Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for ideas/advice for a new jacket

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry couldn't come up with a better title :oops:

Anyway, I have a double rider on order, and have the option to get something painted on it. I had in mind to put something on the back, but am not too sure.

Anybody ever considered painting a jacket, and if so what would you do?
And if you wouldn't do it, what puts you off doing it?

Sorry for the confusing message but need some help deciding on that :D

Ever since the late Eightes I've loved the idea. Back then, all the cool LA rockers had painted Perfectos. We would go to Melrose just to drool. Now that I'm in my 40s, I dont think it's a good idea. My kids (and wife) would really question my judgement. If I were young, then- Hell Yeah!

I still love the idea but same as you, I've no clue what I would want painted on my jacket. I like to believe that I'll know when I see something cool enough but so far. . . Nothing.

But yeah, there's no point in getting something painted on just for the sake of having a painted Perfecto. It's kinda fake-ish. I've got a friend who's a tattoo artist and he says the clients that irate him the most are the ones that come in without having a first clue what they want to get inked. No idea why I mentioning this right now but I always think of that when I'm considering painting something on my jacket.

Like, skulls and that sorta stuff is too hipster biker friendly and that's suicidal at best.
Ditto for the "outlaw" MC club insignia inspired stuff plus it's really poserish if you're not in an actual MC club (and being in such an MC club is even more poserish and fake so no).
Something from a band you like is cool but I'm not really into bands, only songs so...
Movie stuff is a bit too nerdy.
What else is there?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I have a Perfecto style leather somewhere that I had sprayed up years ago for a costume event as Johnny Strabler's BRMC jacket. Wouldn't wear it out and about out of context, though. Partly through self preservation (OutLaws MC copied part of their colours from the BRMC logo, and some of them have been known to occasionally get a bit funny with people in BRMC stuff if they don't 'get' it (not all of them are familiar with The Wild One, I should imagine.) There's also something, to me, a bit naff about wandering around in something that looks like colours without having 'earned' them. It's just unnecessary and, at worst, provocative.

I tend to prefer my jackets plain for the most part. I might one day pick up a Perfecto type to have airbrushed with the Ramones' 'Presidential Seal', though that might limit its use. More likely I'll pick up a Corsair / HWM style jacket and do it as a Rocker jacket. That might be a more interesting way to go if you want a sense of period (rather than an eighties vibe) and want to avoid imitating MC colours. Some good images on this thread - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/british-rocker-jackets-c-1956-1969.82375/ - (though note the difference between the very highly stylised norm for repop rocker jackets, when that level of elaborate detailing was not the run of the mill back in the day - c/f A2s with extensive artwork). If you don't ride, google the legend of the 'Wot, no bike?' jacket!

Monitor summed it up best...I think a painted jacket is damn near as personal as a tattoo. It should have some meaning not just something arbitrary. Or I guess conversely it could be something totally whimsical. I suppose it depends on the personality of the person wearing it and ultimately I think the art should be a reflection of that. My wife likes to call me a paper tiger so I suppose my jacket would have something like this :mad::
tony9n-3-web.jpg

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
I've often considered painting the back of my Vanson in a style reminiscent of the Rockers of the 50's / 60's using my club name (I guess I'm a poser), I have an idea what I'd paint, I just haven't had the nerve to put paint to leather yet. I also considered doing it prior to being accepted into my club, but my concern was what I think is cool today, I may not think its cool tomorrow, so why ruin a perfectly good leather jacket? I may choose to leave the club, but it'll always be apart of me, so though I may not wear the jacket, it'll still serve as a memory.

Your forum handle is "Red Devil", there are tons of directions you could go with that.

I've often considered painting the back of my Vanson in a style reminiscent of the Rockers of the 50's / 60's using my club name (I guess I'm a poser).

To clarify; I didn't mean to imply that MC clubs in general are poserdom - I've been a member of a local motorcylce club and it was just a bunch of bike enthusiasts talking about motorcycles, exchanging parts, partying during the weekend or traveling together (and I still have my own patch that I immediately took off the jacket once I decided I didn't want to be a part of it anymore (because it started to suck)) - just the ones that pretend to be an outlaw biker club while they're comprised entirely of people with excellent jobs and even better income who utterly obey the law except when it's time to play pretend. The kinda guys covered in patches that scream "I am riding a motorcycle". The sort that's usually very vocal about how Sons of Anarchy is not realistic at all, even though watching the show is the closest they've ever gotten to being a member of an outlaw biker club. None of which exist anymore, anyway. If they ever had in the first place.

But anyway, yeah, MC club patches are cool tho you need to belong to a club to actually do that otherwise it's a silly idea. Then again, it's all just fun so why not?

red devil

Thanks guys!
I have to admit that I hadn't thought of using my forum handle :rolleyes:

I had in mind of painting an outline of a winged creature, bird or dragon. Although a red winged devil could work really well!
It's funny, although I have seen some tattoos that I like, I wouldn't consider doing one, as it can only look worse as time goes by in my mind. But on a jacket... it can only look better.

My first ever leather jacket that I got when I was 14 - 15 was incidentally a good one. Heavy, black cowhide with an eagle painted on the back and 'Easy rider' written. I think it was a Harley Davidson but can't say for sure as it was stolen unfortunately.

I guess that's why I am thinking of doing a winged creature on this one, but hoping to make it a bit less cheesy as well :)

red devil

Hell yeah there are!
b0129297_4f73e7455e97c.jpg

9717f299c8285620edb13f7762f87ea6.jpg

I kind of like the pin-up on a jacket, but perhaps a bit more deviant. Like the stuff on WWII bombers...

These are quite cool, especially the second one, wonder if it would look on a MC jacket.

Totally agree with the guys above. It IS like getting a tattoo, sans the permanence of it all.
If it doesn't have meaning, in short time, it's something you'll just regret.
@ton312 - that would be an epic jacket. Humor is one of the top priorities for me.
I got my first (only) tattoo two years ago after one of my son's band's shows. We had talked about it for a couple years - getting one that my Dad got in the USAF to keep the tradition. So, it was 102º and there was much Tequila. The kids all started calling me out for being a wuss and that was that. Sure, they're not supposed to tattoo an intoxicated human, but I guess they figured I was old enough to deal ;)
Now, I want one on the other arm or under side of this arm to remember my Mom. That's been tougher to figure out, but it will be done - likely when a little tipsy and some little pecker calls me out again!

Totally agree with the guys above. It IS like getting a tattoo, sans the permanence of it all.
If it doesn't have meaning, in short time, it's something you'll just regret.
@ton312 - that would be an epic jacket. Humor is one of the top priorities for me.
I got my first (only) tattoo two years ago after one of my son's band's shows. We had talked about it for a couple years - getting one that my Dad got in the USAF to keep the tradition. So, it was 102º and there was much Tequila. The kids all started calling me out for being a wuss and that was that. Sure, they're not supposed to tattoo an intoxicated human, but I guess they figured I was old enough to deal ;)
Now, I want one on the other arm or under side of this arm to remember my Mom. That's been tougher to figure out, but it will be done - likely when a little tipsy and some little pecker calls me out again!
I've got tattoos all over my arms! I just don't ever show them b/c there's no what t shirt are you wearing today thread :D...my daughters name in Amharic (the national language of Ethiopia) and some dates in Roman numerals. All in black. Well I have one with some red but it's small and on the inside of my upper arm, close to the pit. That one was especially invigorating. What's funny is I'd rather have a bad tattoo than a bad paint job on a jacket. I mean my body was free (for me) thanks to mom and dad.

I've got tattoos all over my arms! I just don't ever show them b/c there's no what t shirt are you wearing today thread :D...my daughters name in Amharic (the national language of Ethiopia) and some dates in Roman numerals. All in black. Well I have one with some red but it's small and on the inside of my upper arm, close to the pit. That one was especially invigorating. What's funny is I'd rather have a bad tattoo than a bad paint job on a jacket. I mean my body was free (for me) thanks to mom and dad.
Well, I didn't mention my Dad's reaction to our "tribute" ink.
"Tell me it isn't so"?
Yeah, that was it and I should have expected it. He's covered (forearm) that thing since like 1975, and seems fully embarrassed by it. My Dad transformed during his years in academia from a reasonably conservative, church-going guy who served his country to a very very left-sided, myopic chap. Love my Dad, but man, I felt kinda bummed for me and my son when he said that...
I hear you on the jacket too. I've only dressed one jacket - the original Aero Bronco A-2 I bought. I put a patch I had made of my Dad's USAF unit - the 23rd Bomber Squadron on it. That too had mucho meaning, so I was cool with it.

There should be a show is your tattoo thread if there's not one already. But there should be rules. We don't want to revive that shorts thread...LOL...even if it was the best one ever. I needed some laughs at that point in the summer and that thread did not disappoint.
Well, I didn't mention my Dad's reaction to our "tribute" ink.
"Tell me it isn't so"?
Yeah, that was it and I should have expected it. He's covered (forearm) that thing since like 1975, and seems fully embarrassed by it. My Dad transformed during his years in academia from a reasonably conservative, church-going guy who served his country to a very very left-sided, myopic chap. Love my Dad, but man, I felt kinda bummed for me and my son when he said that...
I hear you on the jacket too. I've only dressed one jacket - the original Aero Bronco A-2 I bought. I put a patch I had made of my Dad's USAF unit - the 23rd Bomber Squadron on it. That too had mucho meaning, so I was cool with it.
You did the right thing! Stuff like that needs to be passed down and remembered. It's a part of your story and his. I think old fashioned notions about tattoos are fading. Maybe not entirely but from my view, and depending on your beliefs, you only get one crack at this crazy ride. Make the most of it.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
There should be a show is your tattoo thread if there's not one already.

I haven't got too many, but a half sleeve on my upper left arm (my artist packed up and moved to the upper peninsula of MI after completing; sucks), a bracelet of skulls (my first at age of 18) on my left wrist and a couple I regret on my right bicep (been considering ideas for a cover-up)...

And my most recent piece that I got in Waikiki in Feb 2016.

ozOYByPl.jpg

red devil

Funny how this turned into a tattoo conversation :D
It makes sense since you are applying colour to skin in both cases. I thought about tattoo but can't figure out something I would want to keep forever on me. Ok, technology to remove them has improved, but it is still quite involved.
That being said, i am browsing tattoo art at the moment for that jacket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis