Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Yep, Penni's still a spoiled sausage!
FdAm3Op.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I didn't want a dog.

Mrs Marlowe wanted a dog.

So we compromised. We got a dog.

Specifically, we got a Mimi. An excitable, eccentric little cockapoo with boundless energy and an insane amount of love. Mimi loved people - hard to fathom, given how badly she'd been treated. She didn't come to us as a pup, but as a(n estimated) nine year old, rescued from the streets in Romania. She was actually found sheltering on a building site (for the rest of her life, she adored builders, associating them doubtless with the people who fed her in those tough times). The vets at the rescue reckoned she'd had two litters of puppies, as she'd been abandoned unspayed on the street. We'll never really know the full story, but as she had epilepsy and a heart murmur, it seems most likely she was intended for breeding. She was a beautiful girl ,and a rarer colour. The probability is the puppies she had on the street either didn't make it to term or didn't survive long in those circumstances. We were told she came running to the rescuers - knowing her, she'd not have left live puppies. Efforts were made, no signs of any were found. She had milk when she was rescued.... the rescue also had a litter of abandoned kittens. Mimi fed those kittens with her milk.

After two attempts to rehome her fell through (one because she was considered "too clingy", another because she had a seizure in front of their kids (they'd taken her on knowing she was epileptic), she came to us on the 17th January, 2020. Right before lockdown. Mimi instantly adored Greta Cat, who was still with us at the time. Greta responded by hiding under the bed for two days, only coming out at night to eat, and glaring the glare of the betrayed at her Big Cat and Not The Big Cat for bringing in this interloper. After two days, She cam and sat, glaring at Mimi. Mimi came to us with two little toys which were the only thing she had in the world that were hers at that point. One of them was a ball she clearly adored. She took that ball over to Greta, set it on the floor in front of her,. and took a step back - 'here, this really is awfully fun: you can play with it too if you like. The cat - my spoiled baby from the day she arrived with me (with her litter sister Marlene) at seven and a half weeks old until the days she died, just a matter of months after her fourteenth birthday - hissed at Mimi, because Greta was an ass. It was, of course, much of her charm.

Mimi made everyone love her. Even that cat deigned to share my knee with her in the end, and Mimi was there with us when Greta died in my arms in June 2022 (on the opening day of Big LIz's jubilee - Greta was one to upstage anybody). Mimi was a huge comfort thereafter. It's amazing how a little fluffball so demonstratively full of love can make a difference to even the worst of days. I Don't know what we'll do without her. It's all so raw and terrible right now. She'd had a couple of seizures over last night - a fairly normal cluster - but this time, it was just finally too much for her. She's finished a final seizure, which had woken me, and she'd gone to sleep again, as had I at about a quarter to seven. I woke again at eight to get up, and as ever reached over to fuss her: she tended to wait for me to get up before she leapt on to the floor to run up the hall and wait to take her tablets (she was the Best Girl at taking her medication). This morning, she didn't stir. She was still warm when I realised she was gone.

Needless to say we are both utterly heartbroken. That's the rubbish thing about living with shorter-lived species than us: inevitably their time comes sooner. We had four years with Mimi. It just wasn't enough. How could it ever be? Still, I cling to the knowledge that for her it was twenty years, thereabouts. She had a lovely last couple of doggy decades, and a very happy life. Quality, not quantity.

I didn't want a dog. I couldn't have loved that dog more.

Goodnight, my sweet little pal. In hope somewhere you're running around loving Greta Cat again, while she pretends to be annoyed by it.

Mimi Marlowe c.2010-2024. Loving and loved forever.

The Last Walk:

1708086986112.jpeg

1708087102723.jpeg

The one from the North

One of the Regulars
I didn't want a dog.

Specifically, we got a Mimi. An excitable, eccentric little cockapoo with boundless energy and an insane amount of love. Mimi loved people - hard to fathom, given how badly she'd been treated. She didn't come to us as a pup, but as a(n estimated) nine year old, rescued from the streets in Romania. She was actually found sheltering on a building site (for the rest of her life, she adored builders, associating them doubtless with the people who fed her in those tough times). The vets at the rescue reckoned she'd had two litters of puppies, as she'd been abandoned unspayed on the street. We'll never really know the full story, but as she had epilepsy and a heart murmur, it seems most likely she was intended for breeding. She was a beautiful girl ,and a rarer colour. The probability is the puppies she had on the street either didn't make it to term or didn't survive long in those circumstances. We were told she came running to the rescuers - knowing her, she'd not have left live puppies. Efforts were made, no signs of any were found. She had milk when she was rescued.... the rescue also had a litter of abandoned kittens. Mimi fed those kittens with her milk.

After two attempts to rehome her fell through (one because she was considered "too clingy", another because she had a seizure in front of their kids (they'd taken her on knowing she was epileptic), she came to us on the 17th January, 2020. Right before lockdown. Mimi instantly adored Greta Cat, who was still with us at the time. Greta responded by hiding under the bed for two days, only coming out at night to eat, and glaring the glare of the betrayed at her Big Cat and Not The Big Cat for bringing in this interloper. After two days, She cam and sat, glaring at Mimi. Mimi came to us with two little toys which were the only thing she had in the world that were hers at that point. One of them was a ball she clearly adored. She took that ball over to Greta, set it on the floor in front of her,. and took a step back - 'here, this really is awfully fun: you can play with it too if you like. The cat - my spoiled baby from the day she arrived with me (with her litter sister Marlene) at seven and a half weeks old until the days she died, just a matter of months after her fourteenth birthday - hissed at Mimi, because Greta was an ass. It was, of course, much of her charm.

Mimi made everyone love her. Even that cat deigned to share my knee with her in the end, and Mimi was there with us when Greta died in my arms in June 2022 (on the opening day of Big LIz's jubilee - Greta was one to upstage anybody). Mimi was a huge comfort thereafter. It's amazing how a little fluffball so demonstratively full of love can make a difference to even the worst of days. I Don't know what we'll do without her. It's all so raw and terrible right now. She'd had a couple of seizures over last night - a fairly normal cluster - but this time, it was just finally too much for her. She's finished a final seizure, which had woken me, and she'd gone to sleep again, as had I at about a quarter to seven. I woke again at eight to get up, and as ever reached over to fuss her: she tended to wait for me to get up before she leapt on to the floor to run up the hall and wait to take her tablets (she was the Best Girl at taking her medication). This morning, she didn't stir. She was still warm when I realised she was gone.

Needless to say we are both utterly heartbroken. That's the rubbish thing about living with shorter-lived species than us: inevitably their time comes sooner. We had four years with Mimi. It just wasn't enough. How could it ever be? Still, I cling to the knowledge that for her it was twenty years, thereabouts. She had a lovely last couple of doggy decades, and a very happy life. Quality, not quantity.

Goodnight, my sweet little pal. In hope somewhere you're running around loving Greta Cat again, while she pretends to be annoyed by it.

The Last Walk:

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968
Very sorry for your loss. It's unbelievable how much joy our furry friends bring...

I didn't want a dog.

The Last Walk:

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968
I am sorry for the loss of your sweet wonderful friend. We may call them rescues…. But so often they save us right back.

I didn't want a dog.

The Last Walk:

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968
Very touching eulogy to Mimi, Edward. May your hurt soon turn to fond memories. My condolences on the loss of such a fine companion.

I didn't want a dog.

The Last Walk:

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968

I am so sorry for you and Mrs. Edward. It sounds like you were the answer she needed to her needs, and she yours (even if you didn't know it right away).

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I didn't want a dog.

The Last Walk:

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968

Very sorry to hear of your companion’s loss. We lost our 14-year-old beagle a year ago, and I still miss her terribly. I truly feel your pain, but how fortunate we are to be able to share the pure love of our animal friends for the time we have with them!

I didn't want a dog.

The Last Walk:

View attachment 590967

View attachment 590968
So terribly sorry, Edward.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, everyone. We knew when we took Mimi on that she wouldn't have too many years with us, with her age and the medical complications of her epilepsy and heart murmur, but it was still a real shock. Still, she went peacefully in her sleep, in a warm bed where she was never hungry or cold and she was so loved. Given she'd already cheated the odds by surviving unspayed and unmedicated for several years on the street where she could have died cold, hungry, alone and in pain, I think we can at least count that as a win. It's the smalls things like that that are a comfort right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner