Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds A-2 (Collar Stand edition) vs Aero

OK, I've been looking to add a custom A-2 to my off the rack A-2 daily's.
Aero of course has my heart and business for other jackets, and I might use them for this too.
But...I'm not particularly worried about 100% authentic repro. Both companies can do it, but LW apparently has this at the top-tier.
The prices are pretty far apart, and it's months waiting vs 4-6 weeks at LW.
I'm kinda torn here. having looked, read, researched for a long time, I see things I like about both.
Can anyone tell me why it's worth going one way vs the other? Let's assume I like both options roughly the same. Is the LW really worth the extra $$$?
Opinions very welcomed here. It's about a $500 US differential...

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi BitteMT61;

Tough call but I'll give you my take. Of course it's just a personal and subjective opinion.
I'd get the Aero and I'd try to get the A-2 in their heavyweight FQHH. I just like the heft and the way the leather looks when broken in with the grain, creases and the marbling of the color. Some say they won't do the heavy horse in an A-2 but there's at least 1 member that has one, (maybe Gancho (Ollie)). My second choice would be the jerky horsehide. Great looking leather that will get tremendous graining and character although the jacket is quite a bit lighter in weight.

I like LW products but their A-2 in the 4oz. chromed tanned HH justs stays new looking for too long. I had one and I literally had to beat the crap out of it with daily abuse before it got any kind of character to it at all. I have to say though that jacket absorbed everything I could throw at it and always came back for more. Totally indestructable!

Best of luck in your decision making.

Regards, coffee

Hi BitteMT61;

Tough call but I'll give you my take. Of course it's just a personal and subjective opinion.
I'd get the Aero and I'd try to get the A-2 in their heavyweight FQHH. I just like the heft and the way the leather looks when broken in with the grain, creases and the marbling of the color. Some say they won't do the heavy horse in an A-2 but there's at least 1 member that has one, (maybe Gancho (Ollie)). My second choice would be the jerky horsehide. Great looking leather that will get tremendous graining and character although the jacket is quite a bit lighter in weight.

I like LW products but their A-2 in the 4oz. chromed tanned HH justs stays new looking for too long. I had one and I literally had to beat the crap out of it with daily abuse before it got any kind of character to it at all. I have to say though that jacket absorbed everything I could throw at it and always came back for more. Totally indestructable!

Best of luck in your decision making.

Regards, coffee

Wonderful reply, Coffee! Exactly the kind of info I want. I won't have occasion to beat the jacket like you did, so that's a big deal to me. I really think I have to go Aero on this one.
I don't know why Aero wouldn't do FQHH on it - I can see LW saying "no" as they're pretty particular from what I hear. Well, maybe they'd do it for $3000! :)
Thanks again. Opinions are what I asked for, so any are welcomed and appreciated!

Aero has done some of their A2s in what they call 'shaved HH'. It is their FQHH...but in a lighter weight. Looks to be heavier than the 'jerky'..but not super hvy as their normal FQHH. Great thing about it is....it breaks in very similar to the heavier FQHH...with marbling and grain. There was a member here...and also on the VLJ forum that had one. Ya might ask Amanda about it.
My first higher end A2 was a LostWorld's version of the Dubow(purchased from eBay). The finish..and HH is unique to LostWorlds..unlike any of the other Repro companies.
HD

Aero has done some of their A2s in what they call 'shaved HH'. It is their FQHH...but in a lighter weight. Looks to be heavier than the 'jerky'..but not super hvy as their normal FQHH. Great thing about it is....it breaks in very similar to the heavier FQHH...with marbling and grain. There was a member here...and also on the VLJ forum that had one. Ya might ask Amanda about it.
My first higher end A2 was a LostWorld's version of the Dubow(purchased from eBay). The finish..and HH is unique to LostWorlds..unlike any of the other Repro companies.
HD

Thank you sir!
The LW looks great after the break in, but I may not be able to work at out of it here in SoCal.
Thanks for the idea on the Aero HH. I'm kinda sold on this here sample of the FQHH in brown and oil pull. Being a big guy, I want jackets that are heavy and rough.
But point taken and much appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn