Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long haired men in the Golden Era?

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I hate to be the only person posting here but I just saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow and learned about the House of David baseball team. The House of David was a religious commune founded in 1903 that fielded several very popular baseball teams starting in 1913. Male members were supposed to maintain a vegetarian diet, were not allowed to cut their hair or shave or have sex. Their baseball teams also hired ringers from the major leagues, even getting Babe Ruth to appear in a wig and false beard. The commune also fielded some popular jazz bands and were responsible for several inventions. Fascinating history that I'm going to have to look into now that I'm aware of it.
houseofdavidQuicke-mailview.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
German 'Swing Kids'

I once met a former 'Swing Kid'. He told me that he and his friends knew which barbers in Lubeck would trim their hair without cutting it too short. The barbers who were sympathetic to them were mainly former-communists who defied the Nazis in this small way. He told me that one day he was stopped by the local Hitler Youth leader who forced him to join the organisation. At the first meeting he was pulled to the front and his hair tied up in a ribbon. The officer then told him that all the hair beyond the ribbon had to be cut off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn