyond retro with all the ratty old French workwear? Some really nice pieces, but awfully expensive for badly mothed stuffs. There's also Absolute Vintage on Hanbury Street that I've had a whole pile of 30s Harris Tweed in all kinds of sizes. very reasonable (verging on ridiculously cheap) prices.

bk

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I don't know the second shop, down towards Beyond Retro. There was another shop very close to Levinsons (on the same side) that had some very nicely priced old peacoats. They've been sold now (no suprise) but I was impressed by the prices.

Have you ever been in Blackmans, the shoe shop? I've not been in for 20 years, but from the outside it looks like nothing has changed (since about 1930 ...).

'Absolute Vintage' on Hanbury Street is a strange one. Some of the stock is fantastic and cheaply priced, whilst things like modernish Aquascutum and Burberry raincoats seem ridiculously overpriced. A few months back I saw an old French work jacket (or it might have been military) in there that was fantastic, I couldn't buy it since I was already carrying an overcoat and a duffle coat (a present for my daughter). I've also seen the German 'Nachmitte und Abend' (black suits) in there.

'This Shop Rocks' is also interesting. Last time I was in there, the suit selection was quite wide - if you wanted vintage Royal Navy and Merchant Navy officers suits. Personally, I wouldn't mind one, just because the heavyweight doeskin is so nice. But I couldn't wear one with any insignia or gold buttons and I would feel a pang of regret to remove the insignia.

Have you been in the shop 'Blitz' which styles itself as a 'vintage department store'? I was very unimpressed. I saw hardly anything I would consider to be truly deserving of the vintage tag. The selection of ties was appalling and overpriced. Hafl of them were ties that a charity shop woul be unable to sell for 50p.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I spent a bit of time a couple weeks back around Brick Lane. And a month before, as well. This Shop Rocks seemed to have reasonable prices, Hunky Dory at the end of the street very nice pieces, smaller sized shop, my wife ended up buying stuff there (I'd bought some items before there)..

My main problem with the vintage shops there is that I've yet to see a leather jacket I'd buy. 99% are crummy, the 1% wrong size. The best value wise purchase by far was a slightly damaged LFC away shirt from early 90s, embroidered, John Barnes's name and number. 15 pounds.

And the best for me, personally, a present to my wife, a beautiful women's cape that was at Hunky Dory. Sorted it out after the trip, they were excellent at the shop, helped me out with the right cape and shipped it to France with no problems...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner