Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for A2

Moe_Dante

Familiar Face
Hey all,

I am looking for an A2 in veg tan leather size 38/40 if anyone has an extra one hanging in the closet.
Just upfront, I have a limited budget.
I have had the chance to hold veg tan and Cxl, and I have to admit, I am more in the Veg tan.

Thanks ✌

Moe_Dante

Familiar Face
Yea I took a look, most of them for some reason are based in Japan and with no measurements and no reply and some look kinda sketchy . But I am looking from time to time. Trying to get it done before the vacation ends.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Perhaps not in your preferred hide, but in my experience, A2s are a dime a dozen. Apparently, EVERYONE made em. If you are smaller sized, then the Japanese market will suit you well. If you are not, you are likely wasting time looking there. As @photo2u stated, eBay should have some options for you. The eBay Japanese listings are often not the actual seller but a third party seller tacking on their cut to the original asking price. So they can't/won't always be able to answer specific questions. Japan doesn't have eBay domestically. Again, I may be speaking out of turn here as my comments are not hide specific. I am mainly speaking to the prevalence of A2s on eBay in the US.

Brettafett

One Too Many
On a budget, cant go wrong with one of AVI Leather's Broncos.
I did a review on here somewhere.
Patterns and details copied off an original in their collection, lots of jacket for the price.
A Goodwear it is not, but it ticks all the necessary boxes for an original maker horsehide (or goat) A-2.
Go up one size from your chest for best fit.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Here is a very nice jacket. Not a-2 but fits the bill. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2042634995...UBFx+k8b0vGgTL9ytjDNlkv1tF|tkp:Bk9SR4Kqns3vYQ
I have this jacket in my size. The hide is top rate. It does need some repair. However, this can be done by anyone who puts a little effort. Californian's are my favorites!

californian.jpg

cbez

One Too Many
I have a beautiful a2 38 coming but will most likely keep.

At that size I recommend Japanese 2nd hand, they tend to post pretty good measurements. You can find some pretty low prices if you are patient and the yen is weak rn.

i-img800x936-1647602543bqrigd153485.jpg

Moe_Dante

Familiar Face
Yea that makes sense. But let’s see there are two jackets at really fair prices 300 including shipping. But I will still have to account for around 20% taxes when it arrives in Germany
Perhaps not in your preferred hide, but in my experience, A2s are a dime a dozen. Apparently, EVERYONE made em. If you are smaller sized, then the Japanese market will suit you well. If you are not, you are likely wasting time looking there. As @photo2u stated, eBay should have some options for you. The eBay Japanese listings are often not the actual seller but a third party seller tacking on their cut to the original asking price. So they can't/won't always be able to answer specific questions. Japan doesn't have eBay domestically. Again, I may be speaking out of turn here as my comments are not hide specific. I am mainly speaking to the prevalence of A2s on eBay in the US.

Moe_Dante

Familiar Face
veg tan will be a little bit more expensive
Ea but I have to admit, I saw jackets here almost new and went for less than 300€. But mainly the sellers were based here in Europe. So yea Maybe I would get lucky, who knows

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
Not sure I want to sell but would this fit you? It’s tagged a 46 but fits like a 40ish because it shrunk after getting soaked. It’s vegetable tanned goat. Worn maybe three times. I bought it about 15 years ago maybe? There’s one small hole in a sleeve cuff.
30D075AA-0078-4E89-8459-E552A3037D4E.jpeg

CB415FFD-8D69-4481-BEC1-283573A9876F.jpeg

84057F84-9272-4399-A6C4-510797BC7B2D.jpeg

5382AF6B-CC3C-4A17-B3BC-8F97CCB2DF30.jpeg

C2BAF9D1-53DE-48E5-96BE-9A6F435F47D0.jpeg

A12C095D-6245-4ECC-AEC4-C75392C412D0.jpeg

Moe_Dante

Familiar Face
Not sure I want to sell but would this fit you? It’s tagged a 46 but fits like a 40ish because it shrunk after getting soaked. It’s vegetable tanned goat. Worn maybe three times. I bought it about 15 years ago maybe? There’s one small hole in a sleeve cuff.
View attachment 508306
View attachment 508307
View attachment 508308
View attachment 508309
View attachment 508312
View attachment 508314
The 23 inch back length is too short for me. But on the same topic, i did not know that you can shrink leather. How do you do it? Would really appreciate if you would walk me through it. I came across a jacket in badalassi leather but it is a bit larg but not by a lot and is basically still not broken in and he is asking for 300€ so it is a steal. If I can shrink it, that would be the holy grail for me

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
The 23 inch back length is too short for me. But on the same topic, i did not know that you can shrink leather. How do you do it? Would really appreciate if you would walk me through it. I came across a jacket in badalassi leather but it is a bit larg but not by a lot and is basically still not broken in and he is asking for 300€ so it is a steal. If I can shrink it, that would be the holy grail for me
It was an accident. I didn’t know you could shrink leather either. I wore the jacket in the rain and learned the hard way that vegetable tanning isn’t necessarily waterproof the way chrome tanning is. It got soaked through. (My only other experience with goat hide was my LL Bean flight jacket that was chrome tanned and virtually waterproof.) I tumble dried it just on the air setting and when it emerged it was 6 sizes smaller. I would imagine different leathers shrink at different rates and obviously if it’s already preshrunk it won’t have the same results. Good luck on your quest!

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
Also here’s a thread…
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fine-creek-virginia-beach-shrink-to-fit.105798/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy