Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lots of Glamour Scans, circa 1945

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
From the October 1945 issue of PHOTOPLAY magazine, I present the ladies of The Powder Room with all the FANTASTIC glamour advertisements I found while flipping through this mag! Really, the ads were more exciting than the main movie content! Enjoy!

1945_oct_02_makeup.jpg

1945_oct_11_grable.jpg

1945_oct_12_beauty_tips.jpg

Celebrity Beauty Advice

1945_oct_14_fashions.jpg

1945_oct_15_fashions.jpg

1945_oct_16_fashions.jpg

1945_oct_17_dress.jpg

1945_oct_18_girdle.jpg

1945_oct_19_fashion.jpg

1945_oct_20_revlon.jpg

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Ok, I would sell BOTH of the children for that pink and black dress. My oh MY...(vigorously fanning self) what gorgeousness! Makes you wonder what happened to society that that kind of fashion went away!?

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
these are amazing!

i'll have a proper good eamine over them tomorrow when i'm less sleepy. Those beauty tips are amazing!

do you think that damp sponge over tons of powder trick would actually look good?
and using perfume as an astringent :|

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
WOW! Thank you Amy J!
I never knew how fahsionable braids were and I love that look. I'm gonna start doing that more now!

Nikki

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since you ladies are taking the lovely pink dress, I will take the gorgeous blue dress next to it, plus the fantastic Allura blue coat.:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing!
Vintage Betty

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
RedHotRidinHood said:
Ok, I would sell BOTH of the children for that pink and black dress. My oh MY...(vigorously fanning self) what gorgeousness! Makes you wonder what happened to society that that kind of fashion went away!?

funny, that's pretty much what i said too! GORGEOUS!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Emmababy said:
do you think that damp sponge over tons of powder trick would actually look good?

yes! after i powder my face with a puff, i take a damp cotton square and gently pat it over my face to help get rid of any overly powdery finish. i prefer to use Sea Plasma spray, but water works just fine.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
yes! after i powder my face with a puff, i take a damp cotton square and gently pat it over my face to help get rid of any overly powdery finish. i prefer to use Sea Plasma spray, but water works just fine.

I spritz my face as well with a bit of lavender water; it really does take away the heavily powdered look, and set your makeup.

These are great scans; I love the blue and pink dresses as well. ;) I picked up a lot of Suzette 'Snip-It' slips on eBay some time ago; they are an interesting concept in slips!

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:

reading that back I seem awful rude! it certainly wasn't intended that way, i was merely curious. I still am in fact, i don't understand how powder, which is used to set a (typically) liquid foundation can itself be set with another liquid!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Emmababy said:
reading that back I seem awful rude! it certainly wasn't intended that way, i was merely curious. I still am in fact, i don't understand how powder, which is used to set a (typically) liquid foundation can itself be set with another liquid!

It really softens an overly matte finish, and helps meld each layer of makeup (foundation, blush, powder) together. Also, powder cake foundations were quite popular at that time and are applied with water to start; these can feel very tight when dry, and spritzing with a bit of water takes away this feeling.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I don't use a regular foundation, just powder and a gel blush beneath it. You think the cold water trick would work well for me too even though I'm not using powder blush or liquid foundation?

By the way, love those scans! I've spent hours up in the stacks in my university library looking at 1940's issues of Mademoiselle (which I stumbled upon by accident, what a pleasant surprise), so I just adore these advertisements as well. If only fashion were so exciting today!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
I don't use a regular foundation, just powder and a gel blush beneath it. You think the cold water trick would work well for me too even though I'm not using powder blush or liquid foundation?

By the way, love those scans! I've spent hours up in the stacks in my university library looking at 1940's issues of Mademoiselle (which I stumbled upon by accident, what a pleasant surprise), so I just adore these advertisements as well. If only fashion were so exciting today!

Mademoiselle is one of my favorite magazines. :)

I use the water trick with powder foundation (simply a heavier, more pigmented powder) and it works well.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Like a lot of you -- I LOVE THAT PINK & BLACK DRESS!!! But I see that it only came in sizes 9-13 -- I'm a vintage 16!! No chance in me ever stumbling upon one in a thrift shop that fits :(

I'm glad everyone liked the scans. I know that the 40s are probably the most popular decade here at the Lounge and I just KNEW you gals would appreciate all this 1940s Glamour! *I* was even amazed by it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany