Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lounge member help requested

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Hi All,

I have a request, but it doesn't really fall into the Golden Era. My Great-Great-Grandfather (actually both) fought in the American "War Between the States" or the American "War of Northern Aggression" or the "American Civil War" or by what ever name you want to call it.

I have a picture on him, the one from my mother's side, and I believe he is wearing some civil war reunion metals. I know he was in an Alabama unit during the war. After the war, he moved to Oklahoma. Can anyone identify the reunion metals? Or can someone point me in the right direction to a site or someone who may be able to identify the metals for me?

I posted the two pictures I have of him at Find a Grave where his memorial or grave is at:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=23892108

I would have posted a better picture of the medals, but I just don't have the software or knowledge on my computer for that.

thanks!

SGT Rocket

RBH

Bartender
For some reason nothing shows up now.
I did get a screenshot... maybe it will help.

9kbn.jpg

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Found a brief online regimental history of the 36th Alabama Infantry:

http://www.thebadge.us/civil_war_family/36th-alabama-infantry-confederate.html

As an aside: a couple of my ancestors were with the 82nd Illinois Infantry. They were on the other side at Resaca and Atlanta. The 82nd was primarily a German American regiment that started out with the Army of the Potomac. Then after getting walloped at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg (part of the 11th Corps-- the "Flying Dutch Corps") they ended up in the Western theater: Missionary Ridge, the Atlanta Campaign, and then Sherman's March to the Sea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot