Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lysol ... where?!

doghouse

One of the Regulars
LysolHarmony.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
That would buuuuurrrrrrrrrn.

Seriously what an awful use. I wouldn't even use Lysol on my hands, its so strong.:eek: :eek: :(

Viola

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I had my facts-of-life talk with my mother way back eons ago, she mentioned that *her* mother had used Lysol -- in a much-diluted solution for "hygenic purposes." What was explained to me, and what they *aren't* saying in the ad, though, is that the ladies of the era were using it primarily as a birth control product. (The unanticipated birth of my uncle was offered as evidence that it wasn't particularly effective...)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lizzie, that is so scary to know. It just goes to show you what amazing strides have been made in the field of science. What would these woman think of the skull and crossbones that is now in place on this product. Wonder if they would be worried, or just chalk it up to silly science and keep on using it.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen this before. I just like the whole implication "Ladies, men hate your stench. Burn the top layer of skin off your nether regions!"

"thanks Lysol!"

Rosie

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I've seen this before. I just like the whole implication "Ladies, men hate your stench. Burn the top layer of skin off your nether regions!"

"thanks Lysol!"
lol

This is crazy! I read a book on female fertility where they spoke about the things women used on themselves. It's nuts. Poor women.

Elaina

One Too Many
Don't forget it hasn't been that long since they decided douching isn't considered medically necessary either.

Lysol...uhm. Uh. Ew. I can't stand the smell, I can't imagine why on Earth I should put it near my unmentionable parts. (Hey isn't that what Coco Chanel said no. 5 was for? Anywhere you wanna be kissed? :D )

Elaina

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Elaina said:
Don't forget it hasn't been that long since they decided douching isn't considered medically necessary either.

Lysol...uhm. Uh. Ew. I can't stand the smell, I can't imagine why on Earth I should put it near my unmentionable parts. (Hey isn't that what Coco Chanel said no. 5 was for? Anywhere you wanna be kissed? :D )

Elaina
That reminds me of when I was a teenager and I was imitating the Jean Nate commercial where she splashed it all over herself, and some of it landed "there" and the burn from that will never be forgotten.:eek:

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
OMG! I have a similar ad from a vintage magazine....and I could not believe a few things...first off the horror of the words on the page...second the absolute shame shown in the photo, & third lysol's use.

At first I laughed and laughed while I read it out loud to my husband, and then I thought "My gosh!" I can't believe they would publish something like this. It was really horrible. The photo had a husband looking out of the window in pain, and the woman was sitting down crying.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Good Lord. I agree, I'll never be able to look at a bottle of lysol the same way again. I can't even imagine! This persisted through the seventies though. I found a huge stack of patterns at the flea market on saturday (from the 40's - 80's -got the whole box for $5!!) Alot of the patterns came in magazines and I was flipping through them. I found a lot of these types of ads up through the seventies...it's frightening what women used to do...
Nash

wibblebird

New in Town
I got upset for similar reasons at a tide commercial yesterday. Tide with Febreeze...the difference between smelling like a Mom, and smelling like a woman!

Ack. I have an 8-month-old. But I don't think he's added any kind of Mom-stink to me! Sure, I occasionally have some spit-up on my shoulder. But if it stinks I know to change my shirt!

Elaina

One Too Many
LOL, you do get a smell associated with Mom's...for me after a day it's little boy stink. Run outside and play, come in and hug mom. Go back out and play, come in and hug mom. Sit, cuddle with mom. Leave stinkiness behind.

BUT, if you shower, change your clothes every day and take moderate care of yourself (for me even when I can barely get out of bed, I STILL wear perfume) you can avoid it. How many mothers do you see every day who don't do that?

And I for one do not like the smell of Febreeze. I use it sparingly because it can weaken fibre content, but I have the giant cat who doesn't go outside so I do use it because I'm allergic to cats.

Elaina

Foofoogal

Banned
Ouch. One time I actually talked to a lady and she had got pregnant and couldn't believe it. Her form of birth control was actually douching with ice water. I was crying laughing so hard and asked her didn't she know they freeze those little fishes and it still doesn't kill them. :eusa_doh: lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Those old ads crack me up!

I have a ton of WWII-dated women's magazines, and quite a few of them feature the "Lysol for feminine hygiene" ads. The first time I read one, I totally freaked out.

That's one golden era trick I am NOT trying. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner