Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LW Downtown or Aero HB Deluxe?

SFGII

New in Town
I've never owned a premium leather or HH jacket the likes of LW, Aero, GW, SB, Himel, etc. The first one I ordered is a LW Buco Rider which I've yet to receive. It's not very practical since I don't ride but it's just so damn sexy.

There are now a dozen others I'd like to have and I'm contemplating which will be next.

A black LW HH Downtown is classy, timeless and so New York.

A dark seal Vicenza HB Deluxe with dark brown shearling lining and brown mouton collar is also money. My only reservation about this one is that it may be too warm to wear in NY more than a few months a year.

Decisions, decisions...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Why not order an Aero dark seal Vicenza HB Deluxe with moleskin body shell lining and cotton drill sleeves with standard leather collar that would allow you to layer underneath, thus giving you better flexibility? Or substitute an Aero Teamster for the HB Deluxe as the Teamster is more similar to the LW Downtown.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Yeh, depends what kind of leather you like. LW leather is super heavy but not as nice to look at as most of the Aero stuff. Also, if you go for a dark seal HB, consider a golden mouton collar instead of a brown one. The combo looks amazing.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SFGil,
Since you already have a Lost Workds on the way, why not try Aero this time out? I highly recommend Thurston Brothers and the "fit jacket" process they offer to help get your Aero perfectly sized.
The HB deluxe you described sounds like an awesome jacket but I agree that it would probably be too warm to wear most of the time. I would go with a lighter lining on this one, there is a Harris Tweed lining that I have seen in a couple new Aero's that is quite lovely and quite warm as well.
Contemplating your second jacket before the first one has even arrived is a sure sign that you have caught the bug, welcome to the lounge!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
SFGil,
Since you already have a Lost Workds on the way, why not try Aero this time out? I highly recommend Thurston Brothers and the "fit jacket" process they offer to help get your Aero perfectly sized.
The HB deluxe you described sounds like an awesome jacket but I agree that it would probably be too warm to wear most of the time. I would go with a lighter lining on this one, there is a Harris Tweed lining that I have seen in a couple new Aero's that is quite lovely and quite warm as well.
Contemplating your second jacket before the first one has even arrived is a sure sign that you have caught the bug, welcome to the lounge!
Good point going through Thurston Bros to nail down the fit. Also concur with not going with too heavy of a lining, and IMHO Harris Tweed is plenty heavy for cold weather. I'm not too much enamored with a mouton collar unless on a USN G-1, just my preference (or bias).

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
SFGil,
Since you already have a Lost Workds on the way, why not--

WAIT until you have received the first jacket before you order your next. You will learn from the first one. Give it time to wear it a while and see how the break-in period is like, how the fit and feel of the jacket changes. You'll almost certainly change your mind about the specifics of what you order for the next one after a few weeks in the first one. Besides, you really need to wear the first one a whole bunch, especially if it's a LW jacket.

SFGII

New in Town
Thanks for the comments. I will definitely go through Thurston Bros for fit. I actually called and spoke with Carrie before I ordered the LW.

If I go for a less extreme weather jacket I'm more partial to a Bootlegger in cordovan or brown FQHH/ olive or blue sateen lining, zip sleeves and pockets and leather pulls all around. I would also omit the button for a cleaner look at the lapel.

The problem is too many good options to choose from.

SFGII

New in Town
WAIT until you have received the first jacket before you order your next. You will learn from the first one. Give it time to wear it a while and see how the break-in period is like, how the fit and feel of the jacket changes. You'll almost certainly change your mind about the specifics of what you order for the next one after a few weeks in the first one. Besides, you really need to wear the first one a whole bunch, especially if it's a LW jacket.
Sage advice @Guppy, I agree. Thanks.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a spoil sport!
To be honest though, I think your advice is spot on. I came out of the gate hot myself in the beginning and ordered three jackets before the first one had arrived. None of them are jackets I wear today and I think there is something to be said for learning from each jacket and also taking some time to enjoy them individually when they arrive.
The Bootlegger would make a splendid second jacket and Carrie will still be there to help you out when the time is right.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

This is well said and something it took me a while to comprehend fully as well. Just also understand if you have come from a line of "mall jackets" and lambskin/mass produced products these are a whole different ball game - for the better.

Someone above mentioned Veggie Tanned leather vs. Chrome Tanned. Since I have a LW Easy Rider, I suppose that means I have both types of horsehide, however I would still not claim to be any sort of expert on it. I was reading about the LW J23 last night on thier site and one comment caused me to research the differances between the two leather tanning types. I'll hijack this thread long enough to share the article I read, (not making any statements about which type I prefer) and encourage you all to give this a read.

http://www.carryology.com/insights/chrome-vs-vegetable-tanned-leather/

Then look up Horween's own site (which has a mini tour of thier factory included) and see what they say about leather types:
https://www.horween.com/
The photos and info about thier processes are well worth a good look indeed.

So to our OP - welcome!! Hope that didn't just confuse you more. Study, research and ask a lot of questions, you'll learn a lot here. That said, consider this your fair warning that you may well end up like a lot of us, under a slight addiction to hand-made, heirloom quality leathers that most folks around you just can't understand. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff