Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M1889 Campaign Hat refurb project

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my M1899 refurb of a hat from Coon Creek Sutlers that was supposed to be an Indian Wars campaign hat. I posted this in the Campaign Hat Corps thread but decided to give it its own thread, too. Basically I re-ribboned it, took out the cheap sweat and liner, and sewed in some leather close to spec dimensions, added brim stitch, 1" vents, and creased it fore and aft, and trimmed the brim a tapered 3" on the sides, 2 3/4" front and back. BTW it's wool, some originals were, apparently:

0109131433.jpg

01091314341.jpg

0109131434a.jpg

0109131435.jpg

0109131435a.jpg

0109131435b.jpg

01091314361.jpg

0109131436a.jpg

dean

1961MJS

Hi Dean

The hat looks good and period correct per the pictures in the Campaign hat thread. I like a high crown PERSONALLY though. I was wondering how long those wool hats lasted in the Indian wars etc. My British Bush hat from WW2 (reproduction by What Price Glory) was soaked in a 1 hour 3 inch rain and shrunk. The hat went from no taper to about 30 degrees from vertical.

later

deanglen

Thank you for your responses! I'm in the process of period correct crease re-shaping, a radically tight pinch that takes hot water, so I'll let you know how it comes out. Can't answer the question about all the shrinking and tapering from getting wet back in the day. Looking at the period photos, those hats did look the worse for wear...which is why I love them!:D You see I have never been the typical Lounger type. Neat city fedoras always looked all wrong on my head. The crease is like the ones on these originals. Back row, second from left, is what I'm going for:

earlycmpaignhats.jpg

dean

Last edited:

deanglen

Here is the crease redone with greater period uniqueness. It does cause the hat to sit higher on your head, and gives the crown a lowering. I like it because it's different, it keeps the hat from being just another cowboy hat.

0110131809.jpg

0110131809a.jpg

0110131810.jpg

0110131807.jpg

0110131808.jpg

0110131807a.jpg

dean

1961MJS

Hi Dean

From the pictures, uniforms weren't uniform in from 1866 until about 1918. That includes the hats. Those boys did about EVERYTHING to their campaign hats.

Later

liten

One of the Regulars
Great job with your hats dean , and good to see you back. ps if anyone is intrested the bronze mesh are for sale on ebay

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for your responses! I'm in the process of period correct crease re-shaping, a radically tight pinch that takes hot water, so I'll let you know how it comes out. Can't answer the question about all the shrinking and tapering from getting wet back in the day. Looking at the period photos, those hats did look the worse for wear...which is why I love them!:D You see I have never been the typical Lounger type. Neat city fedoras always looked all wrong on my head. The crease is like the ones on these originals. Back row, second from left, is what I'm going for:

earlycmpaignhats.jpg

dean
Those hats have seen some adventure! This is a very interesting thread.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
My pleasure, Dean. I am curious...why put vents in your hat, when they don't seem to have been used in the originals?

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
My pleasure, Dean. I am curious...why put vents in your hat, when they don't seem to have been used in the originals?

I am sure Dean can add more in terms of the specific details, but the vents were used on the originals. Here's a pic I took, and posted on the other thread, of an original 1889. (Sorry for the duplication...)

P1000832.jpg

Rathdown

Practically Family
As I recall from my reenacting days (C-Troop, 6th Cavalry, 1885-86) the ventilators came in c.1884. If you go on line and look at the Bianchi Leather poster "The Troopers" (that's me in the overcoat) you'll see how the hats got their shapes simply by wearing them. My guess is that in the field a campaign hat would last a year or two at the most; those garrisoned in the East (in the 1880s) probably saw their hats last a bit longer. Shrinkage, btw, was never a problem and we used to beat the bejeezus out of our hats, riding in all sorts of weather.

deanglen

The vents I used were the proper size, (1"), but the vent edges are not strictly correct, they should be brass and about 1/8" wide with a cross-hatch pattern:

28_5c60197dfe6e95d2a1e9807a00c0e306.jpg

28_8cd7449440fc1a886cbd737eb03dd1c4.jpg

027-1024x768.jpg

And I love the officer in this drawing. That's the Campaign Hat icon for me.

KGrHqJHJEkFDK-5NfBQ5Gep1Fg60_57_zpsc3f3f18a.jpg

dean

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran