Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Miss Brill

One Too Many
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know how to break a puppy from clawing at your face???? My guy, 6 m/o, has started doing this thing where he reaches out & paws my face when he gets near me. He just now scratched me from under my eye almost down to my jawline (just missed getting in my eye), and yesterday he pawed me down my forehead and all the way down my nose--I have a big scabby scratch from that. I don't know what to do. :(

ETA: If I see them coming, I grab his feet & tell him no, but sometimes he surprises me. He doesn't mean any harm, so I hate to yell at him...

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
(Cross posted from the hat thread)
I had a long dentist appointment today, so I decided to not wear a hat. However, another member of my family decided to be festive and wear a hat instead!

robbie1_103107.JPG

robbie2_103107.JPG

Vintage Betty

Miss Brill said:
Anyone know how to break a puppy from clawing at your face???? My guy, 6 m/o, has started doing this thing where he reaches out & paws my face when he gets near me. He just now scratched me from under my eye almost down to my jawline (just missed getting in my eye), and yesterday he pawed me down my forehead and all the way down my nose--I have a big scabby scratch from that. I don't know what to do. :(

ETA: If I see them coming, I grab his feet & tell him no, but sometimes he surprises me. He doesn't mean any harm, so I hate to yell at him...

Ok, so what I do is this:

Get a leash and attach it to his neck when you are home. I've always attached a standard leash, but some people cut the leash to 2 feet or so.

When he starts doing a behavior you don't like, grab the leash and yank it down to the ground. Say "NO" in a loud voice. If the behavior continues, put the leash under your foot and hold it there for a short period of time.

I have had a full grown german shepherd-lab mix dumped at our house that was abused. She was 100 pounds or so, and never trained. It was terrible. She stole food off the table, put her head on our kitchen table, tried to eat off my plate, jumped on me during meals...you get the idea. She wouldn't sit still for a meal we ate.

Anyway, my husband went away for a week, and I trained her using this method. I ate three meals at home for 1 week. That's 21 times I trained her using this method in one week. I came home for lunch, sat down to eat, and calmly put her leash under my foot, forcing her to the ground in a DOWN position. Each day I increased the time I did this, and praised/rewarded her. By mid-week, she was trained. By the end of the week, I could get her in a "DOWN" position for the meal without the leash. My husband was stunned. :D

Hope this helps.

Vintage Betty

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
soon to get a TeaCup Poodle...*siiiiiigh* just what we need, a yip yip toy dog...but she's a cutie and ill post pics when we get her...she is pitch black like a piece of coal and only about a month old...

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Sam_Marlow_PI said:
soon to get a TeaCup Poodle...*siiiiiigh* just what we need, a yip yip toy dog...but she's a cutie and ill post pics when we get her...she is pitch black like a piece of coal and only about a month old...

Poodle's are great dogs in the repect that they don't have any health problems inherrent to their breed and they live long lives, hence the recent trend to breed poodles with other breeds. We had a poodle mutt puppy from the shelter who lived to be 18 years old! We got him when I was 5 and he passed away when I was 23.

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
This is Kittie, my favorite part about her is her ears so I need to find another picture! She is a border collie mutt and she was a rescue dog, she was chained to a pole at a friends baseball tournament for 2 weeks straight, the second week we brought her over to sit with us and nobody stopped us. I figure her owners didn't want her anymore and they left her around where a lot of people would be hoping people would feed her. She was obviously abused and can't take being in trouble, she's scared of really weird things including guitars, any kind of braclet or anything on your wrist like hairtyes or rubberbands, and if anyone comes near my bedroom door at night she FLIPS out. I make her wear a hoodie because every 3 months she loses her fur on her sides, the vet doesn't know why, but she LOOOOVES to get dressed up.
kittie2.jpg

This is my cat, Leloo, and rat, Scabbers. I had to put Scabbers down the next day but her and Leloo loved each other and played together.
untitled7.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Cats and Dogs and Kittens and such.

Here are some of the owners of the Carter household,

Belle
1819303112_ba60d8369f.jpg

Scooter, aka The Taco Bandit, and Egg
1818430535_11dc99a9f5.jpg

Winkin'
1819291638_2a02b22ca8.jpg

Winkin', Blinkin', & Egg
1818442457_e264620d39.jpg

Winkin', Blinkin', & Nod
1819306988_2aa10006f0.jpg

Winkin', Blinkin', Nod, & Egg
1819300876_be5c54c104.jpg

Anyone lookin' for a kitten(s)? :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Bart and Blanca

Here are two of the dogs. As you can see, both of them are camera-shy.

Bart, a rescue dog from Bartelesville, OK. An Aussie/German Shepherd mix.
1819294496_7430fe016e.jpg

Blanca, the last of a litter from Dallas. She's part Catahoula and part Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
1818454311_03b89335aa.jpg

together
1819309270_69cac7786b.jpg

Woland

One of the Regulars
Izabella...

IMG_0165.jpg

Izabella is a Tetraodon nigroviridis, also called a Green Spotted Puffer.
I have been her personal assistant for the last 4 years.

Not so cuddly though...

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
Jovan said:
Does it ever get confusing, calling a dog Kittie? She should be a model for American Apparel... ;)

ugh god yes! We have three cats total in our house...I always say three cats and a Kittie :) I still have problems screaming Kittie when I take her to the bark park.

I'm pretty sure she is more attractive then most of the models in their ads.

Miss_Bella_Hell

griffer said:
They are soft, and yes, quite a bit like a horses nose!

Our black boy sphynx Harold is a bit thicker skinned and not as soft as my Josephine, but they are both very pettable and snuggly!

Josephine is soft like butter, like one of my wife's leather coats, Harolds is soft like one of my leathers...if that makes any kind of sense.

I didn't take a shine to them until I held one at a Cat show. Yes, I went to a cat show. Then I couldn't put them down and decided to buy one for my wife immediately.

Any allergens? I'd love a kitty but dander makes me wheeze.

deelovely

Practically Family
carter said:
Here are some of the owners of the Carter household,
Belle
1819303112_ba60d8369f.jpg

Scooter, aka The Taco Bandit, and Egg
1818430535_11dc99a9f5.jpg

Winkin'
1819291638_2a02b22ca8.jpg

Winkin', Blinkin', & Egg
1818442457_e264620d39.jpg