Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long Island Iced Tea

Mav

A-List Customer
I vaguely remember, about 25 years ago, after an all night binge of Long Island Ice Teas at a blackjack table in Reno, trying to hotwire a bread truck delivering to Circus Circus. With a new customer. We were unsuccessful. But it resulted in a faithful customer. I remember nothing else.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
A pub not far from my old uni used to have a student special and sell them by the jug. As can be imagined it was pretty messy by closing.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Why it came to mind.....

I attended a party last week that had a Tea Party theme. Nothing political; just LI iced tea and the stuff you smoke. No other spirits, wine, beer....nothing. I left early as it became quite unmanageable in short order.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
When I was in art school in Ft. Lauderdale, back in the mid-eighties, there was a tavern called "Spats" in a mall. Long Island Iced Teas were a pretty new sensation back then, and drinking heavily was still a 'fun' thing to do. Spats mixed theirs one at a time and served them in BIG Mason Jars for $5.00. On Tuesdays, it was Two-For-One. Two of those inside of half an hour would pretty much do the trick. :eek:

Edward

Bartender
Had several of them at a wedding last February. Good stuff. Spread out over the entire course of the day (four or five in seven hours or so) they didn't do me any perceptible harm, though I was pretty shocked when I realised how many Units that translates to! lol

rumblefish

One Too Many
I remember having quite a few of them at their supposed birthplace, the OBI (Oak Bach Inn) on the south shore of Long Island. I've also made them at home by request, but really not my cup of tea. It's the only "long drink" I recall making that is comprised almost entirely of straight booze. Which I guess why it has earned a reputation of a dangerous drink. Long Island Iced Teas are no stronger than say a martini (matter of fact it's probably weaker), it's just a lot if alcohol in a large glass. When they were all the rage, I remember some bars having a two drink limit per customer, like that was ever enforced. :rolleyes: *hic

HepKitty

One Too Many
rkwilker said:
I recall blowing through many of them in my mispent youth. They were an inexpensive way to achieve a "certain mindset". This was in the 80's and I'm told I had a very good time. ;)

haha, awesome!

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I vaguely remember, about 25 years ago, after an all night binge of Long Island Ice Teas at a blackjack table in Reno, trying to hotwire a bread truck delivering to Circus Circus. With a new customer. We were unsuccessful. But it resulted in a faithful customer. I remember nothing else.

May, this is hilarious!

I hadn't had a Long Island Iced tea in ages, but had 2 of them just last week at Happy Hour. I was toasted by 6 p.m. and my "date night" with the Mister ended shortly thereafter. I'm a cheap drunk, evidently.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lookie what the Captain done did.....

....makin' it way too it easy....Saw it tonight at the local spirits purveyor......

Captain_Morgan-icedtea.jpg

Mav

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
....makin' it way too it easy....Saw it tonight at the local spirits purveyor......

Uh- oh. That makes any potential sober- up delay caused by assembly time completely moot.
This now brings LIIT into the sphere of afternoon yard- work and gardening beverages. For about an hour.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
I have never had a full strength one as they are illegal to sell in Utah. The watered downs they do sell here are good. Maybe next time I'm in Denver I will have to try a real one.

HepKitty

One Too Many
djhatman said:
I have never had a full strength one as they are illegal to sell in Utah. The watered downs they do sell here are good. Maybe next time I'm in Denver I will have to try a real one.

lol if it's not watered down, it will be illegal in UT

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Had dinner last week at a restaurant, the Blue Elephant, which serves Royal Thai cuisine, and my dinner companion ordered a Bangkok Iced Tea, which I think was made with real vanilla tea. I had a sip and it had a gorgeous deep and rich vanilla taste with just a hint of tea and whatever else usually goes into LIIT. Could have drunk a gallon of the stuff, and I'm generally, ha-ha, a teetotaler (much better than the durian cheesecake that I tried out for curiosity's sake *yucky*).

Oktobr

New in Town
The new version on the block this summer was the "Raspberry LIT." Truly, a revelation. Almost blacked out for the first time since high school drinking those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy