Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Edward

Bartender
I'm so sorry to learn of your loss Edward. Been there, done that a number of times over the years, and it never gets easier. But, eventually, thoughts of Mimi will bring happy memories and smiles. Just takes time.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Yes, alas - there's no shortcut through the grief. There will be fewer tears today (hopefully none of them in front of my class.... Friday was a different story, but I had to take an undergraduate tutorial two hours after Mimi died. I did explain I was not likely to be at my best for that reason - they were actually really sweet about it all, one of them later sent me a lovely message via email), and then tomorrow... and on we go. We're very blessed we had as many as four years with her, all things told, and we at least know she had a great last few years. That little lady had a hellish life before she was rescued, so to be able to see her to the end of her journey on this side and make sure she was never cold, never hungry, and always loved was such a privilege.

Edward

Bartender
My girlfriend's mother's 85 pound dog and 6 pound cat disproving the "fight like cats and dogs" myth. They are thick as thieves.
View attachment 591873 View attachment 591874

By the by, you don't happen to know when she got them? I've been told it is easier to introduce kittens into a house where there's already a dog than a dog or a puppy to established cats, owing to cats being territorial whereas dogs are pack animals...

By the by, you don't happen to know when she got them? I've been told it is easier to introduce kittens into a house where there's already a dog than a dog or a puppy to established cats, owing to cats being territorial whereas dogs are pack animals...

You are spot on. Tug, the dog, was already living there for years when, Aria, the cat (a rescue kitten) came to live. We laugh as Aria, so far, is very dog/pack like.

Edward

Bartender
Well, while noone will ever replace our beloved Mimi Dog, since she went onto the final great adventure we do now have a space to offer a good home to another little life that needs it. Bertrand Russell Marlowe - Bertie - will be joining us on 16th March (exactly one month after Mimi passed, by coincidence).

1709548864773.png

Bertie is a Jack Russell cross -we say 'cross', no-one has any idea what his dad was. Unlikely to be a big dog, as his mum is definitely a Jack Russell.... We did decide that one of Mimi's legacies would be that all our future dogs would be rescues. Bertie's mum is now a permanent resident of a canine sanctuary where dogs who cannot be rehomed because they have very complicated but manageable health conditions, or a history of biting, or otherwise can still enjoy happy lives for as long as they are able. When she arrived she was found to be pregnant, so her puppies were carried to term and once weaned fostered out. Bertie has been fostered alongside children and cats; we don't (and won't!) have children, but there are a lot of kids locally (Mimi adored being petted by them), and we hope in time to have cats again, so this helps make him a great fit for us. We're looking forward to bringing him home and the beginning of our next doggy adventure.

Well, while noone will ever replace our beloved Mimi Dog, since she went onto the final great adventure we do now have a space to offer a good home to another little life that needs it. Bertrand Russell Marlowe - Bertie - will be joining us on 16th March (exactly one month after Mimi passed, by coincidence).

View attachment 596583

Bertie is a Jack Russell cross -we say 'cross', no-one has any idea what his dad was. Unlikely to be a big dog, as his mum is definitely a Jack Russell.... We did decide that one of Mimi's legacies would be that all our future dogs would be rescues. Bertie's mum is now a permanent resident of a canine sanctuary where dogs who cannot be rehomed because they have very complicated but manageable health conditions, or a history of biting, or otherwise can still enjoy happy lives for as long as they are able. When she arrived she was found to be pregnant, so her puppies were carried to term and once weaned fostered out. Bertie has been fostered alongside children and cats; we don't (and won't!) have children, but there are a lot of kids locally (Mimi adored being petted by them), and we hope in time to have cats again, so this helps make him a great fit for us. We're looking forward to bringing him home and the beginning of our next doggy adventure.
I hope he brings lots of love to your household

Edward

Bartender
May I introduce Onni (~Lucky). After we lost our old lady in October, our younger dog, her son, seemed a little lonely. So yesterday Onni joined team. He's 8 years old, born in Serbia, came from Hungary, so a rescue. And yes, he does look a lot like his new mate Into, only smaller! :) View attachment 597519

He looks like great fun! Our Mimi was Romanian, and if she was anything at all to go by I can only recommend an Eastern European rescue dog. Hope they have tons of fun together!

Edward

Bartender
20240318_081431.jpg
20240316_183913.jpg
20240316_173748.jpg

Bertie has been with us a week now, and is proving to be a delightful little man. He barks a lot at other dogs as he is still finding his feet, bur he's a joy. It's been an easier experience than Mimi was for the first couple of months as ge doesn't have any street trauma. Turns out, though, that his mum is Romanian, so it's nice to have thst link still too.

The one from the North

One of the Regulars
View attachment 601679 View attachment 601680 View attachment 601681

Bertie has been with us a week now, and is proving to be a delightful little man. He barks a lot at other dogs as he is still finding his feet, bur he's a joy. It's been an easier experience than Mimi was for the first couple of months as ge doesn't have any street trauma. Turns out, though, that his mum is Romanian, so it's nice to have thst link still too.
He's a charmer! :)

Edward

Bartender

What a cutie! Mimi used to do this sort of thing with me - particularly if she wanted my attention at the table, she'd rest her chin on my thigh, and then gradually press on it more and more firmly if she thought she wasn't getting my attention.

He's a charmer! :)

He's a good looking pup!

He's very definitely a handsome little man, and I think he knows it! There's a lot we can see in his differences with Mimi that show the advantage he had by never being on the street, including he's less desperate for the attention of every human he sees. He's a full on little cuddle bunny with us, though. Runs to the sofa, leaps on and throws himself on his back for belly rubs. Took Mimi, cuddly as she always was, two years to be vulnerable with us like that. I don't regret anything with Mimi for a second, but it's also nice that Bertie is easier without her traumas. I think we needed that this time round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner