Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long house dress/dressing gown

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Ladies,

I was watching the notebook last week and saw the most gorgeous piece of clothing--the dressing gown. I saw a character wearing one. It looked like a vintage evening dress that was basically split in half and a zipper or buttons attaching the middle back together. I ilke the idea of the zipper. Keeps everything in place.

Does anyone own one and use it? It seems like the perfect thing to toss on after you get out of the shower and are doing make up. Or just want to stall on getting dressed. And so lady like and pretty in the morning, when sometimes I can't even handle thinking straight until I've had a cup of coffee.

Sigh! I have issues with today's bathrobes. They don't stay tied and just look so frumpy most of the time. And really--they are for the bath--not for just lounging or sitting at your kitchen table having a morning cup of joe.

Ladies--your thougthts?

- Miss Dottie

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have a jersey hostess gown that I love to wear, and a satin and lace dressing gown (this one is on layaway) that zips and is open from the waist down. I agree that regular bathrobes can look sloppy and never stay tied :) The one vintage robe I have is very tailored and buttons with Chinese frog closures; it's very elegant and fairly modest so you don't reveal too much!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I love long dressing gowns, and long robes too. I hate all those short (way above the knee) robes that are popular.

I have a very pretty navy blue one I bought from Talbots several years ago, but they seem very hard to find recently, just wearing it makes me feel pretty!

I agree that todays robes just don't stay tied and look dowdy and frumpy. For just out of the bath, and early mornings I wear my full length chenille one that buttons down the front. It washes beautifully and gets softer each time. My husband calls it my "40's Mom" look, because with my hair up in pincurls and this robe on, coffee cup in hand, I do look the part! The buttons vs. the ties are what makes this my favorite early morning robe, because when I see the kids to door for the bus, I don't have to worry about my robe untying and looking sloppy:)

Caledonia

Practically Family
I love fitted housecoats. I haven't got one made yet, although I have a vintage wedding dress that is too small, but with a bit of adaptation (inserts and such) will make a gorgeous house coat. I have a few patterns, some for summer, some for winter. I want to make up a winter one soon-ish. The patterns I have are all full length, button up, or are fitted but with a tie. I think for the tie versions I would add a couple of hook and eyes behind for security.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own two vintage dressing gowns. The zipper is broken on one and it is in delicate condition:( so I have never worn it. The other is a navy blue with red hand painted flowers, it is in great conditon, but I don't wear it in fear that I will get make-up or hair goo on it.
You might want to check out the "vintage PJ's, dressing gowns and more...." thread. There are a lot of ladies discussing their vintage dressing gowns and PJ's there.
I like the idea of a long dressing gown or robe. It's much more elegant and comfortable than those short robes that never stay tied. Here's a picture of my navy and red robe, it has a half zip in the front. I really should use it, it's so comfortable. Pretty enough to wear out, but I can't because I know it's a robe. Although I'm sure that if I did, people wouldnt know it was.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Daisy, that dressing robe is stunning! You look fancy enough to go out to a ball. Thank you for posting the picture.

And I will check out the other thread on it.

I really need to find one of these or possibly make ont. But I don't think I've ever even seen a pattern for one. But man, does that sound comfy. I'd love to make a nice winter one out of flannel.

I saw the most gorgeous one at a vintage clothing shop but it was wool. And I just don't think I could do it next to my bare skin. Oof!

Any suggestions on where to get vintage dressing gown patterns?

Thanks ladies, you are so helpful, as usual!

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Dottie said:
Daisy, that dressing robe is stunning! You look fancy enough to go out to a ball. Thank you for posting the picture.

And I will check out the other thread on it.

I really need to find one of these or possibly make ont. But I don't think I've ever even seen a pattern for one. But man, does that sound comfy. I'd love to make a nice winter one out of flannel.

I saw the most gorgeous one at a vintage clothing shop but it was wool. And I just don't think I could do it next to my bare skin. Oof!

Any suggestions on where to get vintage dressing gown patterns?

Thanks ladies, you are so helpful, as usual!

Thanks for the compliment!
I have heard some of the ladies here talking about finding vintage dressing gown patterns, but I have never seen one. I did just start to sew, so that might be why.
I found both of my dressing gowns, and have seen quite a few more, on ebay. They are usually listed under the "other" category in the vintage section. Sometimes sellers list them under the vintage dress category because they don't realize that what they are selling is a dressing gown and not a dress. What is actually a dressing gown will end up selling for way too much money, because the seller thinks they are selling an evening dress or ball gown. I don't know how many ball gowns have half zippers or buttons up the front.

magneto

Practically Family
Miss Dottie said:

I saw a Chinese button-up (with the frog closings as Jitterbugdoll describes) lounging robe/gown in a Chinatown store once that was patterned silk on the outside, lined with flannel inside, for winter wear... maybe something like that?

