Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Look Alike Experiences

Doh!

One Too Many
Back when I had a full beard, a homeless man thought I was Dennis Miller. Or, as he put it, "You're that guy on Monday Night Football." My immediate thought was, "How the hell does this guy know who hosts Monday Night Football? Does he watch the games at a friend's house?" I assured him I wasn't then went on my merry way.

Another time, I was sitting outside a Starbucks and this guy walks by, stops, and does a double-take. I asked him if I could help him and he said, "Sorry. I thought you were George Lucas." (Yes, George Lucas spends most mornings at Starbucks.)

Of the two, I'd rather look like Dennis Miller -- at least he doesn't have a bullfrog chin.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
In the 90s I used to get mistaken for this chick named "April." Apparently, this April person looked just like me and I even had two of her ex-boyfriends ask me out just because I looked so much like her.

I never saw or met April. I haven't heard the comparison in years because I don't hang out with those people anymore. By the sounds of it, this April chick was a real heartbreaker! I wonder where she is today and if we still look alike...

Sunny

One Too Many
I don't have one - I have many! I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has said, "You look just like a girl I knew in junior high/high school!" I was homeschooled, for crying out loud. I personally have never seen anyone, or even a photograph, of anyone who resembled me in the slightest. Except for my mother and one of my three brothers. [huh]

pigeon toe

One Too Many
No one's ever told me I look like anyone random. However, I'm always told that I'm the spitting image of my mother, except she's taller and has darker skin. But we do look exactly alike in the face. I also look a lot like my aunt as well (who is shorter and paler), but most of all like my mom.

My roommate has a doppelganger though, who I knew through livejournal, but also lives in LA. She actually took over my roomie's position at this store when she quit! We've all been meaning to get together for dinner sometime, but we're afraid that if they are in the same room together the universe would collapse or something. They look EXACTLY alike!

Rafter

Suspended
pigeon toe said:
No one's ever told me I look like anyone random. However, I'm always told that I'm the spitting image of my mother, except she's taller and has darker skin. But we do look exactly alike in the face.
Hey PT, I think you resemble Hedy Lamarr.
hedy-in-color.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
A few years ago, I met this guy, we exchanged numbers but nothing ever came of it. Months later, I was walking down the street and I ran into him. He said he was surprised I spoke to him since the last time we saw one another I behaved as though I didn't know who he was. I told him I hadn't seen him in quite a while but he insisted we had seen one another. It was fairly recent he said, I was wearing a purple suede coat. I told him, I don't own a purple suede coat. But he insisted it was me. [huh]

When I was in elementary school, I went to a very small parochial school across the street from one of my Auntie's houses. Up the street from her house was a playground where the school would take us for recess. Anyway, one day,we are at recess and I see my Mommy walk up the street. She should have been at work but, I assume she got off early and was going to my Auntie's house. I call her, but she doesn't hear me. I ask my teacher if I can go after my mom, he looks up, sees her and says okay. So, off I go running, calling my mom. Finally, the woman stops and turns around. I run until I am THISCLOSE to her and realize it wasn't my mom. Wierd.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just how old do I look ...

Several years ago at a funeral I was approached by an older gentleman (probably in his mid-80's). He greeted me by saying, "I haven't seen you in years."

I didn't recognize him at all, but thought that he must have known me as a child, so I carried on the conversation as if I remembered him. He then asked me if I still liked to drive my car fast. Having been in my youth somewhat guilty of that, I responded that I did not. He then said, "I remember when you wrecked that '39 Plymouth on the road to Old Fort."

Having never wrecked a car, not to mention ever having a '39 Plymouth, I responded, "that wasn't me, you must be mistaken."

He said, "You are Bill Brown, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am", (I go by William, but some people call me Bill and a few call me Will).

"Well, don't try to lie to me" he said. "I remember when you, Charlie McGimpsey, and Red Simmons were in the wreck after a ball game."

"You must have me confused with my Dad" I said.

"No, your Dad died in '32, don't try to say that wasn't you" he said.

I could see that this conversation was going down hill real fast, so I played along and took responsibility and quickly ended the conversation. What happened was that he had confused me with my father. Now, while I don't mind being mistaken for my father, I did find it odd that he either thought I looked like I was in my 80's or that my dad looked like he was in his 50's. [huh]

David V

A-List Customer
Somewhere I have a photo of myself and my "double" taken at a wedding. We are wearing similar suits, glasses and moustaches (it was the 70's so that part wasn't hard.) As I recall, my 'double' was not very good looking. :(

Dixon Cannon

Here's a little story..

My dad's brother Ed was a Colonel in the USMC during WWII. He died from malaria in 1950 and was buried in Arlington. He had the full military honors and the funeral was attended by lots of vets, including Marine Corp Commandant Gen. Vandergrift.

My dad told me the story that when Vandergrift got out of his car at the grave site, he stode up to my Dad quite vigorously and put out his hand. He had seen my Dad from a distance and was shocked at his appearance as he looked almost identical to his deceased brother - Vandergrift thought it was his Guadalcanal comrade come back to life! They shook hands and my Dad explained their sibling relationship -separated by only one year.

My dad always remarked about the expression on the old Generals face when confronted with subordinates 'doppleganger'!

-dixon cannon

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i can't think of any lookalike experiences i've personally had lately, but i am the master of finding vintage doppelgangers in old yearbooks/catalogs/photographs. many of my friends are used to me forcing them to check out this person on page 84 who looks "just like them" but in 1941! my own vintage doppelganger can actually be found in the 1946 section of that "everyday fashions of the 40s in sears catalogs" book.

does anyone else look for their friends' faces in vintage media?

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I was in Scotland, at a Capercaillie concert, and there was a girl there who looked *exactly* like my younger sister. Not sort of like. Not almost like. Exactly like her. The only difference was my sister is blonde and this girl was dark-haired. It was spooky.

I dated a girl one time that everyone said looked like me. I don't know if that's good or bad. :)

Daisy Buchanan

I completely agree with the Hedy Lamar comment. Pigeon Toe, you really do look like her!!

I'm not sure if I want to admit this for I know it will bring about some comments, but sadly for me my look-a-like is Monica Lewinsky:eek:!! When the whole scandal was going on I was a bit heavier and had the same haircut, although she's a bit taller than me. People would stop me in the mall, getting my morning coffee, ask me what I was doing in Massachusetts. During the scandal I took a trip to South Beach Miami with a couple of girlfriends. We're walking down the beach and this group of older people from another country had the nerve to come running up to me and strike a pose while their friend snapped a picture!! That entire trip, some person or another was pointing at me and whispering, or trying to take my picture.
There are cigar girls who walk around selling cigars, and I had promised to buy one for my boyfriend at the time. I don't know how many people thought me buying cigars made for a great picture. People sent me drinks at bars. It actually became rather annoying:(
I did profit off of it a bit. My boyfriend at the time was an assistant DJ for a local radio station (I'm not even gonna bring up the on air comments[huh]) . They had a Monica lookalike contest. I bought a blue dress and covered it in yogurt! I won, of course, and took home a few prizes including $500!
But this got old really fast. Luckily her fame waned and people started leaving me alone.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
One of my friends, a good looking girl, had this all over Europe as she travelled. People would run up to her and start talking in all sorts of languages, embrace her etc etc. She had to tell alot of people - 'I am not who you think I am and I don't speak Swedish/whatever language you are speaking to me'. It's quite bizarre!

I have only recently had someone I know say I met someone who looked really like you. They thought it was me from a distance that maybe they were related to me but I'd never heard the name (which I now forget) and none of my relations look at all like me.

I have always thought it must be really interesting to meet someone who looks like you. Well, quite strange!

By BF was sent a picture from a knitting pattern book that REALLY does look exactly like him. The same build, hands, everything. Also he is doing a draughtman's job which is what the BF's first job was. The people who sent it through were looking through the book and said their eyes nearly dropped out of their head when they saw it as it is from the 40s and he wasn't born till the 80s. We joked that that is why old ladies love him so much - they saw him in their knitting patterns in their youth!

funneman

Practically Family
Look alike?

Back in the eighties I was working on the radio in Norfolk, Virginia.

We kept getting phone calls from listeners claiming to have seen me at various bars around town, usually very drunk. While I certainly got around in those days, it was nothing like the reports we were getting from fans.

At a personal appearance at a local bar, a guy walked up to me with an odd look on his face and began talking about how he had really been looking forward to meeting me.

The whole time he was talking, I was wondering where I had seen his face before. Then suddenly i realized, this guy looked exactly like me. Same long hair, same moustache. It was really freaky. I remember feeling very strange talking to this guy.

Sadly, I didn't get a picture with my body double, but at least I had someone to blame my bad public behavior on after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff