Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a Skimmer

Baggers

Practically Family
I've been thinking about adding a straw boater to the collection. I saw that Baron, Berkley and Miller all offer what is probably the same Italian made hat, but Baron offers it in two brim widths and Miller has several different styles of ribbon.

Anybody here have any thoughts or recommendations they could share on the subject?

Cheers!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
There is only one manufacturer of this hat today . They are all made in Italy by one man . To my knowledge , there is only one brim width available . As for band color , anyone can change a band , but the classic way is to wear the hat with the blue and red stripe band . We carry them up to a size 7 /78.
At one time ,they were made here by Stetson , Dobbs ..ect , but that was a long time ago .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
:eek:

Baggers

Practically Family
besdor said:
There is only one manufacturer of this hat today . They are all made in Italy by one man . To my knowledge , there is only one brim width available . As for band color , anyone can change a band , but the classic way is to wear the hat with the blue and red stripe band . We carry them up to a size 7 /78.
At one time ,they were made here by Stetson , Dobbs ..ect , but that was a long time ago .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
:eek:

Hi Steven,
I thought that might be the case regarding the manufacturer after seeing three sites emphasizing Italian make, but Baron Hats offers a 3 inch brim in addition to the 2 incher. I'm really warming to the idea of a wider brim, as it would be more unique and possibly fit in more with the whole 1920s - 30s look better than the narrower one. What were the typical brims widths during that period, I wonder? As for the band, I totally agree that the navy and red club stripe would be the way to go.

Any more opinions anyone?
Cheers!

penfencer

Familiar Face
I own one- made in Italy. It's a true work of art. I had no idea there was only ONE manufacturer left!

I rarely wear it but it's one of my favorite hats. Go for it!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Another thing to consider. They have no give. Unlike the panamas and fedoras. You might have to get a size bigger unless your head measures right on the mark of your size. I wanted a wide brimmer too. I have this one curtrently.
my.php

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Now ,you have me interested . I never knew that these hats were available in a 3" brim . The problem is the crown and brim won't be proportioned with such a wide brim . :eek:
Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Baggers

Practically Family
Besdor, I'm wondering if proportion might be a rather subjective thing. After seeing Nick Charles' hat, my first reaction is that the 2 inch brim looks a bit "stingy" to me as I tend to prefer wider brims generally. "Horses for courses," as I've seen expressed by some on this forum.

And BTW Nick, yours looks very snappy on you. Also, you're right about the stiffness. I'd probably need to size up as I fall between 7 3/8 and 7 1/2 in most styles. That, and I'm a long oval as well.

And as for the ribbon, has anyone seen Scotrace's post regarding multi colored ones? It seems I'd need to go with plain black as I wouldn't want to claim an association with some organization unintentionally.

Cheers!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
3 inch brim

I have the one with the 3 inch brim. It looks just like the picture on the web site. I got it one size larger and the fit is great. I wear a 59 so I got a 60..

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Do any of you wear these in public, outside of election day?

Last summer, while dining at Henrietta's Table in Harvard Square, this very old gentleman came in wearing blue and white seersucker, bright red bowtie, and a boater. -Absolutely smashing!

Technically, I think the 2 inch is called a skimmer and the 3 inch is called a boater. I have one of each.
The ones from the 1950s make me laugh. The brim has a snap to the front of the brim. It is shaped right into the straw. I wear that one in summer.
You are completely right. When you order make sure of your head size because they are hard as a rock and have no give at all. As a first straw of this type I would go for the boater. They were available in both lengths from their inception.

Regards,

J

Baggers

Practically Family
I went ahead this morning and pulled the trigger on a 3" brimmed boater from Baron Hats.

As long as the size works out (I sized up and got a 7 1/2), I think it should look fantastic. The wider brim just looks better to me, for one thing, but what sealed the deal was browsing through some images I had appropriated from the London Lounge forum taken from Esquire magazines dating from the mid to late 1930s. There were two or three illustrations in which the subject was wearing a boater that had to have a brim wider than 2 inches. Taking the proportions of the Baron hat -- 3" brim, 3 1/2" crown -- and "guesstimating" the dimensions of the hat in the pictures, they seemed to be the same. And finally, living in Texas, the wider brim will provide more shade than the 2 incher. Gotta be practical!

Well, at any rate we'll see what UPS drops on my porch in a few days.

Where will I wear it? I don't know. My type of business really doesn't have a dress code. Most of the people I deal with are 20 somethings who usually wear t shirts, jeans, and sandals. I'm already known for being an "out of the box" dresser (in their eyes), so perhaps I'll freak them out a bit further and show up wearing it with my J. Peterman Spanish Linen jacket, some khakis and pair of suede chukka boots. Heck, I'll blaze my own trails in fashion trends! :D

Cheers!

up196

A-List Customer
I think you'll be pleased. I wear mine with a suit in the summer, and it's just right for a warm day at the range (see avatar) . . . Tom

Baggers

Practically Family
It's Here!

Well, it took a bit longer than expected, but my 3" boater from Baron Hats arrived today, and I have to say that's it looks pretty snappy. The liner doesn't have a maker's name in it, only "Florence Italy" printed underneath some artwork of a building with a tower. Baron sent a size 60, which is slightly loose on me, but I can always add a little padding under the sweat to snug it up a bit if I feel it's necessary. Overall, I'm quite impressed, and the wider brim gives it a little something extra than the more prevelant 2" brim. I'm now ready for some summer fun!

I'll post a picture tomorrow when I'm dressed a bit more in keeping with the look.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
I take it that you wanted a new skimmer, not a vintage one.

Uh, yeah.[huh]

Marc Chevalier said:
I ask because eBay has tons of vintage skimmers, all of the time. In most instances, they go for cheap.

I realise that. However I have a rather large head, and the idea of a 3" brim appealed to me more than the 2" ones usually found. And, at least I have a hat on my head tonight while I still might be looking for "the right deal" if I'd confined myself to eBay. I do a lot of business on that site, but sometimes it ain't worth the time and effort involved.

Cheers!

J.B.

Practically Family
Nerts!

Wouldn't ya just know it?

I hadn't seen mine in quite a while, so when I read this thread I immediately pulled it out to check...

...sure 'nuf -- it's only a two-incher! :eusa_doh: :cry:

Lance in Lodi

New in Town
Boater Hats

Recently I bought two on E Bay, one is a Stetson dated 1929 and the other is a Seaton Hall (couldn't find out anything about this manufacturer), both have 3" brim. One has a dark brown band and the other a light brown band, paid about $50.00 for both and they are in excellent condition. I belong to a Model A club so when we get dressed up I wear that or my Akubra. lots of fun to wear but no the most confortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97