Caledonia

Practically Family

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Ladies of the lounge--thank you once again! Hugely helpful. I'm certainly going to check out those links and go to chinatown to see if I can find any of those sassy frogged robes.

Daisy Buchanan

magneto said:
I saw a Chinese button-up (with the frog closings as Jitterbugdoll describes) lounging robe/gown in a Chinatown store once that was patterned silk on the outside, lined with flannel inside, for winter wear... maybe something like that?
I too have seen such dressing gowns in Chinatown. They are beautiful. They had ones for both summer and winter. They were also reasonably priced. Great suggestion. Thanks for reminding me, I've also been looking for a comfortable robe that is vintage-like. I'm to fearful to wear my vintage one, don't want to mess it up. Because of this I won't buy another vintage one. I love them, but kind of pointless if I'm not gonna wear it. It's nice to find a vintage looking one that I could wash and wear, and wouldn't worry so much about. For some reason when I get ready, I often end up with some kind of hair product or black make-up on another part of my body that isn't my face! So clumsy......Hence the reason why I shouldn't wear the vintage ones.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I have a vintage dressing gown and a modern one. The styles are similar- 3/4 sleeves with a waist tie. The vintage one is pink silk, with flared sleeves (wider at the base than the top), where the modern one is white polyester "satin" with puffed sleeves.

The white one came with a matching strappy nightgown- it really is very vintage-looking and so elegant. I don't know where it came from, but probably a department store (Hudson's most likely). My grandmother gave it to me as a wedding present. She is 96 and always wears something similar- with heeled slippers! :)

magneto

Practically Family
Sweet Leilani said:
I have a vintage dressing gown and a modern one.

The white one came with a matching strappy nightgown- it really is very vintage-looking and so elegant. I don't know where it came from, but probably a department store (Hudson's most likely). My grandmother gave it to me as a wedding present. She is 96 and always wears something similar- with heeled slippers! :)

Kudos to your grandmother--I want to be like that when I grow up! ;)

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Me too!

She credits her longevity to smoking cigarettes in moderation and drinking a beer every night at 10! :D

Here is a photo of her in 1936 on a cruise to Havana- she's on the right.
untitled.jpg

Incidentally, the woman on the left (my great-aunt) is wearing a house coat, I believe- just so we can stay on topic!

magneto

Practically Family
Sweet Leilani said:
Me too!

She credits her longevity to smoking cigarettes in moderation and drinking a beer every night at 10! :D

Here is a photo of her in 1936 on a cruise to Havana- she's on the right.

That is the cutest picture! :)

I have been looking for a vintage robe myself since I need one but like you Daisy, I would be terrified of messing it up due to my fondness for early morning coffee drinking...I think I will take my own advice and hit Chinatown soon...

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: Speaking of Chinatown, does anyone know if they still sell those retro brocade wedges (they look very 1940s)? Some of the swing dancers out here wear them, but I could not find a pair when I was in San Francisco last month.

Daisy Buchanan

jitterbugdoll said:
:eek:fftopic: Speaking of Chinatown, does anyone know if they still sell those retro brocade wedges (they look very 1940s)? Some of the swing dancers out here wear them, but I could not find a pair when I was in San Francisco last month.
I remember looking at those a few months ago at the Chinatown in Boston. I don't usually get down that way, but I will take a look the next time I am there. I'll let you know when I'm going, I can always pick you up a pair, if I'm thinking of the same ones you are.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I remember looking at those a few months ago at the Chinatown in Boston. I don't usually get down that way, but I will take a look the next time I am there. I'll let you know when I'm going, I can always pick you up a pair, if I'm thinking of the same ones you are.

That would be wonderful, Daisy :) All I came across were the flat mary janes, and the shoes I am thinking of were closed-toe wedges with a strap (which I think had a frog closure.) Someone told me they paid less than $20 for them, so I was so disappointed when I didn't find any while I was there :(

swankysister

New in Town
Sweet Leilani said:
My grandmother gave it to me as a wedding present. She is 96 and always wears something similar- with heeled slippers! :)
At a local heritage house that has remained almost unchanged since the 1920s, they sometimes do tours of the clothing still held within the wardrobes. One item is a 1940s 'Hollywood' style dressing gown. Apparently, the husband used to wake up, get the kids ready for school and leave for work. Then, the wife would get out of bed, put on her dressing gown and heeled slippers and do some housework. :D

I've got a lovely red watermark-patterned satin, floorlength men's housecoat completely lined with fake fur. It kind of looks like an old, classy Santa Claus coat! Apparently it was worn by a New Yorker in the 1920s (or so I was told as it was sold to me).

Daisy Buchanan

jitterbugdoll said:
That would be wonderful, Daisy :) All I came across were the flat mary janes, and the shoes I am thinking of were closed-toe wedges with a strap (which I think had a frog closure.) Someone told me they paid less than $20 for them, so I was so disappointed when I didn't find any while I was there :(
I will definitely let you know the next time I am going down there. I will be more than happy to send you a pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick