Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Smoking ribs on the grill this evening. Waiting gave me time to get a Gannon Family pics.

(R-L: charcoal, silvermist, moss green and silver belly)

i-MsP5fxP-M.jpg

i-KKxPFLB-M.jpg

i-FxwQkrd-M.jpg

Enjoy your Sunday evening, Eric -

Wow! You are a lucky man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Smoking ribs on the grill this evening. Waiting gave me time to get a Gannon Family pics.

(R-L: charcoal, silvermist, moss green and silver belly)

i-MsP5fxP-M.jpg

i-KKxPFLB-M.jpg

i-FxwQkrd-M.jpg

Enjoy your Sunday evening, Eric -
Eric: They are all terrific! But with an eye focussing on my next purchase, I'm especially intrigued with the Silvermist. Am I correct to assume that this is the "new" Silvermist, since it has a disctinctively blue tint? It has a nice summertime look to it; and I really like the wide ribbon (looks like 1 3/4" or thereabouts). Personally, I like either a thin ribbon or a substantially wide one; and it seems that Michael is usaully in short supply of anything wider than 1 1/2". At any rate, I am seriously considering ordering a clone, and I'd appreciate any comments on how you like the hat, and how true the colors are in your photo to reality.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Sir; Tough question as it is so much personal taste. I do love the black cherry felt. I would hasten you to also consider the beaver blue smoke. The bluemist is very versatile. Do go and check out Rabbit's color posts on the Fawcett thread it is an excellent reference.

Quick pic of blue smoke:

i-847Kxfv-M.jpg

i-WjKHjZ7-M.jpg

i-S8xPtQj-M.jpg

Best in your hunt Bruno, Eric -

Eric (or @Short Balding Guy), I've been searching for the perfect gray felt for a very long time, and your blue smoke lid appears to fit the bill. How "blue" is it actually in person, say, compared to your silvermist Gannon? These things are near impossible to photograph — and I'm a photog!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Eric (or @Short Balding Guy), I've been searching for the perfect gray felt for a very long time, and your blue smoke lid appears to fit the bill. How "blue" is it actually in person, say, compared to your silvermist Gannon? These things are near impossible to photograph — and I'm a photog!

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vs-felt-color-comparison.79154/

On the VS thread Rabbit spent many posts describing the colors in words. A difficult task, but very well done.

Check out the above link. The bluemist can pair with blue and light/medium gray well. Silvermist is bright silver-ish with hints of gray. Neither is on the warm color side, IMO.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Eric: They are all terrific! But with an eye focussing on my next purchase, I'm especially intrigued with the Silvermist. Am I correct to assume that this is the "new" Silvermist, since it has a disctinctively blue tint? It has a nice summertime look to it; and I really like the wide ribbon (looks like 1 3/4" or thereabouts). Personally, I like either a thin ribbon or a substantially wide one; and it seems that Michael is usaully in short supply of anything wider than 1 1/2". At any rate, I am seriously considering ordering a clone, and I'd appreciate any comments on how you like the hat, and how true the colors are in your photo to reality.

Michael Gannon worked hard to thin/pounce the hat. With all artisan craftsmen, the variances provide the touches I appreciate. My silver mist is no exception. It is as thin as can be made and still have a reasonable compromise between holding shape and being malleable. The dress weight silver mist I do not have a history with. I have 2 "light-weight" ones. I do like the color. Personal preference. The most versatile colors I have is the dove and then silver belly. Read the Art Fawcett thread contributions of Rabbit and you will get his experience with a bigger selection of felts.

Ribbon size, yes I feel more comfy wearing a smaller ribbon. My Minnesota/midwestern USA understated nature likes the moderate and thin ribbons. Stetson advertised them in the 40-50's as a way to cross between downtown and country. My lifestyle and life outlook better put me in this camp. I really like pairing with silver belly ribbon on the most recent fedora posted on this thread. Excellent inconspicuous pairing. I would even consider the silver mist with a charcoal mid ribbon. By all means ask for a wind cord. I do like the eye appeal of he cord and its use near our lake is practical.

Maybe we should source some ribbons for him? In any case as each bespoke craftsman grows and better serves their clients both learn of the limits of possibilities. I have come to accept what is available as a limit and work to maximize the outcome. As an everyday athletic coach, seeing possibility, potential improvement while accepting todays maximum with its limits is my daily axiom. Unfortunately I apply it to possibly too much of life-like bespoke hats.

I hope I helped. Best, Eric-

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

I replied quickly and could not as thorough as I wish. I have to prepare for guests arriving this afternoon. I was not able to "google" up the original VS thread with postings of I believe around Dec./Jan. 2012 by Rabbit that had the pics of the brims and colors close up. Those pics are very defining for me. Perhaps you can source those or others could.

Enjoy the Memorial Day festivities. Eric-

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Michael Gannon worked hard to thin/pounce the hat. With all artisan craftsmen, the variances provide the touches I appreciate. My silver mist is no exception. It is as thin as can be made and still have a reasonable compromise between holding shape and being malleable. The dress weight silver mist I do not have a history with. I have 2 "light-weight" ones. I do like the color. Personal preference. The most versatile colors I have is the dove and then silver belly. Read the Art Fawcett thread contributions of Rabbit and you will get his experience with a bigger selection of felts.

Ribbon size, yes I feel more comfy wearing a smaller ribbon. My Minnesota/midwestern USA understated nature likes the moderate and thin ribbons. Stetson advertised them in the 40-50's as a way to cross between downtown and country. My lifestyle and life outlook better put me in this camp. I really like pairing with silver belly ribbon on the most recent fedora posted on this thread. Excellent inconspicuous pairing. I would even consider the silver mist with a charcoal mid ribbon. By all means ask for a wind cord. I do like the eye appeal of he cord and its use near our lake is practical.

Maybe we should source some ribbons for him? In any case as each bespoke craftsman grows and better serves their clients both learn of the limits of possibilities. I have come to accept what is available as a limit and work to maximize the outcome. As an everyday athletic coach, seeing possibility, potential improvement while accepting todays maximum with its limits is my daily axiom. Unfortunately I apply it to possibly too much of life-like bespoke hats.

I hope I helped. Best, Eric-
Eric:

Thanks for your informative reply. I'm sure other members here will also benefit from you assessments. I'll need to mull over some of your points, do some more research, and discucc the matter further with Michael before deciding what my next Gannon will be.

Best Regards, Charles

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vs-felt-color-comparison.79154/

On the VS thread Rabbit spent many posts describing the colors in words. A difficult task, but very well done.

Check out the above link. The bluemist can pair with blue and light/medium gray well. Silvermist is bright silver-ish with hints of gray. Neither is on the warm color side, IMO.

Thanks Eric , That's what I looked at in choosing the color/colors for my Hats from Michael . Fur Felt Hat Body sample swatches in pictures just can't show the true color of the finished Hat . I hope my choices were good ones , but I want to order another one or two (its an addiction) , but I'll wait until I receive my first two , so I can see if my dimension choice was right , or needs adjusting . Thanks for the link , it saves time . Boy Rabbit put some time , energy , and talent to work on that !

Have a Blessed Memorial Day remembering the fallen who gave all that we might remain free , and free others from tyranny , and horrors . GOD Bless them in JESUS' NAME ! AMEN !

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
My first Gannon (top left) arrived today. Here it is amongst its wide-ribbon brothers.

View attachment 50886

CMMD , Bad to the Bone ! Fine Gannon , and the rest of your collection , also . Wear it Well ! And give us a Full Report ... . What colors do you have on the Rack ?

... a side note , it seems weird not hearing from Anthony and Chamuco for a bit ...

Last edited:
I'm no expert Eli , but from the one (actually two) that I have , and the Hats I remember as a kid , they are lighter , and more malleable (shape easier) , and much softer . But I could be wrong , but that's my experience .

High quality felt came / comes in different weights. Felt pliability is style specific. For example a high end vintage Homburg like hat would have a stiffer brim and a pliable crown (this started during felt production). Being able to control the entire process from felt to finished hat was very important. For example this 1930s JHS "Superior" has extremely high quality felt (super dense and of medium weight) but not pliable by design (notice no side dents). Of course JHS controlled the entire process from felt to finished hat.

3723009953_0d95d16a13_b.jpg

3723010547_e2f2d036e5_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael