Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long haired 1930s 1920 looks?

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
I love thirties and twenties hair and fashions but I really don't want to chop my hair off anymore. Also since I feel like I have a pretty long face I cant really do anything that's flat to my face. What are some of your solutions??

(Sorry if this has been posted before)

littleblackcar

New in Town
A lot of women didn't cut their hair. What I've seen of long hairstyles seems to be a lot of flat-against-the-head, parted down the middle, and with a bun in the back.

A small number of images here. I kind of like second row, second column (with the peplos dress and big teardrop earrings); it has kind of a Spanish look.

I'd look up fashion plates from the early 1920's. The "flapper" look didn't really take hold until later in the decade; early on, long hair was still pretty common.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Ann Harding is always the first to come to mind when I think of long hair and the 20s/30s:

4430469434_e568ea0784_o.jpg

4509483922_168649fcb7_o.jpg

4508845865_85ee0c6e13_o.jpg

Annichen

Familiar Face
Just keep an eye on ladies do's in late 20s early 30s films, you'll see that they have buns or braids pinned in the back.
Only famous actress I can think of at the moment who had fairly long hair is Myrna Loy:

1812638042_39cb4360a5_o.jpg

2-12-07-02Loy1.jpg

MyrnaLoy.jpg

171480837_8f6362f707.jpg

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
I too have long hair, there doesn't seem to be many [1920's] options for us. Here are some styles I've been trying to recreate:
Dav24.jpg
Love23.jpg
RalstonJ021.jpg

RalstonJ004.jpg
Naldi21.jpg
Naldi11.jpg
Dove073.jpg
Velez014.jpg

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Love those pictures DigThatBeat. I'm using them for inspiration, I have waist length hair myself and run out of ideas every now and then.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Any flapper worth her name had a bob! ;) Having said that, there were some who tried to make believe they had bobs without chopping their locks. I will add these few to the ones mentioned above:

Dolores Costello
5290.jpg

Dolores del Rio
Dolores_del_Rio_from_Stars_of_the_P.jpg

the wonderful Lillian Gish
wzxf36b4qmh8q4h3.jpg

sisters Lillian and Dorothy Gish
gish.jpg

one more of Miss Gish
8dtnwj28cfktfctj.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
Not every woman (even young women) were Flappers in the 20s though. As said above...many women waved their hair at the front and curled or rolled the back up to keep up with fashion. It was pretty common to do this. Flat to head with a curved roll at the back was still very chic.

Marla

A-List Customer
Short hairstyles were 'in style' then, but that didn't mean you had to have short hair, as illustrated above. Most commonly women would use a hair net or a hair rat to roll their long hair into a tight roll in the back. This can be seen in movies from the time--when the heroine is getting ready for bed she unrolls the roll (which was likely fastened with bobby bins) and her long hair falls out onto her shoulders.

Lillemor

One Too Many
My maternal grandmother had relatively long hair in the 30s but just had an extra tight wave for photos to make her hair appear much shorter, really deep zig-zags. I wish I'd thought of starting this topic when I was all about long hair. I still prefer long hair for ease of care and the way it looks on me but I'm having it bobbed on Monday due to extreme damage that styling can cause in the summer.:rolleyes: I thought we had a bob thread but I can't find it.:eusa_doh:

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
It must be the Edwardian in me, but I am LOVING these transitional hairstyles! There's a wonderful feminine softness to them.

Annichen

Familiar Face
Here is a ad for a hair thingy to "hide" long hair or so..it was the only picture and not much text, never seen that one before:

hair_thingy.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Looks like a switch, Annichen - here's a blog entry I wrote on them, complete with some photos of a commercially available switch I have in my collection and instructions on how to style the hair with it:

http://sydneyflapper.livejournal.com/22968.html

Some women kept their own hair to use in this fashion when they had their hair bobbed.

Annichen

Familiar Face
Mojito said:
Looks like a switch, Annichen - here's a blog entry I wrote on them, complete with some photos of a commercially available switch I have in my collection and instructions on how to style the hair with it:

http://sydneyflapper.livejournal.com/22968.html

Some women kept their own hair to use in this fashion when they had their hair bobbed.

Yes, the switch was for women who cut their hair,a 20s thing..this thing is for women who didn't cut it off, the ad is from 1930.
It actually looks like a plate with two holes in it that you thread your hair through...

But like other ads for things to hide long hair it leaves me clueless how to actually use lol

Auburn-Jane

New in Town
I have very long hair as well. what I suggest is to roll it into itself and secure with a pageboy band inside then hide the band with bobby pins. hair needs to be pre curled in order to have volume. it will have a bit of a triangular shape but looks good if you can get it right.

~Kate~

New in Town
Does anyone have any idea how to get "Mary Pickford" curls? I've tried waveclips+rollers, as well as rag curls but I can't seem to get anything even close :confused:

Isis

One of the Regulars
My hair is cut in a middy that reached just below my shoulders and it's fairly easy for me to make a "short" hairstyle by pinning in my hair under itself at the neck:

IMG_0298.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have any idea how to get "Mary Pickford" curls? I've tried waveclips+rollers, as well as rag curls but I can't seem to get anything even close :confused:

What do you mean by Mary Pickford curls? She usually had her hair pinned up and waved (as in a faux bob) or down in ringlets like this:

pickford-mary-rose.jpg

~Kate~

New in Town
What do you mean by Mary Pickford curls? She usually had her hair pinned up and waved (as in a faux bob) or down in ringlets like this:

pickford-mary-rose.jpg

I mean down in ringlets. (The top part looks a bit like finger waves or something to me but I could be wrong on that.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner