Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lowering the Crown on Hats

vintage68

Practically Family
I was curious, is it possible to lower the crown height on a preexisting 100% beaver felt hat, one that I have had for several years? The height has always bothered me and I'd like it lowered about an inch.

I'm not thinking of doing this personally, but I was wondering if this is a service that a hatmaker might offer and if anyone has had this service performed.

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Are you asking about changing the crease? Or are you asking about removing the sweatband and actually re blocking the hat in such a way that the crown is lower when open?

Recreasing a good quality hat is generally a simple matter (and can be done at home). Actually rebuilding the hat from the ground up is a major undertaking.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Madness!

I'd say talk to one of our hatters on the forum like Graham Thompson at Optimo or Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouettes.

It would either need to be shrunk or lopped off and sewn back on in order to be shortened while open.

Last edited:

vintage68

Practically Family
Yeah, I know, and I haven't even started drinking! LOL. Still, it's not a vintage hat or anything, I haven't completely lost my mind. It's a western hat I've had for several years, and the height has always bugged me, so I thought I might look into having it done by a professional.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Why don't you just recrease it with a lower crown?
Wet the hat down good and shape away.

Check the Roy Rogers video on Youtube. It shows you how to mold a western hat into about anything.

Sam

scooter

Practically Family
It is not difficult, many of us have done out own hats. Sometimes the same hat over and over till we got it right. you simply suffer from fear of the unknown. Try it, if it doesn't work out, you can always send it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot