Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds A2 jacket weighs 3 lb, is this normal for an A2?

irow

New in Town
I bought a Lost Worlds A2 3oz horsehide jacket on sale. I weighed it with my electronic kitchen scale and it comes to 3.0 pounds. Is that normal? I ask because I tried on a goatskin A2 by Alpha in store and I am certain it weighs a little bit more. I also have some calfskin leather jackets that weigh 1.3 to 1.8 lb more. How much does your A2 weigh and what type of leather and thickness is it?

Also, I am not implying the heavier the jacket the better, I just want to compare jackets, I didn't expect the jacket to weigh 1.3 lb less than a comparable jacket and wondered if that is normal.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I bought a Lost Worlds A2 3oz horsehide jacket on sale. I weighed it with my electronic kitchen scale and it comes to 3.0 pounds. Is that normal? I ask because I tried on a goatskin A2 by Alpha in store and I am certain it weighs a little bit more. I also have some calfskin leather jackets that weigh 1.3 to 1.8 lb more. How much does your A2 weigh and what type of leather and thickness is it?

Also, I am not implying the heavier the jacket the better, I just want to compare jackets, I didn't expect the jacket to weigh 1.3 lb less than a comparable jacket and wondered if that is normal.

Yes, this is normal. My Eastman size 40 steerhide A-2 is roughly 3lb.

saucerfiend

Practically Family

What size is your jacket?

Brian

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes, this is normal. My Eastman size 40 steerhide A-2 is roughly 3lb.
That must be an old one! They haven't made steer jackets for years. I have one and its real thick, just an Eastman house model made years before all those fancy labels they do now. Bought it second hand in Paris about 20 years ago.
JTee

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, not really, their Pearl Harbour and .50Cal jackets are still made with steerhide. Their new slender A-2 is also made from steerhide as well.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Well, not really, their Pearl Harbour and .50Cal jackets are still made with steerhide. Their new slender A-2 is also made from steerhide as well.
Yes that was a bit of a surprise. The reason I thought they had stopped making steer jackets was because they used to give the option of steer or horse facings on B3 and ANJ4 jackets but now it's not there.
My steer jacket is an off the shoulder number that the stitching is slowly unraveling on the whole jacket, the zipper is a sort of bell Talon,not quite WWII shape and the zip tape has a plastic re enforcement at the bottom, and small rin snaps.
EASTY.jpg

Sorry I'm not going to weigh it, since this pic was taken I have cut off the cuffs to be replaced sometime.
Johnny Tee

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Oh, this must be very old. Yes, I remember they offered steer/horse options. But that was a long time ago I guess. As a matter of a fact, even though your Eastman isn't an exact repro, the leather looks really nice!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Oh, this must be very old. Yes, I remember they offered steer/horse options. But that was a long time ago I guess. As a matter of a fact, even though your Eastman isn't an exact repro, the leather looks really nice!
Yes it is really thick, almost as thick as FQHorse.
I would say this one had exceptionally poor quality control, odd stray threads appear from nowhere, I've restitched the pockets, where the wind flap is backed by leather, this has come away from the main jacket and the zip tape at the bottom has come undone.
Not one of Gary's best.
This was originally a russet coloured jacket but I dyed seal with shoe dye in a home spray gun so the two tone shows through. A bit like we used to polish brown Doc Martens with black polish. Looks a lot better in the flesh(hide?)
It has some great patina though and as long as the arms don't drop off I'll keep on wearing it.
Johnny

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Yes it is really thick, almost as thick as FQHorse.
I would say this one had exceptionally poor quality control, odd stray threads appear from nowhere, I've restitched the pockets, where the wind flap is backed by leather, this has come away from the main jacket and the zip tape at the bottom has come undone.
Not one of Gary's best.
This was originally a russet coloured jacket but I dyed seal with shoe dye in a home spray gun so the two tone shows through. A bit like we used to polish brown Doc Martens with black polish. Looks a lot better in the flesh(hide?)
It has some great patina though and as long as the arms don't drop off I'll keep on wearing it.
Johnny

I see, it's a re-dye! Of course. In terms of craftsmanship, I think the Eastman jackets are top notch among the top end jacket makers these days. I guess they are using better threads and sewing machines. The seam lines on the new Eastman jackets are very neat and tight, say, when compared to Aero or Bill Kelso, maybe it's because they use a slightly thinner hide? I am not saying that Aero is sloppy, but in one of my Aero A-2s, the lining seems to be a bit 'loose'.

mihai

A-List Customer
measurements for A2 jackets

I have 2 premium A2 jackets, size 44 US:

- black LW A2 FQHH from 2010 that weighs 4.96 lbs ( about 2.25 kg)
- russet Aero A2 medium steerhide (this one http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1056) that weighs 3.06 pounds (about 1.39 kg).

Aero one is v nice, the nicest colored among my jackets, got lots of compliments on it but I feel it's too light. But that's a matter of personal taste, I like heavy jackets. LW however is a tough one, built like a tank, fits great. However it doesn't stand out like the Aero.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy